Scratches on 2002 919 (flat black) & bike pulling to left side & random sell/buying - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 07-03-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Scratches on 2002 919 (flat black) & bike pulling to left side & random sell/buying

1st Problem:

Just got back from a long trip on Monday (1500 miles total). Getting back, I've noticed a lot of small, new scratches on the tank. Some, probably form my jacket zipper, others maybe from freeway debris, etc.

I honestly don't care too much about it cosmetically, but I'd like to know the cheapest/easiest way to take care of them to prevent rusting.

I'm assuming a Colorrite touch up pen?

I do have a can of flat black Rustoleum spray paint (or Rustoleum equivalent), but I'd need a way to apply it to small areas, so that spray paint probably won't cut it.

2nd Problem:

I've been living with that one for a while, but I'm to the point I'd like to do something about it if I can. The bike pulls slightly to the left if I take my hands off the bars, or use a very light grip on them.

I think it start after I had some work done from a local respected guy. Not saying it's his fault, and he generally knows his shit, does tracks days, has done a lot of work for a lot of people around here, but mistakes/oversights do happen.

He did the following:
Forks swap to f4i forks and new internals with .95kg racetech springs
Rear shock replacement
New tires & balance

I honestly can't say 100% if it was pulling a bit to the left before all that was done, but I don't *think* it was.

Most people have said to check the alignment of the rear wheel. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but from what I've seen, the general method is to get the rear wheel on a stand, wrap a string around the back wheel, tie it to a fixed point up front and measure the distance between the string and each side of the front tire and make sure it's even. If it's not, what then? And if it is, also what then?

3rd "Problem"

I'm thinking of selling my 919 to fund an FJR1300 for next season, but at the same time, I love my 919. Does everything fairly well, but after ~150-200+ miles in a day can start getting a little cramped. On my most recent trip, we went 500 miles in one day, and I was very jealous of my brother in law's FJR1300... However, trips like that are NOT the norm for my 919. I usually use it for commuting, and 50-100 mile joy rides. The most I've ridden in 1 day before my last trip was ~250.

My options would be:
1) Sell the 919 to fund an FJR1300 for longer trips and get an SV650S for track as something light/small for around town/commuting

2) Keep the 919 for a while/indefinitely and get an FJR 2-3+ years down the line and have both

3) Sell the 919 and stick with an FJR1300 as my only bike for a while

Any thoughts? I have put a decent bit of $$$ into the 919, so if I couldn't really get at least 50% of that back in selling, I think I'd just hold onto it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Left of Centre

The string method I use doesn't involve string and measuring, it involves looking along the string as if it were a straight edge.

Loop a piece of string from the front wheel to the back on each side of the bike. Stretch string tight from the front of the front wheel to the back of the back wheel, passing below both axles.

Centre the front wheel to the straight ahead position as accurately as possible.

There will be deflection as the string passes the front edge of the rear tyre - check to see that the angle of deflection is comparable on each side of the bike. Adjust via chain tensioners on the rear axle till it's as close as you want it.

Measure if you want, but your eye will tell you when you are close to correct - it will certainly show up big variances, which is what is seems you are looking for at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: gif string.gif (3.5 KB, 49 views)

post #3 of 11 Old 07-03-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Cool, that illustration helps. I may give that a try sometime this weekend.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-04-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
The string method I use doesn't involve string and measuring, it involves looking along the string as if it were a straight edge.

Loop a piece of string from the front wheel to the back on each side of the bike. Stretch string tight from the front of the front wheel to the back of the back wheel, passing below both axles.

Centre the front wheel to the straight ahead position as accurately as possible.

There will be deflection as the string passes the front edge of the rear tyre - check to see that the angle of deflection is comparable on each side of the bike. Adjust via chain tensioners on the rear axle till it's as close as you want it.

Measure if you want, but your eye will tell you when you are close to correct - it will certainly show up big variances, which is what is seems you are looking for at the moment.
I tried the above today, it doesn't look like it's anything notable. The strings are perfect straight from the rear to the front of the back tire. The rear of the front tire there may be a slight difference, but that could possibly be within a margin of error for other factors (ground slope, front not 100% perfectly straight, etc).

post #5 of 11 Old 07-06-2015, 06:01 AM
Milites Gregarius

have you thought about mentioning to your mechanic that the bike seems to be pulling to the left?
seems to me since he did all the work, and does track days he could check it quickly.

Currently in the garage:
True TDD-1 Kegerator Loaded with Stella Artois (Second Half Barrel)
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2004 Honda 919 (Sold)
2005 Honda 919
2008 KTM SuperDuke 990
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 (Sold)
2011 Ducati Multistrada S Touring... Ohlins Mechatronic!
post #6 of 11 Old 07-06-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by urdrvideo View Post
have you thought about mentioning to your mechanic that the bike seems to be pulling to the left?
seems to me since he did all the work, and does track days he could check it quickly.
I have, but it's been over a couple years ago since he did that work. Initially I thought maybe it was the new tires since it turned in much quicker/more easily. Then I sort of just got used to it/lived with it.

I'll probably send him a note and see if he could look at it sometime, but I probably won't have time for another month or so to sync up with him.

post #7 of 11 Old 07-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Tirone

Getting a new bike?

The rule is once you own a 919 you have to keep it.

If you want another bike you'll need to save up for it

Be careful what paint you use on the tank. Most paints will not hold up to gas spills without poly coating. Touch it up with a matching paint pen and be careful with gas around it. Maybe a tank protector would cover the scratches and let your zipper hit the tank without scratching it.

2007 CB900F 919
2009 GS500F
2004 Honda Trike
2000 Honda Sabre 1100
1998 Kawasaki Vulcan
1975 Norton 850 Commando
1967 Triumph Bonneville
1987 CBR600 Hurricane RR Conversion
1990 CBR600 Hurricane White Gray
1988 CBR600 Hurricane Red Black
post #8 of 11 Old 07-07-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisgb View Post
Getting a new bike?

The rule is once you own a 919 you have to keep it.

If you want another bike you'll need to save up for it

Be careful what paint you use on the tank. Most paints will not hold up to gas spills without poly coating. Touch it up with a matching paint pen and be careful with gas around it. Maybe a tank protector would cover the scratches and let your zipper hit the tank without scratching it.
I spose it would make the most sense to keep it. I'd probably get a colorrite pen with the matching OEM paint.

I've thought about one of the Bagster tank covers, but I've heard mixed things about them, such as dust/particles can get under it, then it will rub them into the tank.

Also, I'd assume a normal magnetic tank bag wouldn't work with it anymore which would suck, I use my tank bag alot (and the scratches aren't from it, located elsewhere).

It also doesn't seem I can find the 919 bagster covers for sale anymore, so it seems something like this is all that's available, but I do have scratches in locations other than what it covers:
Targa Half-Tank Cover for CB919 02-07 - SoloMotoParts.com

post #9 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 12:52 PM
The 35.5 MPG 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Biker6 View Post
I spose it would make the most sense to keep it. I'd probably get a colorrite pen with the matching OEM paint.

I've thought about one of the Bagster tank covers, but I've heard mixed things about them, such as dust/particles can get under it, then it will rub them into the tank.

Also, I'd assume a normal magnetic tank bag wouldn't work with it anymore which would suck, I use my tank bag alot (and the scratches aren't from it, located elsewhere).

It also doesn't seem I can find the 919 bagster covers for sale anymore, so it seems something like this is all that's available, but I do have scratches in locations other than what it covers:
Targa Half-Tank Cover for CB919 02-07 - SoloMotoParts.com
The other solution I have been looking at and meaning to get around to doing since I bought the bike a year ago is a see through film by 3M.

Motorcycle Paint Protection Film - webBikeWorld

post #10 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The End View Post
The other solution I have been looking at and meaning to get around to doing since I bought the bike a year ago is a see through film by 3M.

Motorcycle Paint Protection Film - webBikeWorld
I have had that stuff on the sides of my tank where your knees go since the bike was brand new. Almost 80K miles later, you cant even hardly tell it's there. Good stuff!

post #11 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 05:09 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I have had that stuff on the sides of my tank where your knees go since the bike was brand new. Almost 80K miles later, you cant even hardly tell it's there. Good stuff!
+1, not that many miles though...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode