Rode an 09 hornet 600 today! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Rode an 09 hornet 600 today!

A few things first to prevent any confusion.
1) I am in England this week.
2) I have driven here many times, but never rode a bike in the U.K. before.

OK- I spend about 1 week a month in England, and let me say this, the Brits love motorcycles. A friend from over here rides his GSXR 750 year round, no exceptions. He introduced me a while back to a friend of his with a hornet 600.

This afternoon we met up and I was handed the key to a beautiful 09 Hornet 600, loaned a helmet and gloves, and I had a set of boots with me. I have a jacket and jeans as well. As the GSXR turns left out of the parking lot he nails it.
I'm already thinking this is not how I want it to start. We make our way through town and onto some British country roads. Maybe 10-15 minutes into it, and now I'm all smiles, comfortable with the bike and ready for these country roads.
I follow the lead and to my relief he is riding hard, but obviously not trying to leave me, enough so we are both enjoying it.

Put about 80 miles on it and at no time was I up against the bikes limits. It was always welcoming more than I gave. We had a great time, and I got the bike back to it's rightful owner right before some afternoon showers started to roll in.

Overall a really fun bike, I could just never quite relax enough to push it. Round-abouts and driving on the wrong side of the road (very narrow roads) Just made for a lot of new elements.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Tirone

i could imagine the wrong side of the road thing being wierd, so when you go into a roundabout, your making a right turn, that would mess me all up

post #3 of 7 Old 01-27-2010, 01:18 PM
mad english

sweet. wish we could get more of THOSE bikes here. GAH!! all that big chrome and toot on sluggy v-twin cruisers!! perhaps honda can fill the void that toyota are leaving :0)

post #4 of 7 Old 01-28-2010, 02:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I'd love to hav one of those! I'd buy the 600 Hornet long before I'd get the 1000. That is if I (we) could.

Much more fun to pound on a little bike than hold back a big one.

How was the handling? Did it feel as light as it looks?

post #5 of 7 Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 AM
I like yellow bikes

Thumbs up From a happy owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Did it feel as light as it looks?
In my opinion as an '08 Hornet owner, it feels much lighter than it looks.

Honda makes a great deal of the mass centralisation concept and, like many others, I didn't pay it much attention, until I rode the Hornet 600. It is actually, in the CBS ABS version I have, 4 kg (about 9 pounds) HEAVIER than the '06 R1 I have just got rid of. But it feels far lighter, and that's not just down to the very different riding position.

The motor is great. It is surprisingly flexible lower down the rev range for a moderately tuned 600, and seldom requires downchanges (though I'll tend to for faster and thus safer overtakes). But if you wind it up beyond about 9K it really howls along. (Redline is at 13K.)

My biggest criticism of my '08 model is that the suspension is almost unadjustable (just rear preload) and can be a bit choppy on bad road surfaces. The '09 has more adjustability, so hopefully that issue is at least somewhat reduced.

Janet the jet
post #6 of 7 Old 01-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Di"zx"en

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post
A few things first to prevent any confusion.
1) I am in England this week.

This afternoon we met up and I was handed the key to a beautiful 09 Hornet 600, loaned a helmet and gloves, and I had a set of boots with me. I have a jacket and jeans as well
A full factory ride is always great! I'm lucky enough to get a few of those a year when I'm out of town too.
My last loaner was a VTX1800. A great day.

That'll work........
post #7 of 7 Old 01-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Le So Cal Troll

WHY CANT WE GET COOL BIKES LIKE THAT!!! *stomps away like a 2 ur old pouting in a temper tantrum*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode