Running stock pegs on the 9er and heading for the twisties? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 09-08-2007, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Running stock pegs on the 9er and heading for the twisties?

Just a tip for new 9er owners (mostly for the newer riders in general). If you are running stock sets on the 919, before you take on any major twisties, take the feelers off the bottom of the foot pegs. You will need the room.

, I would take the bike through some moderate curves, get used to it, and then take them off.

Had an excellent ride today with a minor hiccup. Still rode home in one piece.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8453

I was still getting my form down, but I needed that little bit of room the feeler was taking up.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 06:51 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I took the spacer off the peg feeler. Gives you a bit more room, plus you don't dig into the aluminum peg itself.

post #3 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Dang. I thought I've been pushing myself pretty hard, and I don't have much of a chicken strip, maybe 1/8" but I haven't touched a peg yet on my 919. I'm guessing you have to use the whole tire to touch down? Or maybe depends on the tire?

I need to get myself to a racing school.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #4 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

My counter tip; leave those peg feelers on. IMO: If you are scraping the feelers you are going waaay too fast on the street. Take a track day under controlled conditions.

post #5 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 AM
My Bad

Agreed.

I used to have a road back east that was the perfect twisty. After a countless runs over time I had it memorized, down pat. I would wring my F4i out through the curves and hills. Everyday the road was the same... except one day, over the crest of a little hill into a blind corner (no worries right, I got the road cased!) Gravel littered my lane. No problem, I've turned in, but I can just drift wide to avoid it. Oppps, nope, cage coming in that lane.
Well, I guess he must have swerved, or slowed, cause I was committed, and had to use some of his lane. Short of it is I learned a big lesson without costing me. Even from minute to minute a road can change, someone can back out of a driveway, someone kid / dog can bolt across the street. Not worth it. A track is the place to lean it over.
Not saying I don't still lean it over a bit, but not to drag the feelers. The road Darkace road looked pretty controlled, this is in now way a slag against you buddy.

My 2 cents.

post #6 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Ok.......

So, having never been to a track day, what's the best way to get introduced?Take a class? I think there's only one track around my area that has bike days, and they're few and far between...

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #7 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 09:51 AM
My Bad

Same boat... I'm hoping to take a course, like this one ... but am still researching one in my local area. After that, if I can get on a track 2 or 3 times a year I'd be happy. Get my agression out there and keep it relatively mild on the public roads.

Anyone who has taken courses like this have any input?

Oh wise ones impart wisdom on us!

post #8 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 06:54 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Cmelnic, Putnam is about 2 1/2 hours to the east of you. I70 to US231 north in indiana. I was there 9/9/07 doing a NESBA track day. My 3rd. Had an absolute blast. It is a fairly tight course, some call it a "600 track".

20 minutes of classroom. Control riders will help you if you want, leave you alone if you want. I run in the Novice Group. I'm still pretty new to the knee down thing, but was doing it in turns 2 and 8. Turn 8 is a fairly long one, that's where the curb feelers got to be in the way. I took out the spacer, and I still touched down, but just a skim, not so hard, and my soft aluminum footpeg is unscathed.

I first got a knee and peg down on a nice wide dezerted road I know well. That road has a good run off space, just in case things turn sour. I do a "cold lap" before I ever approach pushing things. After the all clear, then I run the same strip of road over and over. That takes a lot of the danger out of getting a peg or knee down.

post #9 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

In darks defense. He was grinding the feelers at 35 mph in the corners.
I've done the same thing with stock pegs & no feelers.
The corners are super tight & the stock pegs are super low (as you know)
His failure was his body position.
He needed to be off the bike more with less lean angle.
I was going about 10-15 mph faster that he was around the same corners w/o dragging anything,except my knee. But I also have SATO rear sets.
There was 140 riders on that road that day. 313 on Sunday.
Only two riders did an oops. We know one of them & have seen the other.
Palomar is dominated by bikes.
The lines are really clean & everyone respects it.
It is, however, an advanced road.

post #10 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 05:50 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

LOL Grinding pegs @ 35! OMG

post #11 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Cmelnic, Putnam is about 2 1/2 hours to the east of you. I70 to US231 north in indiana. I was there 9/9/07 doing a NESBA track day. My 3rd. Had an absolute blast. It is a fairly tight course, some call it a "600 track".

20 minutes of classroom. Control riders will help you if you want, leave you alone if you want. I run in the Novice Group. I'm still pretty new to the knee down thing, but was doing it in turns 2 and 8. Turn 8 is a fairly long one, that's where the curb feelers got to be in the way. I took out the spacer, and I still touched down, but just a skim, not so hard, and my soft aluminum footpeg is unscathed.

I first got a knee and peg down on a nice wide dezerted road I know well. That road has a good run off space, just in case things turn sour. I do a "cold lap" before I ever approach pushing things. After the all clear, then I run the same strip of road over and over. That takes a lot of the danger out of getting a peg or knee down.
Pretty cool, thanks for the info. Do you have a 919? I went to the NESBA page and pretty much all the bikes they have pics of are full sports bikes. Is it frowned upon to take a naked bike? Do you get snubbed? Not that I give a crap, just be nice to know what to expect.

- Stephen Hawking
post #12 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 09:38 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

"If your cornering property, most times the pegs shouldn't scrape."

I.e. if you're leaning into the turn right and keeping the bike as upright as possible for maximum traction, then pegs shouldn't be scraping.

True or false?

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #13 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcent View Post
"If your cornering property, most times the pegs shouldn't scrape."

I.e. if you're leaning into the turn right and keeping the bike as upright as possible for maximum traction, then pegs shouldn't be scraping.

True or false?
On a 919? False
On any full fairing sport bike? True. In no way would they scrape.

post #14 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 10:59 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

NESBA/Putnam guys are great. Did I get snubbed? Hell no. They really liked my 919. Like I said, I run in the Novice class. There, pretty much anything goes as far as bikes. You can expect 80% of the field to be 600R's of some sort. Also in my group was a Tuono, an Interceptor, a Z1000, and my 919.

In the advanced groups, the story may be different, but I can corner as good as the 6's, and out accelerate most of the 6's out of corners. It was fun hearing from other riders, "Was that you behind me for 2 laps? I could hear you back there!" I run Satos, a PC and have an Ohlins rear shock. I have as much fun as anyone there.

Your 919 will be welcomed. I've not seen another besides mine there.

post #15 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelnick View Post
Is it frowned upon to take a naked bike? Do you get snubbed?
Many people ride naked sv650's at the track(non-S model). I have brought the 919 to the track once (with TrackAddix), and everybody liked it, I got many positive comments. Basically +1 on what Sniper said.

post #16 of 23 Old 09-15-2007, 04:23 PM
2006 919

ok some questions.
1. the peg feelers are there as an indication that the next thing to get dragged on the asphalt is hard parts. pegs fold up so when you rub the peg feelers don't the pegs move up? don't you want this advance warning?
2. why is a 919 any different pegwise than a say a vfr in this regard?
3. I am also thinking of going to FAST next year for some track school, it is rated as canada's number one track riding school. and personally think I would get more performance enhancement from my 919from track school than from a pair of slip ons, a power comander or even yup even jet coated headers and a fender eliminator kit.
and plus I might even have some money left for a happy ending massage artist. (Fast is expensive I might have to cut out the strippers and hookers for a while)
Have any of you gone to "track school" and what do you think.

Monsieur Net

post #17 of 23 Old 09-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

What now?! <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0nrMQ3QwyPo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0nrMQ3QwyPo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

2 > 4
post #18 of 23 Old 09-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

argh. forgot you can't do html.... someone fix?

2 > 4
post #19 of 23 Old 09-15-2007, 05:32 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Here ya go!

[youtube]0nrMQ3QwyPo[/youtube]

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #20 of 23 Old 09-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Sniper, have you taken the 929 to Putnam yet? I am hoping that I can get up there and do a track day next summer some time.

post #21 of 23 Old 09-16-2007, 05:45 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I have had the 929 at Puynam. I've had a lot more fun on the 919. I know that's not what is expected to happen, but it did. I really didn't like the 929 on the track. The only reason I can figure is that the 929 is a little too hardcore when it comes to really pushing things, maybe a little too responsive. Putnam is, from what I heard from others, a fairly small, tight track. I'm just an average street rider, not "Joe Racer". I thought about doing what most people do, and get a 6. The best rider I personally know is going from a ZX10 to a 6 because he says the 10 kicks his a55. He had a Gixxer 750 for a while. He said he went faster on the 750.

I don't have a 6, but I have a very nice 919. So I thought "lets try it". For my humble skill level and the one track i ride, the 919 is a perfect fit. It corners well, drives out of corners about as hard as I can deal with. I did spin up the rear once coming out of turn 8. But I was gunning for a Kawie 6 (I assumed) I got a little too heavy handed. From then on, I rolled the throttle on smoother, and no more hi side fears.

I've never been convinced of the "frame flex" issue. I thought if it did, the track will show it. I think you have to ride a 919 with a little finess. They're not quite as stable as a sport bike. A little input goes a long way, and could be mistaken for frame flex.

BTW, I ran a plain ol Conti Road Attack on rear and a new Sport Attack on front. Stuck like glue.

post #22 of 23 Old 09-16-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I've never been convinced of the "frame flex" issue. I thought if it did, the track will show it. I think you have to ride a 919 with a little finess. They're not quite as stable as a sport bike. A little input goes a long way, and could be mistaken for frame flex.
Yeah, I don't know if I really believe the frame flex thing either. I've been on Blackhawk Farms Raceway in Illinois on my niner 6 times, and that track is as bumpy as any other (though to be fair there's no elevation changes) - and I've never noticed any frame flex. I've noticed inadequacies in my 919's suspension, but never any frame flex.

I made it to NESBA's Intermediate group without having touched any other bike than my 919, so I assure you it's capable of some moderately fast turns around a track. Basically you just have to trust the bike - you're not going to get very good feedback so you pretty much have to. Just get your ass off the bike, drag your knee, and trust Honda's engineering department.

As for the peg feelers, I removed mine after my 2nd trackday. Even after putting aftermarket pegs on (though not rearsets) I'm still wearing away my toe sliders and footpegs on pretty much every high speed turn. http://nesba-mw.smugmug.com/gallery/3476264#195694241

Overall, a track bike it ain't, but it's still very fun to ride fast. Take it to the track though - highways are not the place to push this bike to its limits.

post #23 of 23 Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I really want to take my 9er to the track, cause I would love to wip it around corners and lay on the throttle. Palomar though is a great place to get a taste of some advanced curves. Yes it is a public road so the only person's word you can trust are your own two eyes. The first thought on my mind was taking a slow run up to get a feel for the road and to check out road conditions. I respect public roads cause you never what could happen. Motorcycles are big on the weekends here. So big that one of two professional photographers can be spotted up there on any given weekend. It is a great road. Tons of other riders out there too.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode