rizomas - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 04-21-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Question rizomas

quick question, anyone know if i need these resisters for the rizomas? or can i just wire the black box directly to the bike? i have a flasher relay so i'm not sure if the resister is for the flash speed or if it's to drop the voltage before it reaches the black box. a quick look at the website didnt tell me anything about needing the resister or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-21-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

19 views and not 1 response? c'mon.. anyone with rizomas out there who can chime in?

post #3 of 16 Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Sorry, don't have rizomas. I understood the resistor was only for flash rate on LED signals, so if you've got an electronic flasher, you should be fine - otherwise you'll just have a fast blink rate. I heard the Rizo's are a special breed though, and have some crazy capacitor-resistor-box thing with them. Maybe email their tech support?

post #4 of 16 Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
quick question, anyone know if i need these resisters for the rizomas?
What resistors?
Quote:
or can i just wire the black box directly to the bike? i have a flasher relay so i'm not sure if the resister is for the flash speed or if it's to drop the voltage before it reaches the black box. a quick look at the website didnt tell me anything about needing the resister or not.
Of course you have the flasher, but a certain class of high power LED's need a separate power supply, called a current buck driver, that is required for proper operation, or any operation at all. I can't say if these do or don't without more information.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #5 of 16 Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

hey rob, thanks for chiming in. the resisters i'm talking about are the ones that come with the rizomas. also comes with a black box, i guess thats what you're referring to as the "buck driver"?

check out pj's page here: PJs Parts

i'm asking if i can connect the black box (buck driver) directly into the bike's wiring without the resisters shown in the picture. what throws me off is that the wording in the pictures says to not remove the black box for each picture, yet the only difference is the number of resisters for each wattage shown. hope this helps?

post #6 of 16 Old 04-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Semper Vigilo

I believe that the resistors are for the flash rate. PJs page states the following:
"Optional resistors are included in case you need to slow down the flash rate. "

post #7 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

I just got a pair of Rizoma Zero 11's for my 919 but have not installed them yet as I am waiting on the extenders to arrive. Mine have the black box already connected to the signals and it says DO NOT remove it. It also has two separate sets of resistors.
It was my understanding that these are for slowing the flash rate if needed. So I would say the resistors are optional if they flash too fast for your liking after installing. When the extenders arrive I am going to wire them up and test them before reassembling the tail section and see if I need the resistors. Here are the instructions that came with mine. Hope this helps.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Red Rider

If you just wire the Rizoma's up as they came your blink rate will be fast! I just left mine that way!

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #9 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

thanks woody, but as mentioned in the first post, i have a flasher relay...

thanks gary and guys! i'll jus go ahead and wire them up without the resisters. i dont want to deal with them if i dont have to. it's bad enough i have to cut the signal wires to splice in some quick connectors due to the fact that the plug for the signal to connect to the black box is too big to fit in the mounting hole for the signals.

post #10 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

I have the Rizoma Track 77 for all 4 lights on my bike. As long as you have the flasher relay, you should be fine w/o the resistors.

Don't chuck out the resistors just yet though. Save the bullet connectors on them and splice those in to the OEM wires so you can save yourself hassle if you ever decide to take off the lights at a later point.

post #11 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

sckll.. i wish i could! bullet connectors were already missing on the rizomas (bought used from a member on the forum), plus the connectors for the bike harness were hacked into and missing as well. creating new connectors.

do you have your front rizomas as running/turn? if so, how? diodes?

post #12 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I use the front rizomas as both running and turn signals. People in front of me have told me that they're very visible and bright even during the day.

Using a diode is the easiest way to go.

https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...html#post98567

post #13 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
I use the front rizomas as both running and turn signals. People in front of me have told me that they're very visible and bright even during the day.
perfect! then you can answer this question for me lol. i've been wanting to do rizomas in the front but idk where to add the diode in due to the plug for the light itself and the black box. do you add in the diode between the black box and the bike's wiring? pictures?

post #14 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

I won't be able to take pictures until later tonight, but I can explain a bit. The diode needs to be inserted between the light and the connector to the harness.

OEM: OEM harness -> connector -> 3 wires -> light
New: OEM harness -> connector -> 3 wires -> diode -> 2 wires -> black box -> light

2 of the wires need to connect to one end of the diode and come out of the other as 1. There's a diagram in the link above which tells you the exact color of the wires that need to be joined. Never remove the load box (black box) or else the LEDs will burn out.

post #15 of 16 Old 04-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Pilus Posterior

I got some connector leads when fitting after-market turn signals - they plug straight into the stock leads then you click in the turn signals - easy as and you do not need to butcher your stock wiring, making it a breeze to change back to standard if selling the bike.

Connector Leads Kits

post #16 of 16 Old 04-27-2010, 05:42 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
I got some connector leads when fitting after-market turn signals - they plug straight into the stock leads then you click in the turn signals - easy as and you do not need to butcher your stock wiring, making it a breeze to change back to standard if selling the bike.

Connector Leads Kits
Thanks for that link!! That's what I've been looking for and that place is like 45 minutes ride away from me!
I had previously purchased an extra set of stock signals and made my own.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode