s3 questions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
gitty

s3 questions

I was thinking of trying to get more hp out of my triple over the winter. wanted to get racing pistons/rods/camshaft but don't know where to look for parts.

can anyone help?

already going to get a pcIII and +1/-1 sprockets.

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night.
light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

FZ1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnaked View Post
I was thinking of trying to get more hp out of my triple over the winter. wanted to get racing pistons/rods/camshaft but don't know where to look for parts.

can anyone help?

already going to get a pcIII and +1/-1 sprockets.
Put the exhaust on, put the PCIII on, have it dyno tuned, play with the sprockets, and leave the internals alone. Also, do the suspension, those have terrible rear suspension. If you want that much more power by a literbike, even one a couple years old (and keep the S3). Just my opinion!

If you have to mess with the "internals", just do a different head gasket prior to the dyno tune.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Gotta say that is sound advice.
Reliability goes down when you open the cases.

Simpson has no issues with power on his. The 60mph wheelies with no clutch are impressive. not sure how much more power is needed.

What are you trying to accomplish? A dyno queen? bragging rights?

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #4 of 7 Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

give it to me and buy a s1000rr

Spoiler:
post #5 of 7 Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Allow me to reply here as a Speed Triple Owner...

/engage soap box/

First of all, I have to establish this first:
Most people seem to sum up a bike's performance by saying "Hey man, it's a 140 hp bike". HP HP HP HP... It's such an incomplete way of measuring performance.
To me you really can't describe performance without torque and time trials also. Let's leave out handling and other characteristics... blah blah blah
The triple is specifically built for gobs of torque! More torque than the 1198 Duc twin until about 8k on the tach. Don't believe me, look it up. HP is a function of rotation speed/distance. Therefore you could have a 45 ft/lbs of torque engine and rev it to 16k and have a killer HP reading! Do you really want to race the piss out of your engine on the street all the time to make good power? How pratical is that power? You could also have a bike with great torque and HP but have slow time trial speeds. Perhaps its a 1000 pound bike then 160 hp will still be a slow bike. Some guys like to say "yeah I got 160 Hp bike, but how often are they ever hit the 13k to actually do it? Less than .5% percent of the total ride time or far far far less. Not to mention how small the window is in the power band to enjoy the 160 hp... review below.

Notice because the triple makes more torque than the rest, it makes significantly more horse power at most of the power band. And that's not just against these bike, a crap ton of "liter" bikes up to 8k. Do I think the Speed triple is faster than most liter bikes... hell no! It's purpose is not for racing but for fun. Its' one goofy wind sail that drags incredibly after 80.

/disengage soap box/

So, what do I recommend?
Get rid of weight and open exhaust up.

I did the 3 to 1 arrow exhaust. Lost 20-30 pounds quick and yield a healthier curve. Arrow come with ECU software that's pretty good. Although some guys don't like because it wasn't loud enough. Guess they need to sound faster? I've never seen a kit to upgrade hotter cam or bigger displacement. There was a fabled turbo floating around but have never seen it installed. There simply are not many performance kits for the bike.

post #6 of 7 Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Optio

I'm agreeing with all the previous comments, but also have been wondering whether our "detuned" Fireblade engine can be "retuned" to run as the original?

post #7 of 7 Old 10-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Why did you decide on a pwr cmndr and not a tuneboy.
I thought the latter gave you more features.
You might consider getting a hold of Devious to do a custom tune on dyno run's from the thespeedtriple forum.
Losing weight (carbon fiber) is free HP
Getting the most out to the suspension will get the power to the ground

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode