Satos vs 900RR/scorpion can - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 56 Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Satos vs 900RR/scorpion can

My next mod will be the exhaust/power commander. I am down to the Sato cans or the MarylandMike special (900rr/scorpion can). Need to start saving now to do this over the summer.

From what I've read, the nice thing about the Satos is the control. This appeals to me because I'm JoeMethodicalGuy. I'm big into control and efficiency; especially given that I'm not Mr JumpOnItGripAndRipIt dude.

But, I've also read the 900rr setup will shed as much as 20 lbs. That's a hard number to turn away from. Not to mention the overall look of the low can on the side (Note to MarylandMike: Still one of my alltime favorite threads).

I guess my question is how big a factor is the control of the Satos? I very much enjoy the sport riding aspect of the 9er, if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I love my CF satos, but I prefer the looks of a high mount exhaust. I would rather under tail, but love mine. I personally do not like the looks of the 900rr or any other low mount. However I do like the numbers as far as weight and power.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #3 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 02:52 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
I'm big into control and efficiency; especially given that I'm not Mr JumpOnItGripAndRipIt dude.
me either....

post #4 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
me either....
Man, are you full of it.

post #5 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 04:41 AM
Milites Gregarius

Give me a week and I'll give you my opinion of both. I had the 900rr header with D&D can. I decided to switch back to the undertail, still waiting on the Satos to get here. Baysideperformace.com has the titanium Satos for $720. But the offset is that its been over three weeks since I ordered them and they should be here Monday.

I had a buddy with some spare time, so I got help putting the Y pipe back in and have been riding it for about a week. The baffelectomized stock cans suck terribly compared to the lowside exhaust and PCIII. I'm really hoping the Satos give it that kick in the pants in needs right now.

post #6 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Thanks for the kind words. I think either option would be great. I also love the look and sound of the Satos. The main reason I did the low exhaust was the stink factor, but the Satos/PCIII will most likely help with that too.

There are a couple of people doing the 900RR Scorpion type mod in the near future, so you may get some more feedback that could help you in your decision by the time you're ready.

Good luck....decisions, decisions

post #7 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I think either option would be great. I also love the look and sound of the Satos. The main reason I did the low exhaust was the stink factor, but the Satos/PCIII will most likely help with that too.

There are a couple of people doing the 900RR Scorpion type mod in the near future, so you may get some more feedback that could help you in your decision by the time you're ready.

Good luck....decisions, decisions
One question: I noticed you used the centerstand mount. I actually have a center stand. I couldn't really tell from your pictures if the exhaust and centerstand can coexist. It looks like the exhaust might be in the way of the stand's travel. Do you know, or anybody out there, if they can coexist?

post #8 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 05:02 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
Give me a week and I'll give you my opinion of both. I had the 900rr header with D&D can. I decided to switch back to the undertail, still waiting on the Satos to get here. Baysideperformace.com has the titanium Satos for $720. But the offset is that its been over three weeks since I ordered them and they should be here Monday.

I had a buddy with some spare time, so I got help putting the Y pipe back in and have been riding it for about a week. The baffelectomized stock cans suck terribly compared to the lowside exhaust and PCIII. I'm really hoping the Satos give it that kick in the pants in needs right now.
hey i just ordered a sato can from bayside 3 weeks ago too should be here on monday as well. i will never be ordering from them again. to the 6-10 days means nothing. it took them 12 days just to ship it and that is after i emailed them and started to ride their @$$e$ i am not impressed with them at all

post #9 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 05:09 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
hey i just ordered a sato can from bayside 3 weeks ago too should be here on monday as well. i will never be ordering from them again. to the 6-10 days means nothing. it took them 12 days just to ship it and that is after i emailed them and started to ride their @$$e$ i am not impressed with them at all
That is why I'm up front on my parts and how long it's going to take. You piss someone off and they will never buy from you again.

Just return it and get mine!

post #10 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 05:16 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 

i would how ever this was slightly cheaper than yours and i better be here by monday. riding season will be starting soon and want this done before then. otherwise i would get yours.

post #11 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 05:31 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
One question: I noticed you used the centerstand mount. I actually have a center stand. I couldn't really tell from your pictures if the exhaust and centerstand can coexist. It looks like the exhaust might be in the way of the stand's travel. Do you know, or anybody out there, if they can coexist?
I walked out and looked at my bike, and my guess is that they couldn't coexist. It looks like when you put it up it would hit the pipe. I use a rear stand and it doesn't interfere with that.

post #12 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I walked out and looked at my bike, and my guess is that they couldn't coexist. It looks like when you put it up it would hit the pipe. I use a rear stand and it doesn't interfere with that.
Dang it.

post #13 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Milites Gregarius

The 900 header mount bracket actually matches where the center stand mount is. Thats how i mounted mine anyway. Even if you could rig something to go through the header mount and center stand mount, I dont think you have enough room down there for the center stand because of how the 900 header turns out.

post #14 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
Did they tell you it was taking so long to ship because they all left for the Daytona Race? I like saving money, but I wish they had been upfront on the shipping delay.

post #15 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Optio

I don't care for the look of the low side exhaust on the 919 at all, but to each their own.

Carbon/Titanium exhaust will shave 10 or so pounds of the stock exhaust. Personally I love my carbon Sato's. Don't run a PC3 and I can't say I ever really notice the exhaust stink on mine.

post #16 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg74 View Post
I don't care for the look of the low side exhaust on the 919 at all, but to each their own.

Carbon/Titanium exhaust will shave 10 or so pounds of the stock exhaust. Personally I love my carbon Sato's. Don't run a PC3 and I can't say I ever really notice the exhaust stink on mine.
I think the 900RR setup I did I figured shaved about 13-14 lbs off stock, so if the carbon/ titanium shaves 10 lbs, probably not a big difference there. I think it will really come down to what you like.

post #17 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
I think the 900RR setup I did I figured shaved about 13-14 lbs off stock, so if the carbon/ titanium shaves 10 lbs, probably not a big difference there. I think it will really come down to what you like.
You're absolutely right Mike - Some take the high road, others take the low road.

post #18 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
Did they tell you it was taking so long to ship because they all left for the Daytona Race? I like saving money, but I wish they had been upfront on the shipping delay.
they told me that it was all right on schedule, i told them to kiss my @$$ and not to expect my money ever again.

post #19 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 01:09 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

on a other note, i ordered my Amsoil© on tuesday, got it this morning, THATS fast!

post #20 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

talking bout fast ratdog sent me my gas tank on saturday, from NJ went to TN back to VT and i picked it up monday morning

post #21 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 01:25 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Yeah, Ratdog is pretty cool.

Satos and centerstand for me.

post #22 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Centurion

Sato carbons here. Would not have it ay other way--cept maybe some white ti Mori's

The carbons save 10 lbs.

post #23 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Rider reborn

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

The craftwork on the satos is very good- on par with Termi's.. the best headers I've seen yet come out of Dale walkers place..

Lex Talionis
post #24 of 56 Old 03-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Naked bikes = Perma-grin

I just put a set of Sato TI on my bike. They look, fit, sound awesome. Here in MN there is snow, ice, and salt, so I can't tell you how the bike runs yet. I got my set through Chicago Cycle off Ebay for $645 including shipping. They were getting rid of dusty parts off there shelves that weren't moving, so I guess I got lucky. From what I've seen these are first gen.

post #25 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Milites Gregarius

I have the 900rr setup on my bike and love it. I'll give you some of my thoughts on the differences.

I think the looks are a matter of personal preference. I like both setups.

The Sato cans save some weight, the 900rr setup saves more.

The Sato cans were designed for the 919. You can't buy a can for the 900rr setup that was designed for the 919. Some companies just copy a design from another bike and say it is "designed for the 919", Sato is not one of those companies.

I'm sure the can makes a difference but a bigger factor in control is probably the PCIII.

The two biggest reasons I went with the 900rr setup were to eliminate the stink and because it was economical. You will have a much easier time finding good deals on 900rr stuff but you will have used parts (at least the header).

The Sato's would be easier to install.

You can't go wrong with either setup. Lots of people here have both and you will rarely hear anybody that has either setup complain.

post #26 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

hey just got my muffler in today, this is what i am using. just have to wait for my headers now. will be droped of tomorrow here is the teaser shot

post #27 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

ok i cant stand it, and im not that mean, here is the real thing..

post #28 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

and just incase you couldnt read the tag before

post #29 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

post #30 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

How much dust was on that can? It is a ancient Gen. 1

post #31 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

its a GP style. really really short

post #32 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

All Gen. II cans, no matter what the application have the embossed Sato bands at both ends.

post #33 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Naked bikes = Perma-grin

yep, mine are definitely Gen 1. No bands.

Love the black rear grab bar!! As soon as it warms enough to dry paint nicely I'm going to paint mine.

post #34 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Centurion

3D--This a 900RR single low Sato can correct?

post #35 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

it is a "universal" can that i am hoping will fit right onto the 900rr header. wont know for sure until tuesday. this weekend at the latest.

post #36 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

if anybody has a spare 900rr header, i'm in the market...pm me!

all these satos everywere... can you say sha-wing!

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #37 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Milites Gregarius

I got my Satos, for the stock header, today. Here's a question for anyone that knows. I'm pretty sure the Satos are gen 2. They have the "Sato Racing" bands at either end. But they dont have the side plates, and don't have the holes in the sides for the plates. Is that normal? I've only seen one pic on here of Satos without the side plates.

post #38 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

no bands on these, and this picture comes right from satoracing.com

post #39 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

That's a great looking can 3D. Hope everything fits up well for ya.

post #40 of 56 Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Milites Gregarius

I got the Satos installed. Having another set of hands would have really help line them up. But otherwise, the install was straight forward. The sound at idle is great, but untill the rain stops, the bike is parked in the garage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode