Rogue Vibrations...new brake pads? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 11-22-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
boogerface

Rogue Vibrations...new brake pads?

Hey folks,

I recently put new Honda brake pads on my 9er. The brakes on the bike still had 60% bite left, but I went ahead and put the new brakes on anyway. The same day, I got a new tire mounted, too. Now, the problem I'm noticing now is inconsistent vibrations in the handlebar and maybe the foot pegs when riding. It's been bothering me for a couple of weeks now. Today, I noticed a similar vibration when I get on the front brake. Is this the infamous brake "noise"? I'm tempted to put my old brake pads back on to check or rule them out, but posting on the forum is easier for a lazy weekend. :P

Michael Reyes

2002 Honda 919 / 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Tirone

"The same day, I got a new tire mounted, too."
Logic tells me that's the first area to address. Who mounted the tire? How was it balanced- statically or dynamically? Do the vibrations come and go at certain speeds or as speeds vary? That would be tires.

Sure must be nice to be able to ride in November, though, vibrations or not. 27 degrees and dropping right now on the North Coast, with 24" of snow on the ground.

Think of us as you wobble down the road...

post #3 of 14 Old 11-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

It certainly sounds like the tire, not the pads, are causing the vibration. Either the balance was ineptly done or the tire was stored in a rack too long and has developed a notch in the carcass, effectively making a smaller diameter at that point. If the vibration increases in severity as speed increases balance is the culprit, but if it comes and goes with speed but never really changes in severity the chances are it's a defect in the body of the tire and should be replaced. I have had that happen before and after contacting the manufacturer they replaced it free of charge. It's worth looking into. Even though a catastrophic failure is unlikely, that's just unlikely, not impossible.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #4 of 14 Old 11-22-2008, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
boogerface

That Cycle Gear wank... I'll have to ride it out a bit more before I can do anything about it since my car is still in the shop.

Thanks guys

Michael Reyes

post #5 of 14 Old 11-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

hey mike... riding it even slightly off balance is gonna ruin that new tire... imho...

post #6 of 14 Old 11-22-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
boogerface

I've driven a car with a slightly unbalanced tire and my bike doesn't feel anything like that. The vibration isn't violent. I feel it from 20 to 100+ mph and it's the same vibration...it doesn't get faster or slower. *shrug*

Michael Reyes

post #7 of 14 Old 11-23-2008, 07:40 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Inconsistant vibes in the handlebar and foot pegs anywhere from 20-10mph? Brake pads do not cause vibrations, not when you're not on them at least.

You changed pads that had 60% left, but you kept them? Why didn't you save yourself $35 and just leave em on?

There's no one here that can diagnose your problem. All we can do is guess, so I'll take my turn.

I've changed a few tires. Almost never do they need any weights. Modern manufacturing methods to the credit, I think. I'll bet what you have is just normal good ol 919 vibes. Probably get a bit worse at around 6000rpm, doesn't it?

post #8 of 14 Old 11-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Al

Definitely sounds like tyre (US = tire) is not balanced properly and you will feel it even more through the brakes. Also, eye it up on a stand by spinning the tyre and watching to see if the tyre is actually on the rim properly,, or does it wobble from left to right as if it never popped onto the rim properly.

post #9 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
boogerface

It gives an inconsistent light feeling up front. I'm going to SoFla for Thanksgiving, so I'm going to probably bring the wheel/tire with me and have it balanced at the Honda dealer for good measure... Thanks

Michael Reyes

post #10 of 14 Old 11-25-2008, 07:18 AM
DaveCB919F4

You may want to check for fork sticktion (sp). If the forks have a small missalignment they may have difficulty moving. Lossen the axel pinch bolts, hold the brake and bounce the front end hard a few times. Then retighten the pinch bolts again. Fork alignment is an easy thing to overlook when putting new tires on especially when the shop is in a hurry. Good luck.

post #11 of 14 Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 AM
DaveCB919F4

Another thing about the tire to check is the dot on the side wall. There should be a colored dot on the sidewall that marks the lightest spot for balancing. This dot should be close to the valve stem which is usually the heaviest part of the rim.

post #12 of 14 Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

If the front is truly causing your vibration. Keep it off the ground at all possible times. Bad advice indnit <--say with Kentucky twang and it will make sense.

When riding down a straight road with no traffic, lightly lift your hands just off the bars. Does they vibrate or wobble badly?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-25-2008, 07:24 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbackdlm View Post
Another thing about the tire to check is the dot on the side wall. There should be a colored dot on the sidewall that marks the lightest spot for balancing. This dot should be close to the valve stem which is usually the heaviest part of the rim.
Just saw this post. I looked my Pilot Powers over after reading this in the service manual. I don't see any dots on the front or rear. Do they wear off eventually?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Just saw this post. I looked my Pilot Powers over after reading this in the service manual. I don't see any dots on the front or rear. Do they wear off eventually?
yes.... and most techs remove them upon installation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode