Scottish CB900 Hornet started modifing - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Count

Scottish CB900 Hornet started modifing

Hi All
I have fitted the SMOG removers bought off E-Bay USA they look good and were easy to fit.Did the Air filter mod by removing vacuum pipe and blanking it off, Fitted K&N air filter,Stainless Radiator cover,Fender Extenda.
The exhaust Y piece and twin OEM silencers have been taken off (they were falling apart with rust) and have ordered a Two Brothers single link pipe.and will be fitting one of four end cans from our garage.
I fitted a stainless rear brake hose, found upstairs in the garage, but will have to buy the front hoses and will be fitting a GSXR1000 Radial Master Cylinder to suit.
And will also be fitting a PC111 off E-Bay plus a HID headlamp that is lying about, will also be fitting LED indicators taken off one of my other bikes.
The Mute Black US bike looks good but might paint it GSX1400 Blue it's Tahitian Blue now but that looks complicated to paint (three stage pearl)
Is there anything to be done about the gap left when the L/H silencer is removed ? I was wondering if a cb600 Hornet tail fairing will fit ?
Anyway I will sign off now and will put some photos on soon
Cheers Ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Nice list of mods.

Hang around here a while and we'll show you how to spend you paycheck...and then some...just on the 919.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Hi Ratcatcher,
Just a heads-up on the Two Brothers single side pipe. TB now uses the V.A.L.E. system on the single side 919 systems. If you were counting on connecting the link pipe and the can together with springs you might be out of luck as TB no longer makes that style of link pipe. If you happen to have a source for the old style link pipe (with the welded on spring loops), please let us know.

Professional
post #4 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Princeps Prior

..... the stock Honda 919 front brake master cylinder is a 14mm cylinder.

Do your research on which GSXR Radial you get. They have 19mm Radials on the older bikes, and a 17mm radial on the newer ones. Though not tested by anyone here....... a closer match would be the 16mm BREMBO radial m/c off the Yamaha R1/R6's.

Either way, do the math and make sure your calipers match the M/C. Simply swapping out the M/C with the stock 919 calipers isn't a good idea.

I'm running a '07 GSXR750 19mm Radial Master Cylinder.....with a set of SP1 RC-51 34mm/32mm calipers.

post #5 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
Hi Ratcatcher,
Just a heads-up on the Two Brothers single side pipe. TB now uses the V.A.L.E. system on the single side 919 systems. If you were counting on connecting the link pipe and the can together with springs you might be out of luck as TB no longer makes that style of link pipe. If you happen to have a source for the old style link pipe (with the welded on spring loops), please let us know.

I ordered my Two Brothers single sided kit from Star Cycle. It did have the VALE hardware. (VALE is simply a bracket the screws into 4 holes on the exhaust pipe so TB can use the same pipe with multiple bikes) Either way, the VALE on my kit still used springs, and there were spring holders on my mid-pipe. I then preceded to buy a can of my own and did what you speak of.

I've heard others say that the newer mid-pipes don't come with the spring hooks......so --- who knows? The kit that I just ordered was only ordered 6 months ago.....though it probably was older stock....

Black bracket on the end of the pipe is the VALE.....

Heres the kit with my pipe mounted using the TB hardware & midpipe.....

post #6 of 21 Old 12-15-2010, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Count

Hi
Thanks for your advice,will check link pipe when it arrives but I will be using a slip on can that I might have to make a sleeve for.And your set-up with the Arrow can is what I am aiming for.
And it's a shame because I sold a Brembo off a Duke not long ago it was a 16mm,but will check my GSX one and see what size it is!
Cheers Ken

post #7 of 21 Old 12-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Tirone

What does the naked side of a single side exhaust look like?

post #8 of 21 Old 12-15-2010, 02:12 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by det5lonewolf View Post
What does the naked side of a single side exhaust look like?
Empty

post #9 of 21 Old 12-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Princeps Prior

It looks like a proper sportbike..... I porsonally like the 'GAP'.....

post #10 of 21 Old 12-15-2010, 04:54 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
It looks like a proper sportbike..... I porsonally like the 'GAP'.....

Meanwhile, I love the appearance symmetry of the high mount twin outlet BUT I hate the stink factor that is related to where my TRSs are dumping their hot gases - right into that real nice low pressure zone behind the passenger that keeps those stinky gases there.

Each to his own.

Besides, the ultimate for me is still a pipe per cylinder ala CB750s and Z1s of old.

post #11 of 21 Old 12-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Princeps Prior

Ya know......the arrow I have is a little longer, and angled down....and seems to be pretty darn close to keeping the air/fuel in check.

Seriously.... there is very little stink with this setup.

post #12 of 21 Old 12-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Pilus Posterior

I think the single sided set up would benefit from a tail-tidy to eliminate the curved part of the stock fender looking like something is missing.

Otherwise it is clean.

post #13 of 21 Old 12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Ya know......the arrow I have is a little longer, and angled down....and seems to be pretty darn close to keeping the air/fuel in check.

Seriously.... there is very little stink with this setup.
I have no stink and runs perfect w/o a PCIII.

post #14 of 21 Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Princeps Prior

I wasn't going to say it.

......I also sold the PCIII because my bike runs so good with the stock map and this single sided setup.......no, it's not perfect.....but damn close.

Looks very nice btw......

So.....you found some mid pipes with the spring hook? That was the deal.....right? There are people out there saying the newer mid pipe won't work?????

post #15 of 21 Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
I wasn't going to say it.

......I also sold the PCIII because my bike runs so good with the stock map and this single sided setup.......no, it's not perfect.....but damn close.

Looks very nice btw......

So.....you found some mid pipes with the spring hook? That was the deal.....right? There are people out there saying the newer mid pipe won't work?????
The spring hooks are NOT the problem. The new pipe has them.

The problem is the 2 Bros pipe is 48mm (1.8897 in). Most aftermarket cans have 2.25 inlets or 2.00 inlets.

The new 2 Bros pipe DOES NOT fit either one!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to have a bushing machined for it to work. The pipe will NOT expand without spliting.

post #16 of 21 Old 12-16-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Count

Hi
Thanks for the info about the pipe dia, but I was expecting to have to make a sleeve and will put a shield over the joint to tidy it up.it should look OK.
The single pipe only cost £57 delivered from the UK importer (Juicy pipes) and the lady on the phone certainly sounded juicy
Iagree with the comment that it will need a tail-tidy and I am looking at this on on E-Bay TAIL TIDY x-rage HONDA Hornet CB 900 SC 48 2002 - 2006 on eBay (end time 15-Jan-11 11:09:26 GMT) UK E-Bay No 140491096730

Cheers Ken

post #17 of 21 Old 12-16-2010, 03:41 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Well, turns out I was full of crap about the new style mid-pipe not using springs to connect it to the canister(actually, my friend Dave who works at TB was full of crap!). It turns out that the TB single sided exhaust for the 919 isn't a true V.A.L.E. system like on their other exhaust systems because they didn't want to re-design the mid-pipe. It's basically just some hardware to make it look like the V.A.L.E. system, but still uses springs to connect everything. Sorry for the mis-information in my earlier post.

Professional
post #18 of 21 Old 12-22-2010, 01:58 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratcatcher View Post
Hi
Thanks for the info about the pipe dia, but I was expecting to have to make a sleeve and will put a shield over the joint to tidy it up.it should look OK.
The single pipe only cost £57 delivered from the UK importer (Juicy pipes) and the lady on the phone certainly sounded juicy
Iagree with the comment that it will need a tail-tidy and I am looking at this on on E-Bay TAIL TIDY x-rage HONDA Hornet CB 900 SC 48 2002 - 2006 on eBay (end time 15-Jan-11 11:09:26 GMT) UK E-Bay No 140491096730

Cheers Ken
One of my cousins lives in Edinburgh.
I checked out The Weather Network today to see how things looked there.
I don't think you out riding today !

post #19 of 21 Old 12-23-2010, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Count

Hi
Weather is crap for Edinburgh,Snow on top of ice,gritters are not doing their job,so I have not used the bikes for over two weeks it's depessing.I do not drive a car so my woman get up at 6.30 to take me into work then I walk 5 miles home (my problem 'cause I do not do buses).And because of the weather I am not getting the parts I ordered to do up the Hornet.Anyway it will get better they say by Feb.
All the BEST for Christmas & New Year
Ken

post #20 of 21 Old 02-05-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Count

Two Brothers pipe

Hi
Got my Two Bros pipe fitted.But it seems to stick out from the side of the bike and is very near the shock spring is this right?.I have attached photos of two different oval cans.Will try pipe with a round can tomorrow.But I am not to happy with the way it looks.
Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030289.jpg (168.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P1030290.jpg (144.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P1030293.jpg (161.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1030295.jpg (177.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg P1030291.jpg (197.5 KB, 7 views)

post #21 of 21 Old 02-05-2011, 02:38 PM
McTavish

That appears to be a very efficient looking shock warmer setup.
I'd be wrapping that with some heat wrap, for sure.
The overall routing looks a bit off, out far in some planes and close in others.
Make sure the silencer packing is in good nick (knick?) otherwise any passenger could get a really nasty burn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode