Rep-sol is the Best-yol.**OLD THREAD, read from 1st post*** - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Rep-sol is the Best-yol.**OLD THREAD, read from 1st post***

Ok, I swapped out for the Repsol full synthetic 15w race oil a few weeks ago. I know I should wait till after a second oil change before giving it a full assessment, but I just couldn't wait any longer and that's what this site is about anyway - sharing, like one big happy family. Ok, whatever.

First Impression: "Like Buttah!" That is the only way I can really describe it. I don't know how much is just placebo but I love this sh#$! I didn't think changing oil could possibly make a difference, but IT DOES! The shifts are just plain buttery smooth. I never miss a shift no matter how fast I am ripping throught the gears. And I can't stop ripping through them. Yes, I have to say that Betty loves her knew oil. I will never go back. Thanks LDH for the hookup. BTW, better be good cause it aint cheap!

Lasting Impressions: You'll just have to wait till I do it again, now won't ya? Won't be long. I'll be changing it as soon as I get back from the Gap. Can't see it being much different though. Better?...I wonder...can it be...?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 06:45 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quick question, what oil was in the motor before you switched?

post #3 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Honda Red Cap.

post #4 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142
Quick question, what oil was in the motor before you switched?
Crap, I'm too late. I was going to say old.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Not knocking Repsol, it is a excellent oil. I think you would have found similar results with any full synthetic. I use Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic, cost around $14/gal. at W-Mart.

post #6 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Oh, I am sure you would get improvements from any quality synthetic. Just giving my experience with this stuff. Oil is oil. I have just never seen that much improvement switching to synth before is all. Besides, it's clear. You can't mess with clear...lol!

post #7 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 09:05 AM

I have to back up blacky on this one. I've used MANY different oils including car oils ( ). I used the Repsol 4T 10w-40 semi-synthetic and it definitely ranks as one of the best oils I have tried.

post #8 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Love Machine

Honda red cap work fine for me....never looked into synthetic.....
I change my oil ever 3k. 25k on the bike and still going strong....

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
post #9 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 09:28 AM

If you ever do try a good semi-synthetic or a full synthetic oil you won't go back to regular dyno oil. It makes a noticable difference in the tranny when shifting just for starters.

post #10 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 04:18 PM

After how many miles it's ok to switch to synth? (specifically on the 919)
I just don't want to feed synth to the motor too early in his life..

post #11 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 04:21 PM

Urban legend. Whenever you want. As often as you want. You can switch back if you want. It doesn't foam in your engine. Oh wait. That's about car oil. It won't make your clutch slip. Unless it has too much friction modifiers like Molybdenum.

post #12 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Most people who wait want to stay dyno (dino?). I think after the first oil change, but there are more people experienced with it than me. You can get all kind of answers on oil, like switch NOW.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #13 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 04:25 PM

However, I would run the first 100 miles with the oil that you have from the factory. Then change it. Just get through whatever break-in period your manufacturer recommends.

post #14 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 05:16 PM

Mike any problems with that Rotella full synth? I was thinking of going to it in the FZ next oil change but am afraid it might give me clutch problems. I'm not sure why I'm being paranoid about it but I am.

post #15 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by wArDoG
Mike any problems with that Rotella full synth? I was thinking of going to it in the FZ next oil change but am afraid it might give me clutch problems. I'm not sure why I'm being paranoid about it but I am.
I've been using this syn. since the early days of my R6. Rotella full syn. does not have that energy conserve. logo. It was/is never a problem on the clutch.

post #16 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Some people have actually experienced rougher shifts in different bikes with the different oils. Any other FZers using it? I was contemplating giving the amsoil a shot in the 9 until I heard a couple people talking about clutch slip. Than again my roomate runs it in his VTX and he loves it. I tell you this though, if money isn't a big issue for the oil, you will not be disappointed in repsols stuff. I was amazed at the difference. Plus you get a free t-shirt. Who doesn't love free t-shirts. Alot of the guys on the R6messagenet have been using it and it seems to be spreading.

post #17 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 05:28 PM

I'm going to have to make the move. A few years back I remember hearing a couple of guys on the board talking about clutch slip but none recently. Maybe that's why I'm a bit paranoid about it. Got it in the back of my head that it's a problem. I never tried the amsoil but from what I've heard the rotella is pretty cheap and if it works well...

post #18 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I don't think you can do any real damage no matter what. Give it a shot. If you don't like it, just change it again. Let us know how it goes.

post #19 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 05:34 PM

Can you go back to semi from full? I have to admit. I'm pretty oil ignorant.

post #20 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

I am pretty sure you can go back, but I may be corrected on that. I don't think it is a problem. Is Rotella semi or are you referring to the semi repsol? I went straight to full synth and I will never go back. I don't think it is nearly as touchy as many people make it out to be. Not with modern engines and their increased heat and stress tolerance. Just make sure there is oil and it is clean. Synthetic will withstand higher temps and it is more consistent.

post #21 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 06:29 PM

I was talking Rotella not Repsol. There was a thread on the FZ1OA about Rotella and how it was a good cheap oil. I've been using a semi but am tired of paying 30 beans a change for oil with a picture of a motorcycle on it.

post #22 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

I hear that. If that is the case, stay the hell away from repsol. $30 is cheap! Do whatever makes you happy. Like I said, I don't think you can really mess anything up. Try the amsoil, it isn't too expensive. I think I got it for about $5/qt. Just don't use car oil aka energy conserving. I run the piss out of my bike. The least I can do is hight test and expensive oil. At least that helps ME sleep at night. Have you ever heard of anyone blowing an engine because they switched brands? Yeah, me neither. Mike said he has been using the repsol since like 1925 or something so give it a shot. I wouldn't buy it at wal-mart though, but that is a different discussion and no one wants to hear about that one!

post #23 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 06:41 PM

Yeah, once I'm done with my current stock of semi I'm going to the Rotella full. Thanks

post #24 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

No prob, I would be curious to see what you think. good luck

post #25 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 07:18 PM

It won't be until the next change as I still have 2 gals of semi in the garage.

post #26 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 07:30 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142
Not knocking Repsol, it is a excellent oil. I think you would have found similar results with any full synthetic. I use Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic, cost around $14/gal. at W-Mart.

Nope you are so wrong on this one...

I usually don't get involved in ANY type of DOT (dreaded oil thread), but I will throw in my .02 here.

I'm in a very fortunate position in that I can try just about ANY oil available to the public for free. I've used all the big names & they are all pretty much the same (Castrol, Motul 5100, 3000, Mobil1, Amsoil, Royal Purple etc...). I used to use the Mobil1 Racing 4T religiously & paid big bucks for it, but it is really no better than most any other "premium" synthetic & the Mobil 1 MX4T that is so popular & can be bought at any auto parts store is just not that great at all compared to the other top of the line oils. In fact many owners will tell you that they have had clutch slippage problems with that stuff in high horsepower applications.

I've recently switched to the Repsol Full Synthetic & there is nothing else like it. The stuff is in a league of its own in terms of transmission & clutch engagement. It smoothes out the tranny & I have yet to have any type of clutch slippage problem on any of the bikes I have used it in including a 330HP ZX-12R Turbo.

You will notice a difference immediately in how the transmission performs, but the second time you change the oil is when it really sinks in. I know it sounds like a sales pitch, but those of you that know me also know I am a very straight shooter & if I say something works it does. I don't subscribe to the placebo effect of anything & do lots of thorough testing before I open my mouth. Unfortunately it is very difficulty to quantify oil results so you'll just have to trust me when I tell you the Repsol oil rocks!

post #27 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I knew this was coming!

I bought the stuff on LDH's recommendation and it really does kick ass!

BTW, LDH, I can't wait to see what it does when I change it next.

post #28 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

I don't doubt your findings, that is why I said "similar." In my case there was a noticeable improvement in transmission engagement when Rotella full syn. was used. Next oil change I will try the Repsol and see if there is any further improvement.
BTW: Where does one buy Repsol?

post #29 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

LDH sent gave me the email of the distributor. I warn you not to try it. You are going to like it and it is too god damned expensive. I am trying to find it. LDH will get it to you or it is on the Hornet's Nest oil thread. I'll keep searching. In the meantime, he may have it posted up by then.

post #30 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

BTW, that was to get the special Hornet's Nest pricing. Otherwise, some honda dealers have it.

post #31 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 07:56 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I got it from RC90 (used to do all the group buys for us on Motorush) & Dan Kyle has starting stocking it too now as well as lots of dealers across the country. I bought a bunch of the 4 liter jugs on a group buy pricing, but I don't know the normal retail on it currently.

post #32 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter
I got it from RC90 (used to do all the group buys for us on Motorush) & Dan Kyle has starting stocking it too now as well as lots of dealers across the country. I bought a bunch of the 4 liter jugs on a group buy pricing, but I don't know the normal retail on it currently.
Cool... Maybe RC90 can hook us up here on a GB.

post #33 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Here it is: [email protected]. If you email him and tell him that you were sent by Mike Wheeler from the Hornet's Nest, he will take care of you. Nice guy, I talked to him on the phone a few times.

post #34 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

GB would be sweet! I'm in for a few for sure.

post #35 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 08:42 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I was just talking with him earlier today about some group buy stuff. Somebody shoot him an e-mail with a link to this thread

post #36 of 92 Old 05-26-2006, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Hey LDH, while I've got your attention, lemme ask a question. My rommate has a vtx1800 and he is jealous of my shiny blue repsol cans and clear oil. He wanted to know if you would suggest using it in his considering it is a shaft drive. He runs amsoil now.

I will email him this link right now, but first I need to know how to link this thread. Do I just copy the url above into the email? Excuse the ignorance.

post #37 of 92 Old 05-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Honda Addict

I'd be in for a group buy on some Repsol. Sent Daniel the link also.

BTW, blackbetty -not LDH here but to create a link, just go up to the address line at the top of your browser window and copy the entire line of text. Then, when you go to compose your email (or thread response) just paste it on the line where want to insert it. Wallah! You have a link. It will change color by default to show it's a link.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #38 of 92 Old 05-28-2006, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Alright, I thought so, didn't know if there was a link button I was missing or something. Thanks razor.

post #39 of 92 Old 05-28-2006, 09:19 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

As long as the motor & transmission is completely broke-in I would & will be using Repsol Full Synthetic 15W-50 in every bike I own.

post #40 of 92 Old 05-28-2006, 09:36 AM

I'm in for a group buy. I would love to get my hands on some more Repsol 4T 10w-40. My local dealership here (Barney's) stopped carrying it about 3-4 months ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode