Selling my 9'er - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 07-11-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Selling my 9'er

How much should I post her up for? 2004, lots and lots of mods. Gotta do it for multiple reasons.

1. I'm crazy on it
2. Well that's about it. I don't wanna die.

Thinking about getting a Suzuki C50 to try and tame me a little bit.

2 > 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I remember those young days being crazy, and invincible. If you haven't reached self control maturity you may be saving yourself. Don't expect a big windfall. Check the current ad prices and price relatively depending on your motivation. You can always get another one later. Good luck!

post #3 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 04:31 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Taming yourself requires self-control on the right wrist, not necessarily what that wrist is gripping. Test ride a C50 and do some soul searching to see if that's really the answer to the concern.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #4 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 04:37 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post
How much should I post her up for? 2004, lots and lots of mods. Gotta do it for multiple reasons.

1. I'm crazy on it
2. Well that's about it. I don't wanna die.

Thinking about getting a Suzuki C50 to try and tame me a little bit.
My honest feeling... If you are wreckless on one bike, you will be wreckless on another. I am not saying give up motorcycling. I am saying self evaluate. Think!

You are young and prone to doing some dumb stuff... but really think about this. It is not the bike's fault you speed, do wheelies, drive into the hood where you feel you need to carry a gun. Nope, the bike have little to do with any of it.

You are responsible for you actions on base and where ever you are in uniform. I am believing when in uniform and in public, you behave accordingly.
The bike is just a different uniform. Ride with different people. Distance yourself from your "club" and just ride.

Self evaluate... Why do you ride?

1) for speed
2) for the thrill
3) for the image

If your answers look like the ones I have listed, quit riding.

If you answers look more like
1) time alone to think.
2) feeling of being closer with the road, nature and myself
3) the sense of taking a break from hectic life....

Then by all means, keep riding, but change the circumstance of riding that has you thinking of selling.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #5 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 06:25 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Well your mature enough to make that assessment so that is a good thing.I know speaking of myself that if I had gotten a bike in my 20`s I would have never made it to my 30`s.

post #6 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 06:45 AM
Tirone

The cruiser is not a bad idea. You cannot lay that thing on its side going thru the twisties and it's pretty impossible to do a wheelie or stoppie.

Just turning a cruiser is like turning a battleship when compared to a 919 (or other sport(y) bike).

The C50 (or the like) will force you to take it a little easier.

Now on to your question.
I am not familiar with your bike like I'm sure many on this forum are. How many miles, how many low sides, how many high sides, and what mods?

New ones (left over '07 stock) at the dealer are going for about $7K. Crappy ones are going for $3.5K. So, I suggest you should list it somewhere in the middle...

'09 FJR; '07 919
post #7 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Dragon Slayer

Two things will slow you down. Pain and fear of death. I got my first dirt bike in 1981 and did trail riding only for 20 years. In '01 I bought my first street bike. I averaged 6 to 8 thoushand miles a year for 5 years. Blew up a ZX-11 doing 175 MPH, and walked away without a scratch. Track days, more fast bikes (and some slow ones). Nothing changed, the need for speed continued. And then came a low side on a GSXR 750. And later a high side on the same bike. 2 years later I still like the speed, the thrill of carving a corner but now I know the spectre of death awaits on the other side of that blind corner I used to take at 80 MPH and I slow down. My crashes were not horrific, but they were painfull and instructive.

post #8 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 01:35 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

sell bike = ginormous loss.

I have 3. I can only ride one at a time. I would rather park em and look at them than loose $5K on one of them, only to see some jerk off kid take off the turnsignals, strip the wheels and procede to rip the crap out of one of them.

Tired of your bike? Don't think you want it this week. Park it. In a month or 2 you'll be glad you did.

post #9 of 24 Old 07-13-2008, 05:31 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I have to side with my fellow brethren on this, keep the bike, garage it, polish it, hell, make it a centerpiece in your living room and serve drinks off it, you WILL regret dumping it man! ive personally lost track of the number of bikes ive owned. I will say this too, my 919 is by far the best bike ive ever owned, bar-none.
as a sideline, due at work just got a cruiser after owning a 250 ninja, long story short, it dont take corner like the ninj does, hes ok, the bike needs some TLC though.
food for thought from a crazy Arkie.

Bill

post #10 of 24 Old 07-13-2008, 05:44 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
I have to side with my fellow brethren on this, keep the bike, garage it, polish it, hell, make it a centerpiece in your living room and serve drinks off it, you WILL regret dumping it man! ive personally lost track of the number of bikes ive owned. I will say this too, my 919 is by far the best bike ive ever owned, bar-none.
food for thought from a crazy Arkie.

Bill
+1 This crazy Arkie is VERY WISE! 9er living room coffee table... Love it!

post #11 of 24 Old 07-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Tirone

I have owned six motorcycles in total, mostly sport bikes. I had the same thought as you a few years ago, sold my Superhawk (I miss that bike) and bought a VTX 1300. I hated every minute of it. I hated the power delivery, the handling and how you sat on it. I kept the VTX for six months, sold it (took a beating) and went without a bike for about a year. I bought my 919 in 2006 and it is probably the most enjoyable bike I have ever had. Sure once in a while I will wind it up a little but for the most part I rarely see 70 - 75 mph. I guess what I am trying to say is; it's not the bike it's the rider. Although I am a little older (34), I had a daughter a few years ago and grew up a little bit. It took me awhile to realize "it aint all about me anymore," I have responsabilities to a little person at home now. Most of my riding is with my wife now so I have modyfied the 919 for more comfort, Corbin and such but it is still a great all around bike and fun to ride solo or two up. I think you would be very disapoointed in a cruiser and I would suggest test riding as many as you can before you make a descision to buy.

post #12 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

A C50, or any cruiser for that matter, wouldn't be a good choice -- I give it a month before you slam all manner of hard parts into the ground in a corner and pitch it away.

Actually, just getting rid of the 919 is the equivalent of an alcoholic throwing out all the booze in their house -- it won't cure the addiction, just delay it for a short time.

Read hondaf4iguy's post very carefully several times and take it to heart -- there is no way I could have said it any better.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #13 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Just realizing that you ride crazy is evidence that you are heading in the right direction! Kudos! Take it to the next level and do what F4i and Rob suggest. If you decide to ride for the sake of riding, not only will you be a more mature rider, you'll be a better man.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #14 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 03:15 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

I had the same thought recently. I used to ride with some older guys, 35-55 mostly, we would meet every Sunday and really haul around the back roads hitting up all of the good twisties for three or four hours. Riding with them was fun, I almost always had a good time, but then I took a step back and realized that this is not what I want to be doing in 15, 20, 30 years when I have a wife a kids like these guys. My first thought was to sell the 9er, which is still a posibility for different reasons, but every time I ride it after only using the KLR for a week or two I am reminded of why I have been putting off selling it for 4 months.

post #15 of 24 Old 07-15-2008, 12:16 AM

I've had 4 brand new bikes since I was 16 years old. I'm 23 now, and I've grown and matured a lot since my first bike, a '00 GSX-R 750. I totaled a brand new '07 R6 on the way home from the dealership in April of this year (freak accident). It was rather scary, and I thought to myself... "This is friggin stupid, what the hell am I doing?" A few months later, a brand new 919 in my garage, full leathers... and I'm riding with a level of skill I never imagined. I keep up with the fastest guys around on their super-sports on my naked bike, and everyone is in awe that the 919 can do that. I knee-drag every smooth corner I can find. Guys at work just stare in amazement when I wheelie all the way down the street.

A couple things are happening...

I know what I do is really dangerous, and I could seriously die from it.

But... when I'm out carving up the twisties, faster than anyone I can get to ride with me, I'm free of the burden's of daily life.

I work a ton, and make a lot of money, but I pay for that with a high level of daily stress at work. Hyper-aggressive street riding is the only thing that let's me escape the world for a while.

Call me an idiot, stupid, careless, arrogant, inconsiderate, or any one of a million possible derogatory monikers.. but when you can admit that you are crazy on a motorcycle, and you fear you might die: Well that's a feeling that once you experience it, you'll be hard pressed to live without it. It's what separates the people who will skydive from those who won't. There's nothing like the sport bike feeling, and if you depart from it... next spring, it will bite you harder than you can imagine.

Sorry to intrude so brashly on my first post in this forum, but I think some of you might relate deep down.

Good luck with your addiction... I gave up smoking last year, and it was really hard. For me, this would be about as hard.

I'll smoke to that.

post #16 of 24 Old 07-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

idiot, stupid, careless, arrogant, inconsiderate, and any one of a million possible derogatory monikers

If you want to ride fast... GO to the track
If you want to improve... GO to the track
If you want to continue to ride stupid on the street, no need to brag about it here.

Admitting you are stupid is the first step. Doing nothing about it, proves your own findings.

I wish no one to ever get hurt on a bike, ever.
But if you know what you do is dumb and you continue to do and even glorify it....

Well... good luck to you.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #17 of 24 Old 07-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I never had a bike till i got the 919 4 years ago - the bike has taught me many things about myself.

I ride with a guys that are all older than me (i'm 33) and they are fast - riding with them has made me a better rider - when i ride with those guys, we ride spirited but very much in control. these guys all do track days and have greatly improved their already solid technique. i have plans to someday get to a trackday, and now having the 929 as a fallback if i wad up the 919 i still won't have to drive the truck.

I would agree that it's not the Bike - It's the Rider - and i agree with F4iGuy, the people you ride with greatly influence the trouble you get into.

and a Cruiser won't cure the beast inside you. I have a friend who 12 o'clocks a Rocket III and has removed close to 2 inches of rear fender with the street grinder. Once a Hooligan, always a Hooligan.

post #18 of 24 Old 07-15-2008, 08:10 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

If you tink its the right thing to do - more power to you. I would however strongly suggest you to ride one of what ever bike your looking at. I have ridden all manner of cruisers and I think the C50 is a good bike, but, it lacks something - I dont know if its a soul or HP, it just leaves me looking for something. In that range, id really give the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 a good look - Its a slight bit more expensive, but, its alot more bike.

post #19 of 24 Old 07-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Milites Gregarius

I had a Suzuki Volusha for 6 months. I would have had more fun on a bicycle.

post #20 of 24 Old 07-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Simon Barsinister

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

In addition to the 919 in the garage, I also have a 03 Shadow. Talk about two different worlds of riding. For all practical purposes, the Shadow is like riding a John Deere mower comapred to the 919. It does offer a completely different perspective when it comes to handling, cornering, acceleration, etc. etc. I do find myself scraping fancy chrome metal parts alot on the Shadow in the corners, but sometimes that is what I need to keep me focused and in touch with my abilities. For me it's about knowing my own limitations and not trying to keep up with what others do when riding. As the phrase goes, "That I ride is more important than what I ride".

post #21 of 24 Old 07-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

I ride because its fun sometimes ineed the punch,the speed,the day light under the front tire. Three things time,place and never to excess.This should be #1 if you ride like an @$$ WEAR THE GEAR you need for your riding style.

post #22 of 24 Old 07-15-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
idiot, stupid, careless, arrogant, inconsiderate, and any one of a million possible derogatory monikers

If you want to ride fast... GO to the track
If you want to improve... GO to the track
If you want to continue to ride stupid on the street, no need to brag about it here.

Admitting you are stupid is the first step. Doing nothing about it, proves your own findings.

I wish no one to ever get hurt on a bike, ever.
But if you know what you do is dumb and you continue to do and even glorify it....

Well... good luck to you.
Part of me wants to argue with you about how people constantly do things that don't make sense, and that could potentially harm themselves or others, but it's just going to feed into a bigger argument that happens too often for my patience level lately... you know the whole "TRACK TRACK TRACK or DIE" thing.

But just so you know, I'm not asking for anyone to condone riding unsafely, I'm just saying I like to do it; but I'm not bragging about it.

post #23 of 24 Old 07-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Hondastreetfigh:
Sure. Go ahead. Sell it.
In fact, I'll call you a ride afterwards:

Toughen up. You're not gonna die. Grow the F up & ride responsibly. Stop popping wheelies everywhere & save the hotdogging for the backroads or track. If you sell it you'll be sorry.

post #24 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

^ ^
v
waamulance, I love it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode