Riding to Idaho - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 57 Old 06-30-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Riding to Idaho

If the wife gets stationed back here we are taking a rode trip on the 9er to Idaho to visit family. I am 900 miles away for the 16000 mile service, and have a question or two about that and other things. All in all the trip will bee anywhere between 1800-2200 miles. I have 15100 on my bike as of now.

Been researching the whole valve clearance check and have read that most didn't need any adjustment, even well past 16000. My 9er is doing just fine, and I am thinking abut holding off on the valve checks until after the ride. Shouldn't be more than 1500 over due. Bad idea?

As far as the other checks:
Tires are good
Getting new sprockets and chains. Want to go with 17t on the front to move that buzz range. Can I go with 17/43 or do I have to switch to 17/44?
Trying to send the seat to Spencer's seat mod to get some of the LD gel put in.
Would also like to get a HID headlight.
Have some Renthal Ultra Lows on the way.

Please, any tips, suggestions, or stuff I left out?

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

you're fine holding off on the valve checks
17/43 is an option

post #3 of 57 Old 06-30-2008, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
you're fine holding off on the valve checks
17/43 is an option
Those were the two big things I was hoping I could do. Thanks.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

post #4 of 57 Old 07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Hornet Grandpa!

Where in Idaho? I used to live there and have a married son there.

post #5 of 57 Old 07-01-2008, 06:33 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Pack 1/2 the clothes and twice the money!

Don't forget to take a small can of chain lube with you.

post #6 of 57 Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
Where in Idaho? I used to live there and have a married son there.
Carey, ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
Pack 1/2 the clothes and twice the money!

Don't forget to take a small can of chain lube with you.
Never thought about a small can of lube. If I forget it, you think personal lube will work for the meantime¿

Planning on packing one set of clothes and wearing the other. I can wash the other set in a sink somewhere and dry them using the exhaust.

That is what I did with my clothes list though. Wrote down what I was going to bring and cut it in half. Twice the money wasn't as easy. Still waiting on the money tree seeds.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #7 of 57 Old 07-02-2008, 08:37 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post

you think personal lube will work for the meantime¿

Still waiting on the money tree seeds.
WAY MORE INFO on the "personal lube" than I need to know. (Actually chain lube will work for both!)

I've been waiting for MY money tree seeds since the 70's!

post #8 of 57 Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Hornet Grandpa!

Quote:
Carey, ID

Never thought about a small can of lube. If I forget it, you think personal lube will work for the meantime¿

Planning on packing one set of clothes and wearing the other. I can wash the other set in a sink somewhere and dry them using the exhaust.

That is what I did with my clothes list though. Wrote down what I was going to bring and cut it in half. Twice the money wasn't as easy. Still waiting on the money tree seeds.
Ah, Carey! There might be a Honda dealership at Mountain Home, possibly at Sun Valley/Ketchum if you get stuck. Carey's a little out of the way but you'll see some great country near there. Take a daytrip up to Sun Valley, up over Galena Summit, and into the Stanley Basin where the Salmon River begins and is small enough to step across. This area is where the Clint Eastwood movie "Pale Rider" was filmed. Been there many times. Take your camera and be careful of deer, elk, cows, and coyotes crossing the road. Might even see a mountain lion!

post #9 of 57 Old 07-03-2008, 05:11 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Also be careful of the LaHood boys, they're a mean bunch. Take yourself a nice piece of Hickory.

post #10 of 57 Old 07-22-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Also be careful of the LaHood boys, they're a mean bunch. Take yourself a nice piece of Hickory.
Boy, am I going to be outta place in Idaho. Can a brotha get a translation?

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #11 of 57 Old 07-23-2008, 05:23 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

try northern arkansas if you wanna feel outta place, sheesh

post #12 of 57 Old 07-23-2008, 06:00 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Good luck on the trip Brian. Hope you guys have a great time!

post #13 of 57 Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Thanks. Getting the new sprockets and chain installed today, then parking the bike for a couple of days and sending the seat to spencers.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #14 of 57 Old 07-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Boy, am I going to be outta place in Idaho. Can a brotha get a translation?
LOL sorry. Pale Rider reference.

[youtube]4vWgYZpuK_g[/youtube]

post #15 of 57 Old 07-24-2008, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

I'll have to check out the big white square when I get home. Stupid navy network.

Well, the sprockets and chain were installed last night. Very nice. The tri-metal dropped a good amount of weight and the 17t dropped the rpms about 1k. At 75mph I am sitting a little under 4500rpm. Well outta the vibe range. Around 50-55mph 6th gear felt like the bike was pulling itself. I was coming up on a car on an on ramp and cutting the throttle was enough to keep behind him. I had a bit of time to appreciate the feeling before I had to downshift. I can't wait for this trip.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #16 of 57 Old 07-24-2008, 04:14 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Well, the sprockets and chain were installed last night. Very nice. The tri-metal dropped a good amount of weight and the 17t dropped the rpms about 1k. At 75mph I am sitting a little under 4500rpm. Well outta the vibe range. Around 50-55mph 6th gear felt like the bike was pulling itself. I was coming up on a car on an on ramp and cutting the throttle was enough to keep behind him. I had a bit of time to appreciate the feeling before I had to downshift. I can't wait for this trip.
Sounds perfect for highway riding, have a great trip and be safe!

post #17 of 57 Old 07-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Unbannable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
WAY MORE INFO on the "personal lube" than I need to know. (Actually chain lube will work for both!)

I've been waiting for MY money tree seeds since the 70's!
This reminds me of a story I heard back in high school shop class. There was a kid there who used motor oil as his "personal lubricant" after a while the oil saturated the skin and caused some real problmes. They had to eventually cut all the skin off!

So yeah, stay away from automotive products.

post #18 of 57 Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 AM
In it for the Gas Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
This reminds me of a story I heard back in high school shop class. There was a kid there who used motor oil as his "personal lubricant" after a while the oil saturated the skin and caused some real problmes. They had to eventually cut all the skin off!

I guess I should stop now. I was really enjoying the viscosity of 10w40...

2003 Honda 919: Matte Black
post #19 of 57 Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Imagine explaining those scars to the ladies...um yeah, well you see, umm, I used to pleasure myself with motor oil and well, umm, they had to remove the skin on my unit.

post #20 of 57 Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Brian, I've lived in Nampa for 2 and a half years; a lot of partying in Caldwell and Boise. Great place to live but I wouldn't want to just visit. God's country up there.

If you get a chance, ride up north of Boise through Eagle and up Highway 55. Go north past the Horseshoe Bend and keep heading north on 55 to Lake Cascade. An Army friend from Boise had a family cabin up there, we used to take our dirt bikes to rip around all the fire trails up there. Take a collapsible fishing pole, nothing fancy, for some excellent perch and bluegill on the camp fire. Like I said God's country.

I've also ridden a friends Yamaha MaximX (shaft drive, hehe) up there a few times; great riding and beautiful scenery.

Have fun and take lots of pictures for us.

BTW I already told Hasbeen, and if the laws haven't changed since 1988, you can carry a loaded sidearm legally; I wouldn't do it in the big cities, but I always carried my S&W 357 when I was out camping or hunting.

post #21 of 57 Old 07-25-2008, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

If I can I will definitely take a ride up there, but we are going to be 3 hours east of Boise. Hopefully I don't upset too many Mormans.

I would like to take one just in case, I didn't get any time to take care of it. Plus my dad isn't to thrawled about the decision. He says if you feel the need for one don't ride the bike. Told him I would take it in a car too. He wasn't too happy to find out every time I took a road trip I took some sort of weapon with me. Collapsable staffs, swords, knives. If I need it, it is there. Although he did say if I was going to try and get a snub nose or somthing with a shorter barrel. Just now I have to see if one of my brothers can mail one out to me.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #22 of 57 Old 07-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Imagine explaining those scars to the ladies...um yeah, well you see, umm, I used to pleasure myself with motor oil and well, umm, they had to remove the skin on my unit.
Nah. Tell them you're such a good lover you burnt the skin off the thing and had to have it medically rebuilt.

Have fun road trippin'.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #23 of 57 Old 07-25-2008, 05:10 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
If I can I will definitely take a ride up there, but we are going to be 3 hours east of Boise. Hopefully I don't upset too many Mormans.

I would like to take one just in case, I didn't get any time to take care of it. Plus my dad isn't to thrawled about the decision. He says if you feel the need for one don't ride the bike. Told him I would take it in a car too. He wasn't too happy to find out every time I took a road trip I took some sort of weapon with me. Collapsable staffs, swords, knives. If I need it, it is there. Although he did say if I was going to try and get a snub nose or somthing with a shorter barrel. Just now I have to see if one of my brothers can mail one out to me.
Tell him it's for protection against bears and wild boar.

post #24 of 57 Old 07-26-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokali View Post
Tell him it's for protection against bears and wild boar.
Tried that one. Also threw in king cobras, rattlesnakes, jumping tarantulas, and land sharks.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #25 of 57 Old 07-26-2008, 08:04 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:

He should of used Repsol

Professional
post #26 of 57 Old 07-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Hornet Grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokali View Post
Brian, I've lived in Nampa for 2 and a half years; a lot of partying in Caldwell and Boise. Great place to live but I wouldn't want to just visit. God's country up there.

If you get a chance, ride up north of Boise through Eagle and up Highway 55. Go north past the Horseshoe Bend and keep heading north on 55 to Lake Cascade. An Army friend from Boise had a family cabin up there, we used to take our dirt bikes to rip around all the fire trails up there. Take a collapsible fishing pole, nothing fancy, for some excellent perch and bluegill on the camp fire. Like I said God's country.

I've also ridden a friends Yamaha MaximX (shaft drive, hehe) up there a few times; great riding and beautiful scenery.

Have fun and take lots of pictures for us.

BTW I already told Hasbeen, and if the laws haven't changed since 1988, you can carry a loaded sidearm legally; I wouldn't do it in the big cities, but I always carried my S&W 357 when I was out camping or hunting.
I lived in Caldwell from 1987 to 2002. We used to trail ride up 8th street in Boise, up over the mountain and into the Bogus Basin drainage. Great place to ride. I always took a firearm too, usually a Beretta 96 (.40 S&W). I only needed it once when some knuckleheads in a pickup found us near the site where they poached deer. They pulled out a baseball bat and an ax handle from behind the truck seat and started toward us. I swing my bike around broadside to show them the pistol. They beat a hasty retreat!

I loved the Owyhee mountains even more than the Boise area for riding.

post #27 of 57 Old 07-28-2008, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Now my wife isn't too happy about it. Looks like I am traveling without it. Gonna get a big knife though. Maybe I can get away with carrying my nodachi on my back.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #28 of 57 Old 08-06-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Getting ready for the trip so far the only things I am waiting on are the Ventura rack and backpack (Friday) and the Autocom's bike power supply cord (Thursday). Got the seat back from Spencer's today. Haven't rode on it yet, but just sitting on it you can tell a great deal of difference. Also should be picking up a new helmet tomorrow. Going with Sparx. I have read some really good reviews about them.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #29 of 57 Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

You got a lot of work to do.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #30 of 57 Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

The hardest thing is going to be getting the sidebags situated. I am trying to figure out a way to get the straps to route under the seat instead of over.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #31 of 57 Old 08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

good luck my friend

post #32 of 57 Old 08-07-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Thank you.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #33 of 57 Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
I lived in Caldwell from 1987 to 2002. We used to trail ride up 8th street in Boise, up over the mountain and into the Bogus Basin drainage. Great place to ride. I always took a firearm too, usually a Beretta 96 (.40 S&W). I only needed it once when some knuckleheads in a pickup found us near the site where they poached deer. They pulled out a baseball bat and an ax handle from behind the truck seat and started toward us. I swing my bike around broadside to show them the pistol. They beat a hasty retreat!

I loved the Owyhee mountains even more than the Boise area for riding.
Spent a lot of time downhill skiing up at Bogus Basin; I forgot the name of the ski resort though.

I miss fishing for bass on the Snake River; wish I had done some sturgeon fishing too. Lots of time spent pheasant and duck hunting around Nampa; and grouse and deer at the Owyhees. Elk hunting up at Sawtooth-Bitterroot mountains.

Oh man, so many great memories from Potatoland.

I got Lynard Skynard's Boise song playing in my head.

post #34 of 57 Old 08-09-2008, 09:08 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Safe ride Brian. Have a good trip!

post #35 of 57 Old 08-09-2008, 08:35 PM

Awards Showcase

+1
Ride safe and have fun.

When are you leaving and what's your route?

Sorry about the thread jack two posts up.

post #36 of 57 Old 08-22-2008, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Hi guys. The wife and I are back, safe, and in one piece. Unfortunately, an hour after I got back (which was at 9 pm) I had to go to work. We spent the 9th with her aunt and uncle in Laguna Hills. Left there at 7 am on the 10th, and didn't stop until Salt Lake City around 9 pm. The route was the 15N to 84W (north of Salt Lake City) then to 93N (Twin Falls, ID) which runs straight through Carey, ID. Our half-way point was Cedar City, UT. The ride up there was not bad at all. The 17t front sprocket, Spencer seat mod, and Renthal Ultra lows worked out incredibly well. Unfortunately we didn't stop to take many pics during the ride. I will post up the vacation details/pics this weekend.

The ride back was not as good as the ride up. We didn't get outta there until 11 am. We were also delayed a day because I had to have the rear tyre replaced. Picked up a piece of metal somwhere which caused a puncture. Pulled it and air came out. I just won't trust a plug for that long. The saddle bags wouldn't sit right, and any bad bumps would rock the bags hard enough to cause the exhaust to come into contact with the license plate LED bolts. Which in turn shorted out the system, shut the bike down, and blew a 10A fuse. Happened 3 times before I got everything sitting right. Then when night fell we stopped to swap visors and headed back out. Only to discover that my Clear Alt integrated tail light wasn't working. Had to travel 16 mile without it until we hit the next exit with services. Pulled into a Chevron and it took me a bit to fix it. Finding the problem took 30 seconds. Fuse was good, so looked at the connector and found it was disconnected. Took some fine manipulating to get it connected right. We didn't hit Cedar until 11 pm. After the late night we got a jacuzzi suite and got to bed ASAP. We didn't leave again until 11 am. Hit the desert at 12:30. Made it a horrible drive through what felt like 110 degree heat. Baker was 104 degrees. Had to stop twice to cool down. The 9er was handling the heat just fine though. Finally got home at 9 pm last night.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #37 of 57 Old 08-22-2008, 08:15 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Good to hear you're back safe and sound. Bummer about the frustrations on the return trip.

post #38 of 57 Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Hi guys. The wife and I are back, safe, and in one piece.
Glad you and your wife made it back safe! Look forward to hearing more details!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #39 of 57 Old 08-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Bump!

Get busy (I'm selfishly awaiting the Spencer seat mod review...)!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #40 of 57 Old 08-24-2008, 06:31 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
Bump!

Get busy (I'm selfishly awaiting the Spencer seat mod review...)!
Me too.

Professional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode