Road bumps and throttle fluctuation - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Road bumps and throttle fluctuation

Still running my new 919 in but wonder if others have this problem. When riding on uneven or choppy roads the suspension bounces the bike a bit resulting in the throttle hand speeding up or slowing down the engine speed as a result of the bouncing around. Coming off a bike with carbs I find the throttle very sensitive to small adjustments from the right wrist. I am a lightweight and part of the problem is getting the suspension settings set soft enough to smooth out some of the road uneveness.
On a different note,comparing the 07 models from USA to here in Australia, my bike is a burnt orange colour with a black engine. This appears different to your colours.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Same complaint. I've tried easing my grip and that doesn't seem to help. The one thing that made it a little better is the use of a Crampbuster. It's definitely not the smoothest FI bike available.

Post up some pics of your bike. I'd like to see that color combo.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 03:38 AM
Milites Gregarius

Same problem here. I found two fixes to my riding position to help this.
1. Relax your right hand a wrist a bit when on rough rodes.
2. Hand/wrist position. Look at your right wrist, palm down. Bring the wrist up and back toward you. use this type of hand position when riding, it limits the movement to open the throttle and smoothes out your thottle response.

Hope that helps.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 04:44 AM
I like yellow bikes

I used to only really notice it in town, in the lower gears. I used to find that a partial solution was often to run it one gear higher. The bike's plenty flexible enough to take it, and that smoothed it out quite a lot. But relaxation also helps, as others have said.

Janet the jet
post #5 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 05:19 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Great suggestions so far
One more:
I hear ya about the suspension settings. I upgraded to an f4i fork early on and the settings WAY too stiff for the first season. The next spring, I set the "sack" on them and dialed the dampening way back on compression and this helped immensely.
Short of a fork upgrade, perhaps a lighter oil and maybe even lighter springs would help a lot.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 08:55 AM

Have you tried holding it WFO

post #7 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 08:58 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

On my '04 919 I did not notice this problem. I had a K&N filter, flapper mod, and PC III, but I'm not sure if any of those changes would have anything to do with the smoothness. I also had a guy at the track help me set up my suspension for my weight.

I have not done any of the mods listed above to my '07 919 yet and I constantly notice the issue you mention on rougher roads at slower speeds - but only at slower speeds.
I will do the K&N and flapper mod this week, and hopefully find time to install the PAIRs plates and the PC III as well. Hopefully that will make a difference.

post #8 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

This is a common complaint, primarily from new owners. The first thing I noticed when I started riding my '02 was the sensitivity of the throttle just off closed transitions, but it was not an issue with me -- in fact, it made matching revs for downshifts a breeze: the tiniest amount of throttle does the trick.

One thing I have done for years, other than relaxing my hand, may help you with this -- always rest your right index finger on top of the brake lever. It gives you brain a reference for where your hand / wrist is that is much more accurate than just the wrist alone, and lets you preload your hand to help keep it in one position. The only thing you have to be careful about is to not pull on the lever accidentally, activating the brake light and possibly dragging the brakes. I think as you acclimate to the bike the sensitivity will become less of an issue, and in fact you will probably come to appreciate the most responsive twist grip in the entire motorcycle world!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #9 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Milites Gregarius

+1 for upshifting.

If you see a bumpy road coming, just go up a gear or two below 2k rpm's and it will be much less responsive.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Tesserarius

I always ride with two fingers on the brake lever, it steadies the hand and you're right there if in trouble!

post #11 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Smile

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have got the suspension about where I want it.
Went for a ride this morning and tried relaxing the right arm and wrist and hand, and kept the wrist higher and straighter and it did make a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode