Should I replace wheel bearings in wheels? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Should I replace wheel bearings in wheels?

I recently purchased a front and rear wheel for the niner from ebay. I was planning on replacing the wheel bearing grease seals but not planning on replacing the wheel bearing due to seller saying wheels were low mileage. I was planning on getting the wheels powder coated and wasn't sure if I was asking for trouble not changing them. If it necessary to replace them, what is the best way? It looks like a pain in the ass! Any info would help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Cornicen

it's a non issue, where you gonna get grease seals from? if the powder coaters know their sh?t just run with it.

post #3 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Personally I would replace them. Get ahold of one of these tools. They make the task quite simple. Heat the wheel up a little with a hair dryer or heat gun, stick the main piece in the bearing, use the rod to expand and lock the main piece, then drive it out.

When you're ready to install the new bearing heat the wheel up the same way. It doesn't have to be smoking hot, just slightly warm. Put the new bearing in and use a socket the same diameter as the outer race to drive it home with a hammer.

I've done this quite a few times and always had good luck with it. If you use this method just take your time driving the new bearing in. Make sure you keep it straight. If it starts to cock at an angle then drive the high side to straighten it out.

That's my brief explanation. You can probably find longer writeups on the net.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 02:39 AM
Pilus Posterior

I usually use the old bearing to drive the new in.

post #5 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 03:41 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
I usually use the old bearing to drive the new in.
I've done that too. The only problem I had is when the old bearing gets stuck in the housing, hence a slightly smaller socket. It's all according to how deep the wheel bearing housing is.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

HondaJim,

Is that a store bought tool? If so, is it called a bearing extractor? I work in the automotive field and they love to name certain parts and tools crazy things so when you go looking for them the people helping you think your smoking crack. If I can find the tool I will certainly change them out. Possibly a store like Cycle Gear might have them? Thanks!

post #7 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm440 View Post
HondaJim,

Is that a store bought tool? If so, is it called a bearing extractor? I work in the automotive field and they love to name certain parts and tools crazy things so when you go looking for them the people helping you think your smoking crack. If I can find the tool I will certainly change them out. Possibly a store like Cycle Gear might have them? Thanks!
I got mine here

Posse WHEEL BEARING REMOVER SET

Worked like a charm

post #8 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 PM
919>food>beer

they normally call them slide hammers, they have a weight that slides along the shaft and hammers the bearings out. I picked up a cheap one at HF and it works well... but it doesn't have the expanding ends like that one.

OTC 4579 - Stinger 9 Way Slide Hammer Puller Set

post #9 of 19 Old 04-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
HondaJim,

Metric wheel bearing remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I got mine here

Posse WHEEL BEARING REMOVER SET

Worked like a charm
Yep, that'll do. Mine is a MotionPro and is about $20 more than that one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
they normally call them slide hammers, they have a weight that slides along the shaft and hammers the bearings out. I picked up a cheap one at HF and it works well... but it doesn't have the expanding ends like that one.

OTC 4579 - Stinger 9 Way Slide Hammer Puller Set
The set I have doesn't have a slide hammer. You hammer the end of the rod.

post #10 of 19 Old 04-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Hastatus Posterior

Just ageneral question, at what sort of milage should you be looking at your bearings?

post #11 of 19 Old 04-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Just ageneral question, at what sort of milage should you be looking at your bearings?
They are easy to check whenever you have the wheel off for tire replacement. You can rotate the inner race with your finger and feel for any roughness. The main thing is to make sure if you do feel something it's actually the bearing. The inner spacer will sometimes make you think you have a rough feeling bearing when it's actually the spacer.

post #12 of 19 Old 04-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Seems to me I got about 50 000Kms from the OEM rear bearings. Replaced with a non-OEM bearing and got 80 000kms before I replaced them and they weren't even too bad. Just peace of mind.

Spoiler:

post #13 of 19 Old 04-01-2010, 03:35 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
I recently purchased a front and rear wheel for the niner from ebay. I was planning on replacing the wheel bearing grease seals but not planning on replacing the wheel bearing due to seller saying wheels were low mileage. I was planning on getting the wheels powder coated and wasn't sure if I was asking for trouble not changing them. If it necessary to replace them, what is the best way? It looks like a pain in the ass! Any info would help.
If you're getting the wheels powdercoated, you'll need to at least remove the wheel bearings. Whether or not you replace them is up to you.

post #14 of 19 Old 04-15-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Are there any specific brands of bearings anybody recommends? There has been a couple sets on ebay, but always would rather have a recommendation.

post #15 of 19 Old 04-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

As a bearing engineer in a previous life I can say do your very best to not buy cheap bearings imported from China. There is real crap out there as aftermarket hardware. Life is too short to cheapen up on this.

Product from Japan, Germany, US or Europe from companies like SKF, Koyo, FAG, INA etc. are good manufacturers.

If it were me, if i could not pick up a part and look for the manufacturer, I would buy Honda OEM. Those would be from Japan.

my 2 cents,
Mark

post #16 of 19 Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

All Balls are high quality and always highly recommended.

All Balls Products

post #17 of 19 Old 04-15-2010, 10:48 PM
yzarc mi os

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
All Balls are high quality and always highly recommended.

All Balls Products
All balls makes a good bearing. I have them in axle hub on my trx533r. Let me tell you if you want to torture a bearing put it in the hub of a good sport quad.

So far they have held up at least as good as the OEM's And I'm not the least bit a light guy and I sure am not afraid of heights.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-16-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the heads up. Getting the bearing remover tomorrow and gonna send the wheels out. Can't wait to see how the wheels will look on the bike when they're done.

post #19 of 19 Old 04-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Just for our own curiosity...
When you knock out the old bearings look and see who the manufacturer was and where they were made. It should be embossed on the face of the outer race - very small letters.
Then look also at the new bearings to see where they are imported from. Bearing manufacturers are required to show this info on their parts.
Thanks!
Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode