Replace OEM rear tire vs set of Pilot Powers? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 06-25-2007, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Replace OEM rear tire vs set of Pilot Powers?

I got a flat Sunday (of course I was 125 miles from home!)

Rear tire needs replacement.

I've got 1500 miles on the bike- the front tire looks almost new.

The dealer has Michelin Pilot powers for $50 less than the OEM BT56- I've heard good things about the Michelins. Trying to decide whether to replace only the rear with the BT56 or spring for a set of Michelins.

Opinions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-25-2007, 06:38 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Which bike is the tire for? I thought you were selling the 919? for sale.

post #3 of 29 Old 06-25-2007, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Which bike is the tire for? I thought you were selling the 919? for sale.

It's for the 919. I had a buyer but I couldn't bring myself to sell it!

post #4 of 29 Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Michelin Pilot Roads would be a good choice. If you decide to go with the Pilot Power be sure to read this.

post #5 of 29 Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

BT56 = 1955
Pilot = 2007

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #6 of 29 Old 06-25-2007, 08:00 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Shaun=ghei

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #7 of 29 Old 06-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Milites Gregarius

Pilot Powers are great. I had one of the recall ones and I rode the sides flat and still got a new tire.

post #8 of 29 Old 06-26-2007, 05:45 PM

I've had awesome performance out of my Conti Road Attacks. Couldn't beat the price with a stick!

post #9 of 29 Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

I agree on the Conti Road Attacks, first thing I did when I bought my bike was replace worn OEM Michelins with the Contis, what a difference! They not only handle incredibly well, they also made a major difference in the ride, smoothing out bumps that were jarring with the Michelins. Cool tread and sidewall design too.

post #10 of 29 Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

This review swayed me to buy the Contis, haven't regretted it....

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews...oad-attack.php

post #11 of 29 Old 06-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Enormous member

Don't mix tire brands. Get the pilot powers, you'll like 'em.

post #12 of 29 Old 07-01-2007, 07:43 AM

I just put a Pilot Road in the rear (bastard Road 2 is out in Europe to rave reviews, but won't be here till year's end) and am very happy with it. I do 50 miles commuting everyday, and after a day's easy break in, its very confident feeling, even through a half dozen close calls against holiday weekend cagers. The theme for the last few days was "lane change on top of me".

post #13 of 29 Old 07-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

What's the difference between the Pilot Road and Pilot Power?

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #14 of 29 Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 AM
Tirone

I just put a Pilot road on the front. Now I'm getting a howling, whooshing niose ( think blowing across the top of a bottle). It's at 36 psi and all the mounting hardware seem tight. I did notice that the fender is quite flexible so maye it's some sort of harmonic vibration between the tire and fender caused by the tires tread pattern. Anyone have this noise? If I could explain it I could ignore it.

post #15 of 29 Old 07-03-2007, 05:45 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post

The Pilot Power was designed as a track day tire originally. They targeted the sportbike crowd that goes out chasing twisties, and the occassional trackday. I think it has since morphed into more of a street tire with the 2CT out now. I think Michelin now has a dual compound touring tire as well. Think pilot road in the center, and pilot power on the outer edges.

From the Michelin site for the Pilot Power:
Quote:
You don’t have to be world champion to get your hands on Michelin MotoGP tire technology. The Pilot Power uses synthetic rubber components that were originally developed for MotoGP racing, minimizing warm-up time and optimizing traction for acceleration and braking. Its excellent feedback at the limit make it an ideal for extreme road riding and track days.
Pilot Road(2):

Quote:
Pilot Road² : the new 2 compound Technology tire.
The best balance tire.
Quote:
The ideal balance Independent tests confirm the Pilot Road 2 offers better wet grip and longer tread life than any of its competitors. How did Michelin incorporate these two contradictory traits in one tyre? MotoGP-derived 2CT technology makes it possible, using two distinct rubber compounds to achieve what was once thought impossible.
Original Pilot Road:

Quote:
Heat, rain, cold – in virtually any conditions, the Michelin Pilot Road and its 100% silica-charged tread compound won’t let weather get in the way of your ride. The front tire’s rounded profile offers progressive steering response, and the advanced casing design tackles rough roads easily. The Michelin Pilot Road strikes the ideal balance between tread life and performance, while affording an exceptional quality/price ratio. It’s the ideal tire for your Fazer, Bandit or VFR.

post #16 of 29 Old 07-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Or, you could try this one and report back your results.

[youtube]zvS18Fgb9HU[/youtube]

post #17 of 29 Old 07-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Great info -- thank you, Ridge!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #18 of 29 Old 07-03-2007, 09:13 AM

My hubby rides a GSX-R750 and was a huge fan of PPs until he ran across a sweet deal on a set of Pirelli Diablos.

He said with the PP, he had a lot of tire dust/powder. He has had the Diablos for around a month and has about 800 miles on them. He likes the grip and they don't seem to wear as easily as the PPs. He runs The Gap a lot and thinks he may now be a Pirelli fan.

That's just my $.02 worth. I hope it helps some!

post #19 of 29 Old 07-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-twin lady View Post
My hubby rides a GSX-R750 and was a huge fan of PPs until he ran across a sweet deal on a set of Pirelli Diablos.

He said with the PP, he had a lot of tire dust/powder. He has had the Diablos for around a month and has about 800 miles on them. He likes the grip and they don't seem to wear as easily as the PPs. He runs The Gap a lot and thinks he may now be a Pirelli fan.

That's just my $.02 worth. I hope it helps some!
whats tire dust/powder?

5pm today I just finised my 6th track day with my PP.(on a YZF- R6) I think I may be able to get one more day or two from them. I love them, they stick, wear well and have excelent feedback. I made the change from bridgestones and may not ever go back. I need to get some for the 919, which I dont even ride-40 miles this year . I have just about gave up street riding the last 2 years.

post #20 of 29 Old 07-04-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdavidson View Post
whats tire dust/powder?

5pm today I just finised my Th track day with my PP.(on a YZF- R6) I think I may be able to get one more day or two from them. I love them, they stick, wear well and have excelent feedback. I made the change from bridgestones and may not ever go back. I need to get some for the 919, which I dont even ride-40 miles this year . I have just about gave up street riding the last 2 years.
It is what is left over from the tire. It just basically left over tire debris. When you are riding The Hill, your tires don't heat to track level heating (i.e. balling up) and the powder is the result in his case. Also another reason thing withthe PPs, they wouldn't last a month and a half. He said he finds the powder on his swing arm. He said he could scoop it up and blow it out of his palm. I guess in the end, find what works best for your riding on go with it, ya now?

He liked the PPs, but sice he found the good deal on the Diablos, he thinks he'll run them for a while. There still is some dust, but not as bad with the Diablos, he said. He found them at Cylce Gear for $160 plus tax in Knoxville.

post #21 of 29 Old 07-04-2007, 08:12 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I'd buy Michelins because I like Bib.

post #22 of 29 Old 07-04-2007, 08:28 AM

Like VTL was saying, I have alway been a Power fan. They grip great and when they break loose they hop ever so slightly to give you warning. I did recently get the Diablos, and really like them alot. While the Powers are a great tire, I could wear out a set in about six weeks. Also, while the Powers give very predictably, their threshold of give seem lower than that of the the Diablos. The Diablos hold better than the PP's IMO, and when they give it is very smooth and forgiving. Also I have enough miles on the Diablos that if they were PP's they would be 3/4's wore. The Diablos are 3/4 new still. Either is a great tire, and my suggestion is to try them both and see what you like better.

post #23 of 29 Old 07-04-2007, 08:30 AM

Also, you will need to do some suspension tweaks going from the Bridgestone to either of these tires. You will love either compared to the Tombstones!!!

post #24 of 29 Old 07-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-twin lady View Post
It is what is left over from the tire. It just basically left over tire debris. When you are riding The Hill, your tires don't heat to track level heating (i.e. balling up) and the powder is the result in his case. Also another reason thing withthe PPs, they wouldn't last a month and a half. He said he finds the powder on his swing arm. He said he could scoop it up and blow it out of his palm. I guess in the end, find what works best for your riding on go with it, ya now?

He liked the PPs, but sice he found the good deal on the Diablos, he thinks he'll run them for a while. There still is some dust, but not as bad with the Diablos, he said. He found them at Cylce Gear for $160 plus tax in Knoxville.
hum I never noticed the powder but of course I have never rode them on the street.

by the way where is cycle gear in knoxville? I was just down there last month. I used to live in Maryville at one time. and lived off papermill in Knoxville. I'll be back down that way soon to visit again

post #25 of 29 Old 07-04-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdavidson View Post
hum I never noticed the powder but of course I have never rode them on the street.

by the way where is cycle gear in knoxville? I was just down there last month. I used to live in Maryville at one time. and lived off papermill in Knoxville. I'll be back down that way soon to visit again

The Cycle Gear is relatively new really. It's located right off Cedar Bluff and North Peters Road.

post #26 of 29 Old 07-05-2007, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
The Pilot Road is more of a street tire designed for longer mileage.

The Pilot Power is a street/trackday tire.

The Pilot Power 2CT is a Pilot Power that has a softer compound on the sides. In theory this would equate to more even wear, and better traction when you are in the twisties. The center of the tire is the same compound as the Power. This is a fantastic tire if you like to tear up twisties.

I just put on my second set of 2CTs. I got 5500 miles out of the rear, which is fine with me. Considering I like the extra traction in the twisties.

post #27 of 29 Old 10-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Iron Buffalo

Look into the Dunlop RoadSmarts. They are reviewed better than the Pilot Powers in wet/dry by many. I've got them on my bike and they are holding up very well with outstanding performance. Oh, and they were $130 less than the Pilot Powers.

"Show up, shut up, and keep up." - My Grandpa
post #28 of 29 Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Sike

I'm going with Pirelli Rosso's some time this winter. I'm about to put my third set of Pirelli DCIII's on my ZX10, because I haven't found anything better for it (after a set of recalled PP 2CT's, that I didn't like as much). I've had great luck with Pirelli. The Rosso's are about $100 less per set than the DCIII's, last longer, and probably have more than enought stick for the 919.

post #29 of 29 Old 10-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I like yellow bikes

Thumbs up Big thumbs up for Pilot Powers

I should say that until I got my current R1 in 2006 I've never found a Michelin I've liked.

I was disappointed when I saw that my R1 had Pilot Powers fitted.

However, I'm now converted.

I cannot find a bad thing to say about their performance in dry or wet (including monsoon-like) conditions. They are totally neutral in all circumstances and give good feedback. And I've now done about 4400 miles on the bike and won't need to replace the back tyre for a while yet, probably around 5000. It has squared off a bit visually, but isn't noticeably affecting its performance yet. I've never had more than about 3000 out of back tyres on previous R1s I've owned, so it's not just that I'm gentle with it.

And then my 2008 Hornet 600 came with them too. I wondered whether I'd like them as much on a more "standard" bike, but I do! Again, I really can't find anything not to like.

Janet the jet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode