Renthal UL Success! - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-20-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Philanthropist
 
Dave W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 742
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Renthal UL Success!

I just got off a test ride to make sure everything was o.k. for me to take the bike to work in the morning.

The install was not bad, just followed all the advice posted in the threads here. I used Renthal bar ends as well.

I did drill the holes, and I was pretty meticulous about their location, so it took a little while but it all went back together just fine. I took 1/2 inch off each bar before installing them as well. The Ultra-Lows are a close fit to the tank with the controls but there is sufficient clearance so I'm really pleased overall.

I can't believe how BAD the stock bars are! I am really happy I did this instead of just living with the buzzy handlebars it comes with.

Dave W. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 07-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Hastatus Posterior
 
Farab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,454
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post
I just got off a test ride to make sure everything was o.k. for me to take the bike to work in the morning.

The install was not bad, just followed all the advice posted in the threads here. I used Renthal bar ends as well.

I did drill the holes, and I was pretty meticulous about their location, so it took a little while but it all went back together just fine. I took 1/2 inch off each bar before installing them as well. The Ultra-Lows are a close fit to the tank with the controls but there is sufficient clearance so I'm really pleased overall.

I can't believe how BAD the stock bars are! I am really happy I did this instead of just living with the buzzy handlebars it comes with.
The OEM bars are shocking, aren't they? Not the buzzyness for me, but the fact that they are too high and ridiculously narrow for a naked.

Farab is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
hmm... tellin me that the stock bars are buzzy? i have always through they were pretty good in the buzz department.... hmm to buy new bars!?!?!?!

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Pilus Posterior
 
AllanB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,101
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 1
 
hmm - I found the stockers pretty much buzz free (due to the heavy bar weights).

I had to add bar weights (now replaced with bar end mirrors which weigh them down) to my Ultra Lows as I found without them they did buzz. With a bit of weight on the end they are super smooth.


And yes - just how GAY was the Honda 919 handlebar designer - seezzz what a weird bend he designed.

AllanB is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
The Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,762
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

UL's are very much superior to the goofy stock bars IMHO... I thought my stock bars were pretty buzzy, my throttle hand would frequently go to sleep on a medium/long ride. This was ok if I was trying to give myself the "stranger", but not so much otherwise.

As to being too narrow, I like the wide stance of the UL's...mine haven't been trimmed...but sometimes I would like narrower bars. ymmv







.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
The Shadow is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Carp Killer
 
Wallybanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 285
Rep Power: 1
 
What's the problem with the UL's? Tank interference? What did you have to do to get em on?

Wallybanger is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Gets censored
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 1,839
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
This was ok if I was trying to give myself the "stranger",



.
LMFOA! I love it...

brian is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 02:56 AM
h8tenhogs
 
dukeriley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: north tonawanda ny
Posts: 215
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
UL's are very much superior to the goofy stock bars IMHO... I thought my stock bars were pretty buzzy, my throttle hand would frequently go to sleep on a medium/long ride. This was ok if I was trying to give myself the "stranger", but not so much otherwise.

As to being too narrow, I like the wide stance of the UL's...mine haven't been trimmed...but sometimes I would like narrower bars. ymmv







.
stranger danger

dukeriley is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 02:57 AM
`
 
zaq123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: here n' there
Posts: 3,842
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallybanger View Post
What's the problem with the UL's? Tank interference? What did you have to do to get em on?
no problems or any interference, fit right in

zaq123 is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 09:44 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
The Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,762
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Since I installed my Renthal's last year, I immediately noticed that I liked the UL's flatter pull-back angle on the grips. I thought that the pull-back on the stock bars put my wrists at kind of an unnatural angle. the UL's are much more comfortable that way. As far as the height and narrowness of the stock bars, that never bothered me.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
The Shadow is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 12:30 PM
919 aka Hornet 900
 
Mr T81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 998
Rep Power: 1
 
how much wider are the UL compare to stock?? I want to get wider bars, is there some kind of chart with measurements on the Renthal website??

Mr T81 is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 83
Rep Power: 1
 
Pics? Price? Let us know when you out more miles on 'em...

det5lonewolf is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 PM
`
 
zaq123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: here n' there
Posts: 3,842
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T81 View Post
how much wider are the UL compare to stock?? I want to get wider bars, is there some kind of chart with measurements on the Renthal website??
They are pretty wide. Mine have stock barends fitted




zaq123 is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 PM
'evening Bruce
 
agitator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 90
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T81 View Post
how much wider are the UL compare to stock?? I want to get wider bars, is there some kind of chart with measurements on the Renthal website??

If you scroll up a little and click onto "Helpful Topics for 919 owners:" by MisterMike, https://wristtwisters.com/showthread.php?t=1209 you'll come across this list.

Here is a list of various handlebars and their dimensions in millimeters. You can choose which one would suit your riding style. The Renthal Ultra lows and Coerce are popular choices. Another fine choice is Rizoma.

--------------------Width mm--------Rise mm-----Pullback mm

Stock 919-----------------------660--------102------190
Coerce---------------------------690-------- 30------100
Renthal Ultra lows----------725--------75--------95
Renthal Streetfighter------755------100--------80
Renthal Low------------------730------105--------125
Renthal Medium-------------725------115--------105
Renthal High-------------------710------120--------105
AFAM superbike-------------730--------80--------80
LSL Sport Tourer------------680--------45------110
LSL superbike lows--------740--------50------140
LSL superbike----------------760--------70------150
Suburban Machienry------685--------50------120
Rizoma Conical or Std.---720------- 75------105


I've found the original too tall for my liking, felt like I was on a trail bike. Very happy with the Renthal UL's.

agitator is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 04:11 PM
919 aka Hornet 900
 
Mr T81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 998
Rep Power: 1
 
Thanks for the info, lots of bars I can choose from.

Mr T81 is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 04:24 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,802
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by agitator View Post
If you scroll up a little and click onto "Helpful Topics for 919 owners:" by MisterMike, https://wristtwisters.com/showthread.php?t=1209 you'll come across this list.

Here is a list of various handlebars and their dimensions in millimeters. You can choose which one would suit your riding style. The Renthal Ultra lows and Coerce are popular choices. Another fine choice is Rizoma.

--------------------Width mm--------Rise mm-----Pullback mm

Stock 919-----------------------660--------102------190
Coerce---------------------------690-------- 30------100
Renthal Ultra lows----------725--------75--------95
Renthal Streetfighter------755------100--------80
Renthal Low------------------730------105--------125
Renthal Medium-------------725------115--------105
Renthal High-------------------710------120--------105
AFAM superbike-------------730--------80--------80
LSL Sport Tourer------------680--------45------110
LSL superbike lows--------740--------50------140
LSL superbike----------------760--------70------150
Suburban Machienry------685--------50------120
Rizoma Conical or Std.---720------- 75------105


I've found the original too tall for my liking, felt like I was on a trail bike. Very happy with the Renthal UL's.
In the most absolute of terms, the low rise Coerce do not properly fit a 919.
I have two pairs that can't properly be used to prove it :
1
The centre mounting section is a touch too narrow, so for proper fitment one must file the caps where the upward bend has already begun. ( I could have lived with this but 2 belwo finished it off for me.)
2
If the bars are properly positioned, they only leave about 1/2 inch between the tank and the bar, and that's before the instrument pods are on.
So, with the bars properly rotated in the clamps, when the pods are on they will be into the gas tank before full lock.
I looked at doing steering lock reduction, but realized that way too much steering head rotation range would be sacrificed.

It's really too bad, they are works of art and with really nice bends and dimensions.
I ended up with Renthal ULs and am satisfied with them.

There are some people running the low Coerce on 919s, at least one such rider has commented on 2 above in the past. His solution was to rotate the bars forward, but he never did say if he managed to get full lock without the pods hitting tank before full lock, and I'll bet he didn't.

mcromo44 is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 516
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 1
 
IMO the Ul's are superior in position to the stockers. But they still buzz for me though I have smaller/lighter renthal bar ends on them.

Price/budget was probably the main factor why the stockers are the way they are in terms of weight, width and bend. I'm sure the designers knew better...

honda ng gingsa is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 PM
blur
 
drewvir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deptford,NJ
Posts: 1,372
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Since I installed my Renthal's last year, I immediately noticed that I liked the UL's flatter pull-back angle on the grips. I thought that the pull-back on the stock bars put my wrists at kind of an unnatural angle. the UL's are much more comfortable that way. As far as the height and narrowness of the stock bars, that never bothered me.
+1

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
drewvir is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Guy Nicholas
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Santa Rosa, CA.
Posts: 22
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post
I used Renthal bar ends as well.

I can't believe how BAD the stock bars are! I am really happy I did this instead of just living with the buzzy handlebars it comes with.
When I first mounted the Renthals I was using the stock bar ends. I too was pleased with the lack of the tingles when I got done riding. I recently swapped the stock ends for the lighter weight Aluminum Renthals, and I notice that I am back to tingly hands. Not as bad as they were with the original setup, but after and hour and a half ride I do notice it.

Later, Guy

nicholas is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 AM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,802
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
When I first mounted the Renthals I was using the stock bar ends. I too was pleased with the lack of the tingles when I got done riding. I recently swapped the stock ends for the lighter weight Aluminum Renthals, and I notice that I am back to tingly hands. Not as bad as they were with the original setup, but after and hour and a half ride I do notice it.

Later, Guy
I'm using LSL steel bar ends with my Renthal ULs, sized to fit the smaller bore of the Renthals.
No tingles.

mcromo44 is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Carp Killer
 
Wallybanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 285
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
no problems or any interference, fit right in
Sick... they are gonna replace the steel moto bars I have on there now.

Wallybanger is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome