Rode a GT1000 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 2 Old 10-09-2006, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Unbannable

Rode a GT1000

Yesterday was a good day for me. I rode from sun up till way after sun down and my butt feels like I spent the night at Neverland Ranch.

Anyway, I wanted to let you guys know about my experiance with a few bikes. I went riding with a cool old guy on a Thruxton and a fat guy on a Ducati GT1000. The GT is brand new for 2007 and he was one of the first to get them. I was really looking forward to riding a bike with the famous DS1000 motor. It turned out to be very disappointing.

The bike is geard really high. I mean really high. 6th gear was unusable at 50mph. It would just stumble and shake something feirce. On my 9er I can pull smoothly from as low as 25mph in 6th. The bike also hated to be below 4 grand which surprised me. It's an air cooled two valve motor so I thought it would rock on the bottom, but sadly, it sucked. The top end wasn't bad, but still slower than the 9er. The handling was very good in sweepers, but wasn't flickable at all. Trying to do S turns going down the road was a lot of work. For 10 grand this bike isn't worth it at all. The cool old guy agreed with me. I test ride Buell's every year and I have to say that the Buell's are better in every regard.

I also got a chance to ride a 2000 Harley police bike. I was surprised to see that it was fuel injected. The motor pulled pretty good for a huge bike. Pulling the bike off the stand required a lot of effort. Once underway the handling was decent too, but where it really shines is going strait. The position my body was in was perfect. I felt like I could ride it all day long. My biggest dislike was the high windshield. It made the wind hit my head in all kinds of directions so my head was being pushed side to side.

In every case I was happiest on my bike. Everyone liked mine as well. The old guy even asked me to bring it to his other buddies house so that he could ride it. They all commented on how nimble it felt and coudln't understand why all the magazines bash it the way they do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-09-2006, 06:32 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

GT1000 First Ride

Another forum, another rider's point of view:

I took our GT1000 demo bike out for a few miles today, what a great bike! It's very light on it's feet, I was shocked at how easily it went into corners. Feels a lot like a Monster really but a slightly more relaxed seat/bar relationship and lower pegs, I could put some miles on this bike for sure. The DS 1000 motor is obviously a treat in any bike, and this one is no exception. Does have a wet clutch, but not the "EZ-Pull" wet clutch in the smaller motor, and this one is not a slipper. The exhaust doesn't sound bad when you hear the bike go by with someone else riding it, but when I was riding it I thought it was way too quiet. The suspension was a pleasant surprise also, it's very plush and absorbed rough pavement as well as any bike this side of the MultiStrada 1000S, but still felt pretty well planted in corners. Brakes are good too (not great like the S4Rs, but good). And the grey metallic (which really has a hint of green to it) is stunning in person, although I'd still have to get red if I was buying one for my own street bike. Definitely go check them out if you get a chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode