Shut Off Switch - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Shut Off Switch

I live in philadelphia and i park my bike out on the sidewalk everyday with only the axel locked and a heavy duty U-Lock through the front wheel. I want to install a swith on my bike that disconects all power to the bike unless its on. i was thinking about puttig the switch between the main ground and the battery with some clever placement so its hidden but accesable but im not sure how good that is to do. And also im wondering if theres a way to do it so i dont loose my tripometer etc. Anythoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
You won't lose your trip from having the battery disconnected, I believe it writes to an EPROM so shutting the bike off won't affect it. Regardless of how they do it, I know for a fact that removing the battery won't lose your mileage.

As far as mounting the switch, I'd suggest something small and waterproof stashed under the tail, as close as you can to the seat. I have an old Kawi with no key that I used this trick for and it works like a charm.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #3 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

You would need a monster switch to carry the current if you choose to use the main ground.

A better approach would be to utilize the kill switch and wire a second switch in series with it. Mount it as Bock919 suggests.

post #4 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 10:00 AM

I'm with ^.

While getting a switch to carry enough current wouldn't be a problem, it would be much easier to hide a smaller switch. You can probably fish the kill switch wire right out of the harness and mount your switch up near the gauge cluster.

post #5 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 AM

FYI, if you pull the headlights off and fish through the wiring the lead to the kill switch is White/Black

post #6 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Centurion

nm

post #7 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

If theft is a real concern, for all the trouble install a real alarm. Most motorcycle thefts are simply tossed in a truck or on a trailer and hauled away. An alarm would provide greater protection. and probably not that much harder to install then your "James Bond" switch.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #8 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
If theft is a real concern, for all the trouble install a real alarm. Most motorcycle thefts are simply tossed in a truck or on a trailer and hauled away. An alarm would provide greater protection. and probably not that much harder to install then your "James Bond" switch.
My james bond switch would cost all of a maximum of 5 dollers IF THAT haha a alarm would cost at least 50 and i little more hastle then i care for. If you can find a cheap alarm that works by all means let me know and ill definitally check it out

post #9 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmicg View Post
My james bond switch would cost all of a maximum of 5 dollers IF THAT haha a alarm would cost at least 50 and i little more hastle then i care for. If you can find a cheap alarm that works by all means let me know and ill definitally check it out
Toggle switch to arm (or relay to power tilt switches when ignition is off), two level switches (one for tilt left, one for tilt right) and a cheap horn. All mounted under the seat, horn blast directed as "outward/downward" as possible. That's about as cheap as your gonna get for an alarm.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #10 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Most motorcycle thefts are simply tossed in a truck or on a trailer and hauled away.
+1

Closed van with 2 or more strong guys: drive up, get out, grab bike, toss in back, drive away, disable alarm while moving; on the scene for less than 30 seconds. A second kill switch won't matter to them one bit.

post #11 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmicg View Post
Gorilla alarm will do just what you are looking for. Extremely easy to install and fairly inexpensive.

post #12 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase

Well if your theory about 2 strong men and a van actually happens then its ment by god or whoever to happen... i can only do so much without spending huge amounts of money to prevent something like this... I am more worried about A-HOLE kids who wanna mess with it or take joy rides... The only way to stop a pro is to keep the bike in sight at all times, anyone who really wants to steal it will

Remeber the saying: Locks are made to keep honest people honest

There is no mention in that of proffesional bike theifs

post #13 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Tesserarius

When I was stealing bikes for a living I would just roll it into a van and take off, I wouldn't even use the side stand, just dump it on the deck. Hell I didn't care. What might have slowed me down was a big chain through the frame and around the lampost!

post #14 of 19 Old 08-24-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOBMAN View Post
What might have slowed me down was a big chain through the frame and around the lampost!
Exactly what I was thinking. Big chain and big lock would make the bike much harder to steal.

You could just leave your lock and chain always around the lampost and you would only have to carry a small key.

post #15 of 19 Old 08-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Hornet Grandpa!

If you won't buy the big chain and tempered steel padlock (me either) then add the steering lock to your current method. Makes it tough to move around if it only goes in circles.

post #16 of 19 Old 08-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
If you won't buy the big chain and tempered steel padlock (me either) then add the steering lock to your current method. Makes it tough to move around if it only goes in circles.
Someone posted here a while back about how easy it was to shear the pin off the steering lock. I think it's another one of those tools for preventing theft by the "honest" thieves.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #17 of 19 Old 08-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Hornet Grandpa!

Security shoud take a "layered" approach. The steering lock, a chain and padlock, a cutoff switch, leaving the bike in your sight, all are defeatable but in combination, they slow the crook down and make him decide if it's worth it.

When I go to Walmart, I always park my 919 in the yellow stripe area right up near the big crosswalk leading through the front doors. People walk past it right and left. I leave my jacket, helmet, and gloves on the bike. The deterent is that if someone took them, they'd have to do it in front of all the people going in and out of the store. Someday someone will take them, I know, but the concept is to make the thief decide if the risk is worth it.

post #18 of 19 Old 08-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Just ride around inside Wal-Mart. Those people on carts do it.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #19 of 19 Old 08-25-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
Security shoud take a "layered" approach. The steering lock, a chain and padlock, a cutoff switch, leaving the bike in your sight, all are defeatable but in combination, they slow the crook down and make him decide if it's worth it.

When I go to Walmart, I always park my 919 in the yellow stripe area right up near the big crosswalk leading through the front doors. People walk past it right and left. I leave my jacket, helmet, and gloves on the bike. The deterent is that if someone took them, they'd have to do it in front of all the people going in and out of the store. Someday someone will take them, I know, but the concept is to make the thief decide if the risk is worth it.
Thats exactly what i think to... i lock the sterring leave it in a high gear (just to slow them down) have a krypotnite u lock going through the front wheel and rotors, and its on one of the busiest streets in philly... do yall think thats enough or should i go the extra mile...?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode