Saddle bags for my 919? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
yensyensen

Saddle bags for my 919?

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the site and also a new 919 owner. I'm trying to figure out some good options for carrying some cargo and haven't found much online. I've seen some of the Givi hard case but they don't really do it for me. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Tesserarius

I own the cortech saddle and tail bag, they are very nice and easy to hook up and take off.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #3 of 19 Old 07-30-2010, 06:51 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I have Nelson Riggs soft luggage that I bought from newenough.com they work very well and I got em pretty cheap!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #4 of 19 Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
yensyensen

Sml2727, do the cortech bags rest against the exhaust? Do you have a picture of your bike with the bags on?

post #5 of 19 Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 PM
919>food>beer

yeah they do... I've had mine for about 2.5-3 years now, the right side bag is having issues with the inside liner burning off... the outside is fine and holding strong though, I would buy them again as well

post #6 of 19 Old 07-30-2010, 07:27 PM
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml2727 View Post
I own the cortech saddle and tail bag, they are very nice and easy to hook up and take off.
Agree whole heartedly with The Shadow: +1 on both the Nelson Riggs AND New Enough -- they come with a shield/protector that rests against the stock muffler guard (will post pics later if you're interested...) They've held up well after several months of use, with no signs of heat damage from the mufflers. Excellent customer service from New Enough--they'll take good care of ya.

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig.

--Robert A. Heinlein

GL1500CD Valkyrie
post #7 of 19 Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
yeah they do... I've had mine for about 2.5-3 years now, the right side bag is having issues with the inside liner burning off... the outside is fine and holding strong though, I would buy them again as well
Did you go with the larger Tribags or the smaller Sports?
If you were to buy again, would you stay with the same size or change?
Any comments re use of the bags when riding two up?

post #8 of 19 Old 07-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Gets censored

I had some GIVI hard bags that were real nice, great quality and water resistant. the rack sucked though had to cut my tail section a little and the rack bolted to the bottom of the rear foot pegs. I'd avoid that setup next time around.

post #9 of 19 Old 07-31-2010, 04:14 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Welcome yen. I also did a lot of looking around for luggage options. If I were going with soft saddlebags I would get the Nelson Riggs. The Givi saddlebags are nice, but man they look huge on the bike for everyday use.

I ended up getting a Bags Connection Tailbag. It was pricey ($175) but it's really well made and waterproof.

I still wanted some saddlebags, so I made my own small hard case setup, but it won't work with stock exhaust.

A givi topcase may be a good option too. Good luck with your search.

post #10 of 19 Old 07-31-2010, 06:01 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I have Givi E35 top and E41 side cases and love them. They're completely waterproof best I can tell, I've washed them with a pressure washer and tried to get them to leak, the insides stayed dry.

post #11 of 19 Old 07-31-2010, 09:32 AM
919>food>beer

cortech sports the size is great for me, I've used them for 4-5 day trips. if I need more luggage space I can add on the tail bag that connects right to them. and I have never rode 2 up with them, I imagine you could, just not sure how comfortable it'd be or if they'd rub your ladies legs

post #12 of 19 Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 PM
just ride it...

I'll suggest the cortech sport bags as well, the nelson rigg bags are cheaper, but they are also pretty much crap... they tear up to easy... I'd suggest the extra money for the cortech!

post #13 of 19 Old 07-31-2010, 04:29 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb919er View Post
I'll suggest the cortech sport bags as well, the nelson rigg bags are cheaper, but they are also pretty much crap... they tear up to easy... I'd suggest the extra money for the cortech!
How do you mean they tear too easy? I've had mine for over a year and they have seen both coasts now, while being jammed so full that the zippers would barely close. mine are still in great shape and seem like they will be good to go for at least two more years...but as always, ymmv.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #14 of 19 Old 07-31-2010, 11:27 PM
'evening Bruce

Regarding "soft" saddlebags, does anyone have any issues of damage through exhaust heat? I use a bagster tankag and ventura rack lugging stuff around, and have always wanted to go the saddlebag option for light touring but have been hesitant in splashing the cash thinking it'll "melt". Often after a long ride I make a note of feeling the pipes and they don't feel any "hotter" than what I can handle.

Am I being over cautious? As what I've read it doesn't seem to be a problem.

post #15 of 19 Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 PM
919>food>beer

with my cortech bags I have the nylon burning off on the inside on only the right side, it is non load bearing and is the third layer, but it is gone. I've used them for several years now and have done many many miles with them and they may have survived speeds in excess of 125mph with no complaint other that that small issue.

post #16 of 19 Old 08-01-2010, 04:56 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I have some Dowco Rally Pack Sport soft bags that I might be willing to part with. They have been sitting in my garage and attic for about a year and a half. They have heat shields and built-in rain covers.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Imaginifer

I have had Nelson Rigg saddle bags for two years now and they are as good as new. Very nice bags.

Nelson Rigg CL-950 Deluxe Saddlebags :: New Enough

I paid extra for the heat shields that are specifically made for the bags just to be on the safe side, and have had zero heat issues.

Nelson Rigg CL-HSP Sportbike Motorcycle Saddlebag Heat Shield Pads :: New Enough

I highly recommend Nelson Rigg and New Enough also.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
just ride it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
How do you mean they tear too easy? I've had mine for over a year and they have seen both coasts now, while being jammed so full that the zippers would barely close. mine are still in great shape and seem like they will be good to go for at least two more years...but as always, ymmv.

Under moderate use, not crammed full of junk or over loaded, the seams along the top of mine started to rip apart and the velcro that helps hold them closed gone about a month after getting them, had a buddy get a set because they were cheaper than cortech, his fell apart after about 3 weeks of use. When he called Nelson Rigg to see about getting them replaced under warrenty, they simply said, oh send them back, and we'll see if they qualify. Maybe they would, but still the damn things just fell apart to easy. I was hooking mine to the back, and one of the tie down anchor just pull off... I say they aren't worth having to take a crap in. This is just from my experience with them.

in the soft luggage game, cortech has it nailed down.

post #19 of 19 Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Tirone

Here is a pic of my '02 with the Nelson Rigg Silver Streak bags. I've done 800 miles in 100 degree weather with them, and never had an issue with them burning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6575_1100587080255_1394020730_30250016_726279_n.jpg (61.7 KB, 45 views)

2002 Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode