Seat height - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 06-14-2007, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Seat height

Anyone has had an experience with lowering their 599/919 by about 2 in.?

I know you can buy a lowering kit (-1 in) but what about the seat itself; can it be modified too?

My friend;s wife is 5' 2" and currently ride a Vulcan 500 but would love a 599...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-14-2007, 04:45 AM
Team Hornet

Hi,

I'm a few inches taller at 5'6"/165cm, but my legs are quite short (I make up for this by being pretty wide).

Whereas I was nearly able to get away with the bike in standard trim I found it hard to reverse-park and hence bit the bullet and had the suspension modded to lower the bike by approx 20mm.

The suspension guy pulled apart the front forks and did something to remove the top 20mm of travel. While he was in there he also revalved the shocks. He did the same to the rear, dropped it by 20mm and revalved the rear shock. The net result isn't that noticeable, especially after I had the sidestand shortened by the same amount, and now the bike is at a point where I can get the balls of each foot on the ground at once. Much better.

As an added benefit the handling is much improved over the standard valving, no pogo-ing, no dive under hard braking and no squat under acceleration.

I have a female friend that just had to have a 2006 ZX-6R. Alas she's just on 5' tall (and all curves ) and she had to have her new 6R lowered by 50-odd mm by the same method. Now she has the bike of her dreams, but she has to watch out for potholes and speed bumps otherwise the bike will bottom-out. It is noticably lower...actually it looks a bit odd .

I haven't looked at the seat, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of meat in there to play with and my aging bottom needs all the padding it can get...

...the suspension work is not that cheap though .

post #3 of 5 Old 06-14-2007, 05:42 AM

One reason the bottoming out has been reduced is that, with the suspension distance reduced, there is no place left in which to bottom out.

A fellow nearby had his BMW1150 reduced two inches (55±mm) much to his delight at traffic lights and while backing up. Alas, he no longer can use his center stand and everything drags much earlier and much more fiercely. As most 919'rs do not equip their steads with centerstands this is probably not an issue (too, bad, because the center stand makes maintenance so much easier).

Clinton (awkward at best)

post #4 of 5 Old 06-14-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
Hi,

I'm a few inches taller at 5'6"/165cm, but my legs are quite short (I make up for this by being pretty wide).

Whereas I was nearly able to get away with the bike in standard trim I found it hard to reverse-park and hence bit the bullet and had the suspension modded to lower the bike by approx 20mm.

The suspension guy pulled apart the front forks and did something to remove the top 20mm of travel. While he was in there he also revalved the shocks. He did the same to the rear, dropped it by 20mm and revalved the rear shock. The net result isn't that noticeable, especially after I had the sidestand shortened by the same amount, and now the bike is at a point where I can get the balls of each foot on the ground at once. Much better.

As an added benefit the handling is much improved over the standard valving, no pogo-ing, no dive under hard braking and no squat under acceleration.

I have a female friend that just had to have a 2006 ZX-6R. Alas she's just on 5' tall (and all curves ) and she had to have her new 6R lowered by 50-odd mm by the same method. Now she has the bike of her dreams, but she has to watch out for potholes and speed bumps otherwise the bike will bottom-out. It is noticably lower...actually it looks a bit odd .

I haven't looked at the seat, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of meat in there to play with and my aging bottom needs all the padding it can get...

...the suspension work is not that cheap though .
Great Ratmick thanks for the details!

post #5 of 5 Old 06-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
Hi,

I'mThe suspension guy pulled apart the front forks and did something to remove the top 20mm of travel. While he was in there he also revalved the shocks. He did the same to the rear, dropped it by 20mm and revalved the rear shock. The net result isn't that noticeable, especially after I had the sidestand shortened by the same amount, and now the bike is at a point where I can get the balls of each foot on the ground at once. Much better.

This is of interest to me. What exactly did he do to the shock.
I know there is a shraider valve under the reservoir cover.
I didn't think they built it to come apart.
Is that shock able to be taken apart & rebuilt? Is it holding nitrogen OK?
Get some particulars & let us know.
This could be a good thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode