shake rattle n roll - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

shake rattle n roll

What's fallen off your niner lately?

It seems like there is something about the frequency of this engine that can magically unscrew things. I swapped tires yesterday and to my surprise, found that i'd lost an axle pinch bolt, and i'm pretty sure i torqued them all to spec.

The first thing I lost was one of the alternator cover screws, from the top center (where the groove in the cover is).

I also picked up an oem screen, went for a weekend trip, and after a few hrs to get to the rally, had lost 2 of 4 screws. ziptied it in place, then lost a 3rd. ziptied.. the only one that stayed was one i'd lost the washers for, and had cut a washer out of some gasket material. Ghetto, but it worked!

Maybe i need a gremlin bell.
Anyone else's niner slowly attempting to disassemble itself? I mean i know it's naked, but damn have some decency!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

70K and no issues that you describe; just normal maintenance via wear and tear.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #3 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 03:40 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Check your torque wrench, use blue loctite, use "witness paint" to mark your fasteners and glance over them before/after your ride. The here, never had issues like that with the niner.

post #4 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Only thing I had fall off the niner was the clutch pivot bolt. Recently found a loose bolt on the coil, but I think I may not have tightened it good after my last valve checks.

I did loctite the bar ends and shifter bolt when I first bought the bike.

post #5 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Robert

Garage
Never lost one but haven't wracked up the miles some have.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #6 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Tirone

I lost my clutch bolt and once after I wrecked I replaced my foot pegs didn't have loctite so I decided to just loctite it when I arrived at work on the way I lost the bolt that hold my shifter in place so I had to ride 30 miles while poping the throttle and shifting by hand on a related note if done right you can modify a socket for the spacer that goes in place under the shifter

post #7 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Left of Centre

Yeah, I've had a little bit of this just lately. After doing my lo-mount exhaust conversion recently, and having the whole tail-end apart, I was pretty sure I had snugged everything down but I lost a bolt from my Givi rack on my 600km round trip a couple of weeks ago, the one where I also picked up a puncture.

So I pulled the matching bolt and headed off to buy a replacement - no problem. Got home with the spare parts only to find, when I once again pulled the rear bodywork off, that the original bolt had fallen into the rear bodywork to one side of the seat, and had remained there all the way home. The shelf now has some spares waiting, should it ever happen again.

When I put the lo-mount ssystem on, I didn't insulate the struts which carry the weight of the muffler back up to the footpeg mount - I now have a few fibre washers in place there, and the vibration has been quelled noticeably, so I wondered whether I had actually slipped up on the tightening, or whether the extra bit of vibration did it.

Ages ago, I also dropped a mounting bolt off my Givi screen, and repaired it with some washers and an appropriate bolt....which is still in place, since Givi only do the whole mounting bundle, for $99.

I also had some trouble with my after-market footpegs for a short time, until I took the Loctite route with them...

post #8 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Will fly for food.

Garage
Last year I pulled the SV650 all apart to paint a lot of the parts and on the first test ride one of the front calipers fell off. D'oh!!!

Then the Ninja I had always wanted to loosen the subframe bolts and one of the main headlight attach bolts, even though they were properly torqued. Red loctite fixed that

I haven't had anything go wrong with the 919,

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #9 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

there was also the chain tension adjuster issue that Rob pointed out. before i pulled off my rear wheel this weekend i noticed that the right one was loose. ie i could turn it in with my fingers.
who knows, maybe i'm just lucky.

post #10 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 07:11 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I lost two screws that hold the rear hugger/chain guard on, and the screw holding my exhaust sheild on fell off and the shield dropped onto my ankle going down the highway. I had plastidipped the shield and apparently the screw didn't seat down all the way.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #11 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 08:42 AM
NineOneNiner

Last night I lost my shifter bolt. First thing to ever go wrong on this 22k mile niner of mine. Thank goodness for the flashlight on my samsung galaxy, because i found it a half a block up the road. I had to just get the bike from 2nd into 1st... neutral was easy. It wouldn't go into first, until I rolled the bike. What a pain it is when these things happen at night, and you're working in the dark. I somehow got the threads started and rolled home with the bolt partially screwed in.

Riding 10 miles only in first gear sucks. I later realized... let me wind this thing up to 40mph in first, then squeeze the clutch in and coast, so i don't have to be constantly engine braking. That worked a bit better, and it got me back.

A cop stopped me as I was trying to work on my bike as well, and of course he had to run my plates, ask me for my license... all the standard cop stuff. Why can't they just be helpful? I guess it's just standard procedure, but it just annoys me that every time I have an encounter with a police officer they have to run a background check on you for no apparent reason. There has got to be at least 10 better things they can be doing with their time, than harassing people that are already in a stressful situation. I was in a small parking lot behind a business at 11pm about 5 feet from the road, since I didn't want to get hit by a car on a busy street.

Loctite is on my shopping list today. It looks like I need to grease the outer bushing section of the bolt as well, before torquing it back in.

03 Honda 919 - Custom Blue Metallic - Sato Racing Pipes - Power Commander - Sargent Seat - Rizoma Mirrors & Levers - Progrips - Renthal Bars - Powder Coated Rims/Pipes - Clear Alternatives Tail - LED Blinkers
07 Lexus SC430 - Starfire Pearl White - Pebble Beach Edition (1 of 400)
04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2
post #12 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Fun story bro! ;-)

Sorry, have to give you a bad time. Maybe you should have ridden that grandma car of yours....

You're lucky you found your bolt - I think Osiris lost his on a busy 4 lane freeway, so yeah... there wasn't much he could do. Had to order a whole new linkage assembly.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #13 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
....the screw holding my exhaust shield on fell off and the shield dropped onto my ankle going down the highway.
Yeah, I forgot I dropped one of these a while ago, too. Hmm, the list is growing....

post #14 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 11:33 AM
NineOneNiner

Hahaha yeah goog, the droptop would have been the better choice last night.

This thread makes me want to go around the entire bike and just retorque everything before i take it out again Time to play quality control inspector

03 Honda 919 - Custom Blue Metallic - Sato Racing Pipes - Power Commander - Sargent Seat - Rizoma Mirrors & Levers - Progrips - Renthal Bars - Powder Coated Rims/Pipes - Clear Alternatives Tail - LED Blinkers
07 Lexus SC430 - Starfire Pearl White - Pebble Beach Edition (1 of 400)
04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2
post #15 of 17 Old 10-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Another thing to add to the Locktite list.

I went to unlock my seat this morning and it wouldn't unlock. Luckily a little fiddling and I got it removed. Upon further inspection the bolt that holds the seat latch mechanism in place had loosened enough for the alignment pin beside it to escape from the hole and the mechanism had rotated out of location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat latch.JPG (52.7 KB, 14 views)

post #16 of 17 Old 10-11-2014, 08:20 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Found an air duct retainer bolt missing from the MC22, no big deal. One of the gas tank bolts had worked itself loose, a little scary but the other one was still in place. I blame rushing prep for the track day, but am sooooooo glad she held together for it.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #17 of 17 Old 10-13-2014, 07:52 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Another thing to add to the Locktite list.

I went to unlock my seat this morning and it wouldn't unlock. Luckily a little fiddling and I got it removed. Upon further inspection the bolt that holds the seat latch mechanism in place had loosened enough for the alignment pin beside it to escape from the hole and the mechanism had rotated out of location.
After having this happen 3 or 4 times to me I finally lock tited mine a couple weeks ago...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode