Shadow's thread of ADVENTURE! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Shadow's thread of ADVENTURE!

Damn, today was just a perfect day, in every way. Sunny and in the 60's.... Hope met up with me this morning so we could go riding, she's been pining to go out for a couple weeks now (she's a wuss with the cold, actually put her Spyder up for the winter...Pshaw!)

Anyhow, we met up. I needed to go to south Denver (about 40 miles) to run an errand so she came along. After that, we figured out that a friend of ours from Nebraska (sorry, not doug...a different friend) Anyway, our friend was in a town called Sterling, about 150 miles northeast of Denver out where the flatlanders & farmers live....so we took off! Got there around 4, hung out for a bit and then we all went to a great little mexican restaurant for dinner. After dinner, Hope and I took off for home, and it was a glorious sundowner ride headed back west, just absolutely gorgeous! We stopped in a little town for gas and then got back on the highway when it happened....

....There we were, a 130 miles from home, and my clutch cable decided to give up the ghost. Damn. Fuck. Shit. ...well, at least I was on the superslab so no stoplights to hassle with for about 120 miles, just gassed up, I've practiced clutchless shifting, so I'm pretty good to go! Now it's dusk...getting dark. hmm....keep on keepin on.

Hope needed to get home, so I told her to send out the search party if she didn't hear from me and off she went. Now I'm 100 miles from home, in the dark. with a goddam broken cable. oh well, keep on going.

I planned my route out in my head to minimize the stoplights I'd encounter along the way, going about 15 miles out of my way, but staying with the interstate until I could hit the surface highway near my house...made the exit onto the highway no prob...until about 10 miles from home, the highway is being shut down for road construction for the night...FUCK! well, I made it in the nick of time, before the road got shut down for good, and made it to the exit nearest my house. only 3stoplights to sweat...made the 1st one, timed the light and then turned at the second one....3rd one turns yellow then red just as I get to it, and there's cross-traffic so I can't run it....so I had to stop.

Well, I'm on a flat section of road. I cant run alongside the bike and then hop on very well cause I have luggage attached. I get it in neutral and start paddling my feet like Fred Flintstone, but just can't quite get going quick enough to pop into gear and take off. I push along for about 200 yards, and then turn off on a side street...the side street is headed uphill into a residential neighborhood. ...but I'm only 1.5 miles from home!

I take a minute to rest. As I 'm standing there in the dark, I look around and realize the the hill crests after about 50 yards, and then goes downhill for about 300 yards! Hooray!!!

Hop on the bike, ignition on...in neutral...paddle, paddle, paddle....pop into gear...Vroom Vroom!!!

a couple minutes later, I coast into the driveway, made it home in one piece!

Task for tomorrow, locate a new clutch cable. TWO new cables in fact! (AH-AH-AH!) so that I'll have a spare for the next time this happens, if ever.

Anybody have some good advice on the best place to get this from, assuming that the local stealer will want $40-$50??? I've seen em listed on ebay pretty cheap, like $15 or so....but they are probly gonna be on the slow boat from China. I'd like em reasonably priced, and reasonably fast..which means FAST!

Anyway, that was my day of adventure and fun...hope you enjoyed reading about it.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Glad ya made it without too much drama...

Seriously...Glad ya made it!

The Iron butt competitions must be nothing to you guys Doesn't sound right no matter how I type it....

I don't think a clutch cable is something you should have to carry with you, but a crimp on end with plyers might not be a bad idea

Pics: https://www.wristtwisters.com/album.php?albumid=176

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
2004 Honda 919 Silver and Black w/red accents
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Buell M2 shield - plasti dip black
Givi Crash bars
Dynojet PCIII, Custom Akrapovic map
Akrapovic GSXR 750 Exhaust, Shorty Carbon fiber Low mount
Custom weld job on OEM header, to enable use of center stand and GSXR exhaust
VFR front fender, re-shaped and CF wrapped
Seargent seat w/ gel insert
Custom LED Rear lights w/ Vizi-tech flasher
Competition Works Fender Eliminator, modified
Front 3-way LED Turn Signals flushmount via cbr1000r
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Michelin Pilot Road 3 - New @ 19940 8/10/11 190/55r17 rear
Dyna Beads for tire balancing
17t / 44t Sprockets, 520 conversion from LDH
New All-balls bearings thru-out 6/2012
Piaa horns 400 & 500 hertz
Ohlins rear shock from an F3, Re-Valved/Sprung- By Pro Pilot Suspension
F4i Forks, custom sprung/sealed/valved, Plasti-dipped Black
ASV shorty clutch and front brake levers - Black W/Red Adj.
Tech-Spec custom tank Pads
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Custom Handle Bars with Grip Heaters and OEM hidden switch, Hi/Lo heat
FuzeBlocks FZ-1 Power Distribution
Shorai Battery
F2P garage door opener wired to brake switch
Hydraulic rear brake switch
RC51 front brakes SP1, with 10 button rotors
Buell Ulysses Dropped Foot Peg conversion
Powdercoated: 22+ parts
etc, etc,
post #3 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnceguy View Post
Glad ya made it without too much drama...

Seriously...Glad ya made it!

The Iron butt competitions must be nothing to you guys Doesn't sound right no matter how I type it....

I don't think a clutch cable is something you should have to carry with you, but a crimp on end with plyers might not be a bad idea
Thanks, i am too. I could have been still out walking somewhere! The pliers trick only works if the cable breaks right near the end, where you can grab it...right?

"The Shadow"
post #4 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Try Ron Ayers for a new one. Or your local dealer.

One trick is to buy a spare and run it along with the new one. That way if you ever break the main one you just disconnect it and hook up the spare.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Thanks, i am too. I could have been still out walking somewhere! The pliers trick only works if the cable breaks right near the end, where you can grab it...right?
Yeah, pretty much. Usually does break at the end, but which end....

Either way, you should be able to inspect your cables and see if they have issues. If they show any fray or wear (rust, corrosion, bends/kinks), just replace them. I've always thought if I've had to re-lube them much, or if they siezed more than once, it may be a good time to replace them too. But then again, I need help....

I'm just glad ya made it safely, lots of people woulda been calling the tow truck, or having unfortunate endings to the trip...

Pics: https://www.wristtwisters.com/album.php?albumid=176

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
2004 Honda 919 Silver and Black w/red accents
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Buell M2 shield - plasti dip black
Givi Crash bars
Dynojet PCIII, Custom Akrapovic map
Akrapovic GSXR 750 Exhaust, Shorty Carbon fiber Low mount
Custom weld job on OEM header, to enable use of center stand and GSXR exhaust
VFR front fender, re-shaped and CF wrapped
Seargent seat w/ gel insert
Custom LED Rear lights w/ Vizi-tech flasher
Competition Works Fender Eliminator, modified
Front 3-way LED Turn Signals flushmount via cbr1000r
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Michelin Pilot Road 3 - New @ 19940 8/10/11 190/55r17 rear
Dyna Beads for tire balancing
17t / 44t Sprockets, 520 conversion from LDH
New All-balls bearings thru-out 6/2012
Piaa horns 400 & 500 hertz
Ohlins rear shock from an F3, Re-Valved/Sprung- By Pro Pilot Suspension
F4i Forks, custom sprung/sealed/valved, Plasti-dipped Black
ASV shorty clutch and front brake levers - Black W/Red Adj.
Tech-Spec custom tank Pads
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Custom Handle Bars with Grip Heaters and OEM hidden switch, Hi/Lo heat
FuzeBlocks FZ-1 Power Distribution
Shorai Battery
F2P garage door opener wired to brake switch
Hydraulic rear brake switch
RC51 front brakes SP1, with 10 button rotors
Buell Ulysses Dropped Foot Peg conversion
Powdercoated: 22+ parts
etc, etc,
post #6 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Glad you were able to ride it home. Just curious if you regularly lubed it?...and where did it break?

Thanks

post #7 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Ok, here's the update...The cable broke where Mtnceguy figured it did, just shy of the lever. I had never lubed it prior to my trip out to Virginia last fall, but the shop I took it to for a once over after I bought it did that for me. by the time I got back it was noticeably harder to pull...I've lubed it regularly since then. After talking to the prior owner, I know he never lubed it ever in the 6 years he owned it...and it's lived outside most of it's life, besides, based on the faded color of the hand controls. his words: "you need to lube those?" To be fair, he did do good maintenance otherwise based on the records he kept.

The cable did have noticeable wear where it eventually broke, I knew it was only a matter of time. I have read everything on the subject I could find here on WT, but I have never read how often it should be lubed. I've been lubing it in time with my chain maintenance. Also, what's a good mileage expectation to get from a clutch cable?

"The Shadow"
post #8 of 9 Old 03-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Optio

Ok, confession time. I've never lubed a cable.

Actually, I've owned the 9er less than a year, and my previous bikes had teflon cables that didn't require lube. Question: Does the 919 also have teflon cables, or are they old-school cables that require lube? (Yes, I know some folks lube regardless of cable type, but that's not the question.)

post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
Ok, confession time. I've never lubed a cable.

Actually, I've owned the 9er less than a year, and my previous bikes had teflon cables that didn't require lube. Question: Does the 919 also have teflon cables, or are they old-school cables that require lube? (Yes, I know some folks lube regardless of cable type, but that's not the question.)
simple answer, I would recommend lubing the cables on your 919

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode