Riding Boots - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 40 Old 10-03-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
yensyensen

Riding Boots

I'm interested in buying a pair of boots for riding the 919. I've never owned a pair of riding boots before and i'm new to owning a sport bike. I won't be taking the bike to a track or doing much aggressive riding. I've done a little research and I think I would want more of a touring style boot rather than a full on race style boot. The less buckles and plastic the better. IMO. Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 10-03-2010, 06:16 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

best boots ever: Thor 50/50. I have them, I use them, I love them

read here

Thor 50 50 Motocross Boot Review: Off-Road.com

post #3 of 40 Old 10-03-2010, 06:49 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

I have Dr. Martin steeltoe boots. I can ride in the rain for a few hours without getting wet and are comfy to walk with.

post #4 of 40 Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Omnivore

I got a pair of Alpinestars touring boots a few months ago and love them.

Web Gore-tex Boot - Alpinestars Official Store

Before that I also wore Dr. Martens, but I find the Alpinestars much more comfortable... VERY waterproof, but not too hot... good for walking around when off the bike too.

post #5 of 40 Old 10-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Sixty-9er

I have some Alpinestars One O One street boots. Comfortable, stylish, and work well HOWEVER mine have worn through the top left toe where the shifter hits. This happened in less than a season. I'm gonna write them an email and complain when I get around to it. Sucks because I love the shoes and still wear them but I know its only a matter of time before my toe is getting aired out.

One-O-One Shoe - Alpinestars Official Store

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #6 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by acall View Post
I got a pair of Alpinestars touring boots a few months ago and love them.

Web Gore-tex Boot - Alpinestars Official Store

Before that I also wore Dr. Martens, but I find the Alpinestars much more comfortable... VERY waterproof, but not too hot... good for walking around when off the bike too.
I've got two pair of those. Best motorcycle boots I've ever worn. You can take off and walk around in them from the first moment you put them on, and do so comfortably. Nice boots.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 02:30 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I've got two pair of those. Best motorcycle boots I've ever worn. You can take off and walk around in them from the first moment you put them on, and do so comfortably. Nice boots.
+1 I have a pair too and they are 3 years old and still in great shape, very comfy and keep my feet pretty warm in winter.

post #8 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

I have a pair of SIDI Way boots similar to these. I've worn them all day without issue and walked around in them comfortably too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg waymegarain1.jpeg (68.3 KB, 10 views)

post #9 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 05:03 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I was in that same spot as you. I had never owned dedicated motorcycle boots before. I wanted something that wouldn't make me look like Gene Simmons while not riding and I also wanted them waterproof. I went with these. They are very comfortable to walk around in and look like regular casual boots. They have an ankle buckle but it would be a simple matter to remove it and just go with the laces. I have only been riding with them a month but I think they're great. NO offense to the Gene Simmons boots previously posted.

Icon Accelerant Waterproof Boots - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

I usually wear Doc Martens as well, but never thought of them as comfortable. I was going to say you could shoot over to Leo's South and check them out, but you're about an hour south or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_Icon_Accelerant_Waterproof_Boots_Black.jpg (13.2 KB, 389 views)

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #10 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 05:30 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

i guess imma outta the norm here, i bought a pair of Aquila's branded boots, not the most comfy to walk in, but i didnt buy them to walk in

post #11 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
but i didnt buy them to walk in
Very true, so let me qualify my above statement by saying, They allow enough ankle flex to shift easily, they are no so bulky that it is difficult to shift. The thick rubber soles offer complete isolation from the buzzy 4200-5000 919 rev range, and you get all that for $125.

Again, just my observations on this particular boot. The taller boots, to me, look like hell, but would seem to offer very nice protection well above the ankle especially if your pants start to creep up. The cost is what throws me. Those usually run over $200. Maybe next year.

How much were Aquila's? I tried to get in on his Legionnaire glove buy, but it was before I knew about "thread subscriptions" and missed my chance.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #12 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I have Joe Rocket Meteor boots. They are all day comfy and waterproof. I've had mine for about 2 years/16,000 miles and they are starting to show some wear. The part you pull over to velcro is starting to rip. Don't know if I'd buy them again, but they are okay.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #13 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

$200 for pants or a jacket I understand, $200 for shoes I think is fracken crazy. I dont spend more than $60 on any pair of shoes. So I find my self hitting my head hard against the wall everytime it comes time for me to look at riding boots. I just can't spend that kind of money.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #14 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 01:36 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

These are my street riding boots, but you better be able to ride your ass off at the front of the pack or never leave the Starbucks one of the two

post #15 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Aquilifer

At least they have toe-sliders.

If I ride on my toe-nails I still drag my toe-sliders in the 919.

My usual disclaimer: I have the stock suspension and haven't set sag for my weight YMMV etc etc

post #16 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
$200 for pants or a jacket I understand, $200 for shoes I think is fracken crazy. I dont spend more than $60 on any pair of shoes. So I find my self hitting my head hard against the wall everytime it comes time for me to look at riding boots. I just can't spend that kind of money.
I won't say what my last pair of tennis shoes cost. Heck, the shoes I wear to the office were even more expensive than my riding boots.

Stick a pair of quality shoes on them feet and feel the difference.

post #17 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 02:19 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
These are my street riding boots, but you better be able to ride your ass off at the front of the pack or never leave the Starbucks one of the two
Don't lie! These are really what you wear...and I know you wear them with socks on.

post #18 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 02:20 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:

post #19 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
I was in that same spot as you. I had never owned dedicated motorcycle boots before. I wanted something that wouldn't make me look like Gene Simmons while not riding and I also wanted them waterproof. I went with these. They are very comfortable to walk around in and look like regular casual boots. They have an ankle buckle but it would be a simple matter to remove it and just go with the laces. I have only been riding with them a month but I think they're great. NO offense to the Gene Simmons boots previously posted.

Icon Accelerant Waterproof Boots - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
I've been wearing these ones for a year now, very comfortable. Good boot to walk around in, waterproofing is very effective. They can get a little hot though.

post #20 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Damn! Reminds me of a guy on one of the rides i went on. White Puma boots - looked like a Star Wars Storm Trooper.

I love my Sidi B2 boots:

post #21 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Tirone

I have a pair of Triumph riding boots that my wife bought me for my b-day this year.

love em. Comfy from the first time I put em on and pretty nice for walking around in also (but the top of the boot tends to rub my calf if I don't tighten down the tops enough.

Kept my feet bone-dry though a couple torrential downpours already $$.

And when not on the bike they almost pass for normal boots.

post #22 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 04:58 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Damn! Reminds me of a guy on one of the rides i went on. White Puma boots - looked like a Star Wars Storm Trooper.

I love my Sidi B2 boots:
How about these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adidas_sand_bg.jpg (131.4 KB, 12 views)

post #23 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

The guys on the local board swear by the Sidi boots. Never tried them.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #24 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 06:19 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
The guys on the local board swear by the Sidi boots. Never tried them.
I find the Sidis fit my feet well, so I stick with them.

I have two sets now, having upgraded to a more hardcore Vortice boot just for the track.
My original Strada Evo Tepor boots of 2006 are still fine. To me they seemed to be the limit in terms of still being a true " wear for many hours in comfort and very easy to walk in" boot. I still see them the same way and would get them again, or whatever the present day equivalent is.

My wife has a pair of Sidi woman specific Jasmin Rain, and finds them to be a very comfortable boot.

post #25 of 40 Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I love my Daytona boots. I've had them forever and they still look brand new. Those Germans sure know how to make a good boot!

post #26 of 40 Old 10-05-2010, 06:09 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:

I love my Sidi B2 boots:
I've had the B2 for years. Love them! Not a top of the line race boot, but comfortable and well made; well worth the $200.

post #27 of 40 Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Petrol Head

Hi
Been riding Sidi Vertigo's for 2 years and these are excellent boots for street and track riding, specially like this ventilation system

http://r6blog.com/wp-content/uploads...tigo-zwart.jpg

post #28 of 40 Old 10-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Optio

Garage
I have a pair of Sidi Vertigo Corsa's. Got a great deal on them. I have wide feet and find with the extra adjustability of these boots they are comfy enough for me to wear all day.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #29 of 40 Old 10-08-2010, 06:15 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I love my Sidi B2 boots:
+1

I got mine used for about $90 off of eBay.

Very comfortable, but I don't have anything to compare to other than A-Stars MX boots (Tech-5 & Tech-8)... totally different ballgame.

The only downside to the B2 (and this may apply to most street/track boots) is the soles wear fairly quickly due to being kinda soft. But I know the more expensive SIDI's come with soles that can be replaced by the consumer just by ordering new ones off the website.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #30 of 40 Old 10-08-2010, 08:00 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

UPDATE...

I get regular email alerts from bikebandit - just received one from them & found these TCX SS Sport Touring Boots:

TCX SS Sport Touring Boots - BikeBandit.com

To me they look comparable to my B2's, if I were looking for a new pair of boots I'd consider them.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #31 of 40 Old 10-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

post #32 of 40 Old 10-13-2010, 05:23 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

$150.00
but that was the group buy price

post #33 of 40 Old 10-14-2010, 05:45 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I also have the B2 boots, in the GoreTex version. It rains every day in Miami during the summer and I had to have something weatherproof. In retrospect I could have spent less money but they are quality boots with replaceable parts. They certainly look abnormal to be walking in but I cover them with my pants legs.

Don't forget good tall boot socks that wick moisture. I wear Fox River boot socks and bought six pair from zappos.com.

post #34 of 40 Old 10-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Tirone

I recently bought a pair of Alpinestars Web boots too & like them alot. A friend of mine bought the Alpinestars Ridge boots at the same time & she likes them too. They're both touring style boots (velcro & zippers--no buckles). The Ridge are shorter than my Webs. Both are waterproof. I also have a pair of Shift Fuel shoes and find them very comfortable. They offer less protection than my Alpinestars though. Also, thay are not in any way waterproof (I know this from experience)

post #35 of 40 Old 12-18-2010, 11:34 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Bump for a new question.

Okay I have resorted my self to spending the $200 or more for a good set of boots. However, I need to find a pair that has good soles and wont slip on light gravel. I don't need Dirt boots but something with enough tracktion that I wont loose grip when I setp on gravel.

post #36 of 40 Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Optio

I havn't been able to bring myself to buy a nice pair street riding boots. But past experience has taught me that if their is one article of clothing one will spend money on. Its foot wear. Pants/jackets/shirts can be ceap and comfy. But boots. You get what you pay for. Get good quality stuff.

Ever since I did landscaping as a college job I realized the cheapo boots don't cut it. Get the 100 or even 200 dollar boots. Man they are like wearing high end running shoes but with the protection of a boot. I rarely wear gym shoes anymore. Exceptt when I go to the gym of coarse.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #37 of 40 Old 12-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally posted by 07919Dave
I need to find a pair that has good soles and wont slip on light gravel. I don't need Dirt boots but something with enough tracktion that I wont loose grip when I setp on gravel.
This was also one of my requirements in a boot.

I looked far and wide and ended up with this Sidi product built for Aerostich. So far I'm very happy with them, they are made from a very heavy leather which took about a month to break in and they have a lug sole which offers good grip and can be replaced when it wears out.

post #38 of 40 Old 12-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Di"zx"en

Icon Field armor....Alpinestars Scout..and a pair of Nitro ...Really like the Scouts but you guys might think they are too "ADV rider". They are as waterproof as a submarine..

That'll work........
post #39 of 40 Old 01-01-2011, 06:04 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
How about these?
this is awesome

post #40 of 40 Old 01-02-2011, 04:03 AM
Omnivore

New Enough has the Sidi B2's on closeout right now.

Sidi B2 Gore-Tex Motorcycle Boot :: New Enough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode