Renthal UL bars. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 11-01-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Renthal UL bars.

Can Someone please point me to a step by step guide on how to install renthall UL's on 919. How much to cut, and do I really need new mirrors?

TIA,
- Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-01-2010, 01:49 PM
McTavish

You do not need to cut the bars.

If you are using the stock controls, you do not need new mirrors, as how they mount has zero to do with the bars.

The real issue is the locating pins that your control pods have.
A
If you keep them, you need to very carefully locate holes to be drilled in the bars.
B
If you grind off the pins, the pods will be loose, and be it tape on the bars, use of adhesive, whatever, you will have to do something to keep the pods from turning. The throttle side is the worst. If you grind off the pins and don't do something about the slip fit pods, twisting the throttle = twisting the pod ! Bitter first hand experience speaking. I used old school white cloth medical tape on the bars, it works great.
Oh, and if you grind off the pins, try to use some kind of wrap or taping to block off the switches, otherwise all that nicely ground aluminum will find it's way inside the switches. Again, bitter experience speaking - but at least I realized it before reassembly and cleaned as best I could.

post #3 of 13 Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Former 919er

I'm still not clear if tank clearance is a problem with these. I notice that most pics show the bars somewhat twisted up. It almost looks like the tips of the grips are the highest point of the bars. Is this solely to eliminate/reduce tank clearance problems or do folks like them like that.

I am pretty particular about orientation of the bars from my MX days (always had the bars rolled back just enough that the tips were down slightly from parallel) and I think that I wouldn't be comfortable with something different. Picky, picky...

post #4 of 13 Old 11-01-2010, 03:33 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
I'm still not clear if tank clearance is a problem with these. I notice that most pics show the bars somewhat twisted up. It almost looks like the tips of the grips are the highest point of the bars. Is this solely to eliminate/reduce tank clearance problems or do folks like them like that.

I am pretty particular about orientation of the bars from my MX days (always had the bars rolled back just enough that the tips were down slightly from parallel) and I think that I wouldn't be comfortable with something different. Picky, picky...
I have my ULs where I want them, and did not have to roll them forward like you do with the Coerce bars.
I have full steering lock and about 5/8 gap from pod to tank at full lock.

post #5 of 13 Old 11-01-2010, 03:56 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I have my ULs where I want them, and did not have to roll them forward like you do with the Coerce bars.
I have full steering lock and about 5/8 gap from pod to tank at full lock.
I forgot to add in :

The Renthals have a 5 degree band of marked rotational reference lines.
I have mine set up with that 5 degree wide band centred between the clamp bolt centrelines, if that helps. In other words, the 2.5 degree mark is on the centreline between the clamp bolts.

post #6 of 13 Old 11-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Princeps Prior

Have ULs......I left mine the standard width.... No problems with tank clearance.

post #7 of 13 Old 11-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Former 919er

Thanks guys. Something to add to the santa list!

post #8 of 13 Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
Thanks guys. Something to add to the santa list!
Santa can get them from Tony Blue at Blue Streak Racing in Ontario, for less than anyone can source from the USA and bring in on their own, and no one carries them in Canada.

post #9 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Cornicen

I got a pretty good deal thru Amazon if that's a route you wanna take.

post #10 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I got a really good deal from someone on this forum.

post #11 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Former 919er

Quote:
Santa can get them from Tony Blue at Blue Streak Racing in Ontario, for less than anyone can source from the USA and bring in on their own, and no one carries them in Canada.
Thanks. I will check it out and pass it on to Santa. She also needs to get me a PR2 for the front, a rain suit and a new pair of boots. I better keep being a good boy!

post #12 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

As stated, you don't have to cut the bars, but they are a lot wider than stock. I cut a couple inches off mine and they are still wider. I actually find myself wanting to shorten them more. All your preference however.

MEASURE TWICE OR THREE TIMES, DRILL ONCE!!!

There are two sets of holes in my bars for the control pods that can attest to the fact that even measuring 4 times you can still F it up

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #13 of 13 Old 11-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Tesserarius

I got the mids and I love em, I dident cut anything

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode