Satos - How Can You Tell New vs Old? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 10-10-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
CG

Satos - How Can You Tell New vs Old?

Hey all. I put my eBay Satos on today. They are LOUD! - but sound great!

I'm not sure but they might be too loud. I've read that the earlier Satos were louder and the later ones not so loud. How can I tell the difference?

I thought mine were the later ones based on a side by side pic showing the longer outlets on the later ones. But now I'm wondering if there was maybe a version in between with the longer outlets but the larger silencer?

Anybody know how to ID the earlier silencer vs the later ones. Maybe LDH might know?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Milites Gregarius

Mine are Gen II and simply got louder with more miles. Repacked them and they quieted down as close to new as I can recall. Prior to repack they were becoming obnoxiously buzzy at speed.

post #3 of 12 Old 10-10-2009, 06:56 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

isn't the banding different? on the first generation, the banding had oblong mesh-looking sections between the rivets.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Milites Gregarius

Gen I has no banding - just rivets. Gen II originally had the bands you speak of (as did mine). I ordered new bands when I tore mine down and they shipped with the Sato logo stamped in.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-10-2009, 07:30 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktbox View Post
Gen I has no banding - just rivets. Gen II originally had the bands you speak of (as did mine). I ordered new bands when I tore mine down and they shipped with the Sato logo stamped in.
Thanks for the clarification

post #6 of 12 Old 10-11-2009, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktbox View Post
So did Sato send you some sort of rebuild kit? How/where did you get whatever you used to refresh your Satos?

post #7 of 12 Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
So did Sato send you some sort of rebuild kit? How/where did you get whatever you used to refresh your Satos?
I rebuilt the Sato cans I have. I ordered the bands and rivets from Dan Kyle Racing. For packing, I believe LordDuckHunter recommended getting Silent Sport packing. I decided no to re-pack the mufflers, but did fix some other problems before banding/riveting them back together.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Gen II have slightly longer outlet pipes, supposed to help reduce the stink, also banding at both ends. I've had mine on 2+ years and they've definitely gotten louder with time, right now they're at an aggressive but still tolerable level, might need repacking in another summer or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Satos.jpg (107.7 KB, 21 views)

post #9 of 12 Old 10-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
If you do tear them down to repack, inspect the cores very closely. Mine were rusted out at the low points of the cans from condensation and would have simply disintegrated from the continued material degradation, vibration, and time. I wasn't particularly happy with what I found and the only way I discovered it was when I completely removed the stock packing from the core. You can get rivets and new bands from Kyle.

There's a thread somewhere in here when I started asking about spare cores which are not available. A local exhaust shop used their die to expand some reducers and form them to accept the dimensions of the internals and then welded them back together with the proper end to end length. Cost was very, very little when your only other option was to scrap the cans and buy new.

I used the Silent Sport material at Dan Kyle suggestion and followed all the instructions to measure and calculate volume / weight. Pack it in there nice and tight and wear a mask when you do it. Unfortunately, you just won't know if you have any crotch rot in there until you do totally tear them down. If you do have CF cans wear heavy gloves when you start working on the insides or you'll get nice long CF slivers run straight through your fingers.

Once I got them all back together they look damn near as good as they did when I got them.

post #10 of 12 Old 10-11-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
CG

Thanks for the info. I may try to rebuild mine this winter. How much difference in the sound did you notice after rebuilding them?

I'm really surorised you found rust int here. I really thought the internals were all stainless and more or less immune to rust. Guess Not!

post #11 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 08:48 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I may try to rebuild mine this winter. How much difference in the sound did you notice after rebuilding them?

I'm really surorised you found rust int here. I really thought the internals were all stainless and more or less immune to rust. Guess Not!
Mine are rotted inside as well. The previous owner (touring919) put something like 65,000 miles on them. That's why I decided not to repack them yet. I might tear them completely apart this winter to re-work the internals and repack

post #12 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Milites Gregarius

My satos got shortened

But I got new gen2 bands and they got the packing moved around and I love them

I had a welder make mid gussets for the rearset mounts out of spare bands !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 072.jpg (24.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 066.jpg (18.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 071.jpg (21.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 070.jpg (15.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 061.jpg (17.0 KB, 11 views)

'03 RC
CRA
#667 N

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode