Running Rich - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 11-23-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
It's like... ya know?

Running Rich

My 919 runs pig rich. Like, I can smell it when I'm actually riding it, moving and all. It turned my liscense plate black because it sat too close to the muffler when I had an aftermarket plate bracket, and when I free rev the engine, I get little plumes of black smoke from the pipes. Any idea what might be wrong with it? It's stock other than a bafflectomy, but for the record, I've had this problem since day one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
My 919 runs pig rich. Like, I can smell it when I'm actually riding it, moving and all. It turned my liscense plate black because it sat too close to the muffler when I had an aftermarket plate bracket, and when I free rev the engine, I get little plumes of black smoke from the pipes. Any idea what might be wrong with it? It's stock other than a bafflectomy, but for the record, I've had this problem since day one.
What year is your bike (meaning carbs or injection)? Did you buy it new/recently (so it might be under warranty)?

post #3 of 8 Old 11-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

All 919's tend to run rich when pushed hard, but your '04 sounds excessive. There is a possibility that the fuel pressure regulator has a tiny hole in the diaphragm which allows excess fuel into cylinders 2 & 3. To test this, tilt the tank up, pull the vacuum hose off the FPR, and smell for raw gas. If you can smell gas at all the regulator will have to be replaced. Other than that there there are no recurring issues with the 919 I've heard of.

I'm sure you will get responses telling you to install a Power Commander, but check out the system before spending a bunch of money to mask the symptom. Trust me on this.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #4 of 8 Old 11-23-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
It's like... ya know?

Sorry.

It's a 2004 919. As far as I know, all US 919s are injected, with manual enrichment.

post #5 of 8 Old 11-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Sike

Quote:
Sorry.

It's a 2004 919. As far as I know, all US 919s are injected, with manual enrichment.
Rob helped both of us. You with good suggestions, me with (how did he know that????). Now, I know to look at the profile. If you aren't comfortable with the test Rob mentioned, hopefully you have someone in your area you trust. There is a pretty good chance it is an inexpensive repair. Last, I'm now hoping for one of the historians to tell us whether or not all the US 919's are injected.....

post #6 of 8 Old 11-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

All 919's are injected. First year for the 919 was 2002, and it came with the same fuel injection as the last year.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #7 of 8 Old 11-23-2008, 04:15 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
...when I free rev the engine, I get little plumes of black smoke from the pipes.
If I rev mine while looking at the back it will produce a little whiteish puff, but only if I give it a quick burst of maybe 75% throttle to jumps the revs up to about 7,000 and right back down. I just don't do that anymore. I've also been told, by people following me, that when I really get on it, it will puff a little white smoke out of the exhaust. Also been told that it smells like they are following a gas station. I just call it my 919 Cologne. I say we bottle up 919 exhaust and WD-40 and sell the stuff as cologne. I'd wear it.

Anyone else experience the white puff? I'm guessing it's just unburnt fuel, but what do I know?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
If I rev mine while looking at the back it will produce a little whiteish puff, but only if I give it a quick burst of maybe 75% throttle to jumps the revs up to about 7,000 and right back down. I just don't do that anymore. I've also been told, by people following me, that when I really get on it, it will puff a little white smoke out of the exhaust. Also been told that it smells like they are following a gas station. I just call it my 919 Cologne. I say we bottle up 919 exhaust and WD-40 and sell the stuff as cologne. I'd wear it.

Anyone else experience the white puff? I'm guessing it's just unburnt fuel, but what do I know?
I'm guessing motorcycles and cars are the same in this aspect, white is oil and black is fuel (talking about smoke out the tail pipe).

Back to the earlier discussion. I would make sure there isn't something that needs to be fixed. If nothing needs to be fixed, I would go with a PCIII and a custom map (because this would drive me crazy).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode