Rust on rotors/pads after last weeks rain ride. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Question Rust on rotors/pads after last weeks rain ride.

I have had my Wave rotors installed on my Honda 919 for over a year now and used them on 2 entry level track days. So far they work fine. Last week I went for a short ride and got caught in the rain up here in the Puget Sound / Seattle area. So I rode home and parked my bike in the garage. The next weekend I was rolling the bike out to go for another ride and the bike wouldn’t budge. I rocked it forward and back but still it felt like the brakes were locked on. Sure enough after squeezing the brakes a few times I was able to roll the bike. There was rust between the Galfer HH pads and wave rotors. While rotating the front wheel with the bike on stands it made a good ammount of scrapping noise once it went over the place the pads and rotors sat for the last week. I figured I would just ride the bike and test the brakes around town. So all went fine and my brakes work with no ill symptoms or loss of braking power but where the pads sat on the rotors for that 1 week there is now left over rust and specs. There looks to be small rust pits in the rotor. The marks are only where the pads sat on the rotors. I have seen this before but never as serious and the rust would always just be gone after a day's ride. This time after two rides I still have a good ammount of crud left over on my rotors. I have not taken the wheel off or pulled the pads but just by eye balling them I see rust marks on the visable outside areas of the pads. Can I just clean this rust up and how? Should I worry about this? Can I just simply clean the rotors? I take it certain solvents like WD40 would be a bad idea for cleaning. Or could I use WD40 and then just use brake cleaner afterwards? Does regular brake cleaner work good on rust?

PS I guess if I would have road the brakes before I entered the garage that could of heated up the pads to get rid of the moisture. Next time I will remember to heat the brakes up a little before I come to a stop. Any other tricks that would keep this from happening? Maybe just rotate the wheels once the bike is on it's stands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2611 (Custom).JPG (111.6 KB, 102 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Centurion

Aren't stock rotors stainless & aftermarket ones like this cast iron so rust is more a problem on aftermarket rotors?

post #3 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 PM

I would try brake cleaner and some scotch brite pads first.

post #4 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

WD-40 and scotch brite will work great on the rotor.. then clean with brake cleaner or thinner or alcohol. As long as those are just surface spots and not pits... you can't put metal back. DO NOT get WD-40 on the brake pads! So if you have to remove the calipers first, do!

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #5 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Copied from the Galfer website:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galfer
All Galfer Wave rotors are laser cut and made of a unique high carbon 420 stainless steel material that has been pre-heat treated and parallel double disc grounded to assure perfect flatness and the most efficient contact surface between pad and rotor.
Should these stainless steel rotors show signs of rust in the first place?

post #6 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Sort of on topic. My Rickman had a Lockheed Braking system w/magnesium calipers and cast iron rotors. Best brakes I ever had!

Those rotors would rust overnight if the humidity was high. If the bike was outside when it rained, afterwards those rotors looked like crap(big time rust) A few medium pulls on the lever was all that was needed to make the rotors new looking.

post #7 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 01:29 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

High school metal shop has been a long time ago, but since when does stainless have a high carbon content?

Have you sent your pic and an inquirey to the manufacturer? Wonder what they'd say?

I wouldn't bother polishing brake rotors. Kind of silly if you think about it. Just ride the thing. Let the pads shine things up.... much more fun.

post #8 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Copied from the Galfer website: Should these stainless steel rotors show signs of rust in the first place?
depends on the quality of the stainless steel. an easy seat of the paints test is to use a magnet... if the magnet has strong adhesion then it's considered low quality stainless (high steel content) and will rust easier.

post #9 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
A few medium pulls on the lever was all that was needed to make the rotors new looking.
Yup. Just ride it.
When I had a bunch of cars & bikes around at any given time, rotors would get surface rust while the machine waited its turn to be flogged.
There's all kinds of stainless. While talking to the custom exhaust guy, he spouted off the names & properties of each one too quick for me to retain (which ain't hard). 304, 409 (aircraft exhaust I think), 420, etc. They all have different corrosion resistances, welding techniques, & finishes.
Stainless hardware is weird too: try to cut a stainless bolt with a hacksaw, feels hard. Crank on it with a big ratchet & it'll twist in half. If you want corrosion resistance & tensile strength (did I say that right), buy Grade 8.

post #10 of 16 Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
Yup. Just ride it.
When I had a bunch of cars & bikes around at any given time, rotors would get surface rust while the machine waited its turn to be flogged.

Yeah that has worked great before with the past rust. This time was much more severe with the bike not rolling at all. That picture was taken after two short day rides.

post #11 of 16 Old 11-16-2007, 03:24 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
High school metal shop has been a long time ago, but since when does stainless have a high carbon content?

Have you sent your pic and an inquirey to the manufacturer? Wonder what they'd say?

I wouldn't bother polishing brake rotors. Kind of silly if you think about it. Just ride the thing. Let the pads shine things up.... much more fun.
There are many alloys of stainless steel -- 300 series, austenitic chromium-nickel alloys, are partially magnetic and soft and hard at the same due to the eutectic nickel content. Machines well as long as cutters, speeds, and feeds are just right -- otherwise tends to tear instead of cut. Very corrosion and heat resistant, but too "soft" for brake rotor use -- prone to galling.
400 series, ferritic and martensitic chromium alloys with varying carbon content, are tougher than 300, but much less corrosion resistant. Function well as rotors, but surface iron crystals are prone to etching if left exposed to moisture for an extended period. The discolored area is actually pits in the metal and will have to wear down or be ground down to get rid of them. The decrease in swept area in this region is so slight it is unlikely to cause a change in feel, but water will get entrained in the pits causing a slight pulsation on initial application in the rain. Other than this, all it really does is look bad.
By the way, I never use WD-40 or any other lubricant on any brake component -- it's difficult to get it all off, especially if there are pits in the surface. Just wash them as you would the rest of the bike and dry them with the blower side of a shop vacuum or a hair blow drier. When parking it after a wet ride, get the front wheel off the ground and blow dry the rotors, preferably after retracting the pads slightly. Remember to pump the brakes before going on your next ride!

Rob

post #12 of 16 Old 11-16-2007, 06:23 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

eno45 - Have you touched base with Galfer? The more I look at your pic, it does not look like typical surface rust. The rotor looks somewhat pitted caused by dissimilar metals(Galvanic corrosion). Do yourself a favor, call Galfer; ask for Sandro Milesi.

post #13 of 16 Old 11-18-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yeah those are pits in the rotor. I just lightly used some plain steel wool to get the rest of the rust off and the black dots are pits. I have left my bike between rides for much longer then a week and never had it this bad. I will remember from now on to get my bike up on the stands and use the air compressor to blow most of the moisture out and then rotate the wheel. I might take the wheel off tomorrow to give it a good cleaning. I do like the idea of just running it to wear it off though.

Quote:
eno45 - Have you touched base with Galfer? The more I look at your pic, it does not look like typical surface rust. The rotor looks somewhat pitted caused by dissimilar metals(Galvanic corrosion). Do yourself a favor, call Galfer; ask for Sandro Milesi.

Thank you for contacting us. This can happen from time to time. Reason? Pad buildup on the disc combined with the metal in the pad intself. The best way to clean this is either by bead blasting or using some 400-600 grit wet/sandpaper soap and water. A good cleaning of the pads in a figure 8 motion and you will be good to go. Do not use brake cleaner. Let me know if you have any other questions. We'll see you at the Seattle Motorcycle Show in a few weeks!

Sergio Garcia

Galfer Tech Department

post #14 of 16 Old 11-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

It appears the HH pads are the problem. You can hassle with them time after time as previously mentioned or pick up a set of OEM Honda pads. I havea pretty good feeling the Honda pads won't cause pitting.

post #15 of 16 Old 11-19-2007, 09:32 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

That kind of sux, Eno. You think you're spending hard earned moola and you're getting "unique hi carbon stainless" bla, bla, bla, and good pads, and you end up with pitted rotors. I don't think anything is damaged, but still it's the thought. Plus, now you have more maintence.

I still think that degree of rust is inexcuseable.

post #16 of 16 Old 11-20-2007, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
That kind of sux, Eno. You think you're spending hard earned moola and you're getting "unique hi carbon stainless" bla, bla, bla, and good pads, and you end up with pitted rotors. I don't think anything is damaged, but still it's the thought. Plus, now you have more maintence.

I still think that degree of rust is inexcuseable.

Funny I have been thinking the same thing. I might just swap the pads out, hope they are cheap. Like I have said already, I get rust but it's light surface rust that goes away. I just can't understand how one rainy day and one week of time could cause this. I wonder how long it will take to wear those pits out. You all know the sound of rust on the rotors, when you spin the wheel and hear the light scrape at the rust spot. Now when I do that even after cleaning the rust away I still have some heavy drag noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode