Recommended Tires for the 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 11-14-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Recommended Tires for the 919

All,

I have a 2003 919 bought used. Came with Battlax. However, as a novice rider I am doing a lot of reading. I've noticed you can't read three paragraphs of anything written by Keith Code without the word "Dunlop" showing up in it. Can anyone confirm that Dunlops are drastically better than the stock Battlax tires?

My current skill level is "Beginner" though I am continually pushing myself to grow into the 919. I also use this for my daily commute (approx. 120 miles/week).

Good Lord, this machine is frickin' fantastic.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-14-2008, 07:43 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Welcome to the site, Nesty.

Yeah, if you do a school day with them you get a discount on 2 sets of dunlop tires at $200 a set with a 180 or 190 rear.

No thanks.

It's called sponsorship.

EDIT: Oh, that's $200 dropped shipped from Dunlop; no tax or shipping charge.
$240 for DOT race.

post #3 of 31 Old 11-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

welcome to the hive! you are correct in the fact that the 9er is a great ride!!!

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #4 of 31 Old 11-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Sike

Your original question is recommended tires, so I'm going with that instead of the dunlop question. I have had the best luck with Pirelli's, so I just ordered Rosso's for my 919. However, a lot of people want better mileage than Pirelli's tend to give. I had Conti Road Attacks and they are supposed to give great mileage. I can say they performed very, very well (I didn't get to test the mileage, long story). I'm sure others will have many opinions on this topic. My main argument will always be that tires aren't the place to save money.

Good Luck, Steve

post #5 of 31 Old 11-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Here we go again. You will get lots of recommendations, and as most tires are pretty good nowadays the decision boils down to how you intend to use your 919 past commuting, and matching intended use, wear, and general manners. Since the only brand I have run for the last 20 years is Michelin ... well ... I recommend the Pilot Road 2CT's in the specified sizes. Their longevity is exceptional: the rear I fitted 13,500 miles ago is just due replacement, and the front is looking like 20,000 miles is not out of the question. Add to that the fact that the center of the rear tire still has about 1.8 to 2mm tread depth, but the sides are down to slicks and still sticking like glue in the twisties. Even in it's present condition it works very well in the wet (don't ask me how!).

They are presently close to the most expensive tires out there, but given the wear rate it works out to 1.4 cents a mile for the rear and 0.8 cents a mile for the front -- the Dunlops are just over twice that (3 cents rear and 1.72 cents front) from information I've gleaned from this and other sites.

Obviously it's up to you, but in my opinion the combination of cornering traction, wear, predictability, and wet manners make Michelin the only choice.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #6 of 31 Old 11-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I'm with rob on this one... Running michelin pilot powers.. Decent life and complete confidence when pegs are scraping in the curves.. And for the record the bt56 battlax's are good for making a fire.. Total shiiit.. Once again my humble opinion

post #7 of 31 Old 11-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
I recommend the Pilot Road 2CT's in the specified sizes. Rob
Those are the Michelin's that I did have a very good experience with. Up here in Seattle we get a bit of rain, and those performed exceptionally well in the rain. I just haven't gone back to Michelin sportbike tires since being jerked around on the recall 2 summers ago. Hopefully I'll get to report out on the Rosso's sooner than later.

post #8 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 01:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Nesty it all comes down t what you are wanting the tires for. I had Pirellis Strada on the rear and got 8500 miles out of it and was happy. I planned to move on to a Pirelli Rosso front and rear, but after Robs reports I gave the Road 2ct a try. I currently have a Rosso front and a Road 2 on the rear. I am quiet impressed with the road 2 and it is stickier than the strada as well as a high life span.

Some people say stickier is better and others believe that a decent tire is good enough. I have no complaints with my road 2 and frequently ride with people with DOT tires and keep up just fine. Get whatever you are most comfortable with. You can get a Road 2 for 191 after shipping.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #9 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 05:05 AM

Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Here we go again. You will get lots of recommendations, and as most tires are pretty good nowadays the decision boils down to how you intend to use your 919 past commuting, and matching intended use, wear, and general manners. Since the only brand I have run for the last 20 years is Michelin ... well ... I recommend the Pilot Road 2CT's in the specified sizes. Their longevity is exceptional: the rear I fitted 13,500 miles ago is just due replacement, and the front is looking like 20,000 miles is not out of the question. Add to that the fact that the center of the rear tire still has about 1.8 to 2mm tread depth, but the sides are down to slicks and still sticking like glue in the twisties. Even in it's present condition it works very well in the wet (don't ask me how!).

They are presently close to the most expensive tires out there, but given the wear rate it works out to 1.4 cents a mile for the rear and 0.8 cents a mile for the front -- the Dunlops are just over twice that (3 cents rear and 1.72 cents front) from information I've gleaned from this and other sites.

Obviously it's up to you, but in my opinion the combination of cornering traction, wear, predictability, and wet manners make Michelin the only choice.

Rob
Please share with us; what type of riding do you do? I have been riding since 1980 and have used just about every brand of tire out there and the best mileage I have ever gotten from any rear tire is 6,300 miles on a Honda 400. I ride mostly sport/sport touring bikes and have grown out of the WFO mentallity. I have heard of Michelin tires getting great mileage on touring bikes but 13,000 (+) out of a rear on a performance bike is awesome. Thanks, John

post #10 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 05:17 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I'm ready to order a new set for my 919 and am debating between the Pilot Powers and the Pilot Road 2s. Are the Road 2 tires just a Pilot Road compound in the middle and a Pilot Power compound on the sides? If so, then i'll probably go that route. I have about 8,000 miles on my Pilot Powers, but am finding that with the level of commuting I do (180 miles a week) it is wearing a pretty good flat spot in the center.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #11 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 05:34 AM
I had a H-D

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I have a set of Pilot Powers with 4k on them, and the front is cupping, and makes for a rough ride. What causes this? I have a set of Pilot Road 2 on the way.

post #12 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

All, thank you so much for the tremendous response. To Leanit's question, as I say, I'm a novice learning the bike. Most of my speed is still in the straightaways as I dutifully work through the practice exercises in Proficient Motorcycling, etc. I'm 43 with a wife and 4 children all better than I will ever deserve. Consequently, I am pushing my skills at a more judicious pace than I would have when I was 18. I will go with Rob's excellent recommendation of the Michelins this time around. It's the safe play-lots of rain in So Fla and not skilled enough yet to tell the difference in the fine points of handling.

Thanks again, everyone.

post #13 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Welcome Nesty. You are very wise in starting off slow and growing your riding skills. If you haven't take a Motorcycle Safety course yet its well worth the time and money, as they give you a lot of good strategies for staying safe on the street. You will find plenty of opinions on tires. I use Pirelli Diablo Stradas, which are dual compound so the are harder in the center (for high mileage) and softer on the edges for turns. There are a lot of tire out like that now including some already mentioned.

Good luck and stay safe.

post #14 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 07:59 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
All, thank you so much for the tremendous response. To Leanit's question, as I say, I'm a novice learning the bike. Most of my speed is still in the straightaways as I dutifully work through the practice exercises in Proficient Motorcycling, etc. I'm 43 with a wife and 4 children all better than I will ever deserve. Consequently, I am pushing my skills at a more judicious pace than I would have when I was 18. I will go with Rob's excellent recommendation of the Michelins this time around. It's the safe play-lots of rain in So Fla and not skilled enough yet to tell the difference in the fine points of handling.

Thanks again, everyone.
hey nesty i am in ft lauderdale here by the airport ... holler if you wanna take a ride...

post #15 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 08:02 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanit View Post
Please share with us; what type of riding do you do? I have been riding since 1980 and have used just about every brand of tire out there and the best mileage I have ever gotten from any rear tire is 6,300 miles on a Honda 400. I ride mostly sport/sport touring bikes and have grown out of the WFO mentallity. I have heard of Michelin tires getting great mileage on touring bikes but 13,000 (+) out of a rear on a performance bike is awesome. Thanks, John

Rob is a n00b rider, he rarely goes over 5k rpm.
That's how he makes the tires last so long.

post #16 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanit View Post
Before I was laid off I commuted 520 miles a week, and the older Pilot Roads lasted 10,000 miles maximum. From this I would say the center compound of the Road 2CT's is a little harder.

My weekends are spent canyon carving very agressively on all the wonderful roads here in the Malibu Hills -- as a matter of fact the nearest twisty road is about 2 1/2 inches from my driveway -- and here is where the Road 2's really shine. Compared to the older Roads I'm holding 500 to 800 rpm higher through corners, and exits are much better controlled with more twist while leaned over further than before. These tires are a real relevation! Transitions are quite smooth though I have managed to spin the rear in quick left-right or right-left corner combinations as the tire is minimally loaded during the brief time it's vertical, but other than keeping the carcass warm it's not an issue. Another attribute they share with the older Roads is they need little warming up -- by the second corner they're good to go right to the edges.

By the way. I run 29 to 33 PSI rear and 27 to 30 PSI front all the time. Placard values are a disaster with these tires!

These tires rock!
Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #17 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

To MarylandMike's point about the safety course, I offer this for any other novices (NOT Rob!). I started with the safety course and in another 700 miles I will take the advanced course. After the advanced course, from everything I've read, machines like the 919 have so much potential that is untapped by the average rider that it makes far more sense to invest in track time than in any modifications while you are still building your skills.

Barton: Right now I would just slow you down! but would absolutely love to pace along with an experienced rider

Thanks again, guys.

post #18 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 11:20 AM

Awards Showcase

Try to do Keith Code's or any other competent track school instead.

You'll learn more from a track school. Track days are more for playing around and having fun.

post #19 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 11:20 AM

I found the Bridge stone which are stock 2007 to be very good even un roads as dangerous as Malta!!

post #20 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 11:23 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76blade View Post
I found the Bridge stone which are stock 2007 to be very good even un roads as dangerous as Malta!!

Yeah, maybe for sliding around on a supermoto bike.

post #21 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

One word; Dunlop RoadSmart, oh wait thats two words, just put your thumb over one of them.

Dan

post #22 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Milites Gregarius

after reading robs post i will try the pilot 2ct's,,,,, but i just installed roadsmarts this week. so i guess i'll be doing my own long-term testing.

post #23 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 03:16 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
To MarylandMike's point about the safety course, I offer this for any other novices (NOT Rob!). I started with the safety course and in another 700 miles I will take the advanced course. After the advanced course, from everything I've read, machines like the 919 have so much potential that is untapped by the average rider that it makes far more sense to invest in track time than in any modifications while you are still building your skills.

Barton: Right now I would just slow you down! but would absolutely love to pace along with an experienced rider

Thanks again, guys.
i don't mind riding slower... i made the big loop today... 95 to 195 thru southbeach back out to 836 past the airport to the palmetto to 75 north to 595 east back to 84east i live on marina mile... 86 mile round trip..

post #24 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 03:19 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76blade View Post
the stock battlax bt56's are slipperyer than greased owl poop.... total poop in the wet... but kinda fun to drift them around corners...

post #25 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Tire abuser

I just got back from a ride on my 919 and the rear Bridgestone just about made me crap myself. I was coming around a long sweeper - one that I ride every day - at about 175 km/h (115 mph) and the rear end started to slide side to side. It felt like a flat tire or loose suspension component. I rode it out (no brakes, steady throttle) and pulled over and I couldn't find any problems with either tire or any suspension part. I put 8000 km (5000 miles) on a Metzeler M1 rear tire and I never had an experience that scary. (I didn't really want the rear Bridgestone, but I destroyed the Metzeler on a gravel road and a friend gave me a half-used BT56 for free until I can afford a good set of tires.)

I really, really don't like the Bridgestones. I've had good experiences with Metzeler/Pirelli (they're the same company) and Michelin Pilot Sports and Pilot Roads. I have had very bad experiences with Dunlop cruiser tires (they appear to be made of some sort of hardwood) but I think their sportbike tires must be better.

Anyway, money you spend on tires, oil, training/track days, and protective gear is never wasted. Every bike my fiancee and I own (5 street and dirt motorcycles in total) has Michelins or Metzelers or Pirellis on it (except for the previously-mentioned rear Bridgestone on my 919).

How does Rob get mileage like that out of his rear tires? My previous bike - a Husaberg 650 Supermoto - went through 3 rears in less than 10 000 miles. I've only had the 919 for 9 000 km but I have burned through half a BT56, a Metzeler, half another used BT56, and I'm due for another rear tire. Sigh. I had money for a power commander but a rear tire is way more important.

post #26 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Discen

metzeler z6....just amazing tire.

post #27 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtsimmons View Post
My previous bike - a Husaberg 650 Supermoto - went through 3 rears in less than 10 000 miles. I've only had the 919 for 9 000 km but I have burned through half a BT56, a Metzeler, half another used BT56, and I'm due for another rear tire. Sigh. I had money for a power commander but a rear tire is way more important.
Number of miles on a motorcycle tire isn't the only factor. Heat cycles are also a factor. The tires on my ZX10 always have rubber on them when I replace them, because after a couple of trackdays and 3000-4000 miles they just aren't sticking like "before." Tires aren't the place to save money. Like folks that buy trackday take-offs and crash because the tires really aren't sticking any more. That little extra power the PC would give you isn't even close to what a good set of tires will give you. I'm really looking forward to the Rosso's on my 919. Good luck, Steve.

post #28 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

A big part in tires lasting is throttle control.
You can be a crap rider and wear out tires much faster than a very fast experienced rider. I do not know Rob, i do not know how Rob rides, but I am willing to guess off of some past thread I have read, Rob is steady with the throttle and brakes.
I noticed when I first started riding I was getting worse tire wear as I became more confident and aggressive. Then i did bunches and bunches of track days. I am faster now than I ever was and I find my tire wear is back up higher than it ever was (Front and rear).
Some peoples claim of tires stepping out is also do to poor throttle management, not tires. Sure, stickier tires will better mask you errors, however I think I want to know sooner than later when i am not smooth.
Todays worst tires are better than race tires from 15 years ago - just keep that in mind.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #29 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Dunlop Roadsmarts!!! 'Nuff said

Pics: https://www.wristtwisters.com/album.php?albumid=176

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
2004 Honda 919 Silver and Black w/red accents
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Buell M2 shield - plasti dip black
Givi Crash bars
Dynojet PCIII, Custom Akrapovic map
Akrapovic GSXR 750 Exhaust, Shorty Carbon fiber Low mount
Custom weld job on OEM header, to enable use of center stand and GSXR exhaust
VFR front fender, re-shaped and CF wrapped
Seargent seat w/ gel insert
Custom LED Rear lights w/ Vizi-tech flasher
Competition Works Fender Eliminator, modified
Front 3-way LED Turn Signals flushmount via cbr1000r
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Michelin Pilot Road 3 - New @ 19940 8/10/11 190/55r17 rear
Dyna Beads for tire balancing
17t / 44t Sprockets, 520 conversion from LDH
New All-balls bearings thru-out 6/2012
Piaa horns 400 & 500 hertz
Ohlins rear shock from an F3, Re-Valved/Sprung- By Pro Pilot Suspension
F4i Forks, custom sprung/sealed/valved, Plasti-dipped Black
ASV shorty clutch and front brake levers - Black W/Red Adj.
Tech-Spec custom tank Pads
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Custom Handle Bars with Grip Heaters and OEM hidden switch, Hi/Lo heat
FuzeBlocks FZ-1 Power Distribution
Shorai Battery
F2P garage door opener wired to brake switch
Hydraulic rear brake switch
RC51 front brakes SP1, with 10 button rotors
Buell Ulysses Dropped Foot Peg conversion
Powdercoated: 22+ parts
etc, etc,
post #30 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Tesserarius

Don't listen to Rob, he's only been riding for 3 days, today, yesterday, and tomorrow!
I have never liked Jap tires and never will.
I did like my Dunlop Qualifiers, but they only lasted 3000 miles. Looks like I might get 4000 out of my pilot powers.

post #31 of 31 Old 11-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Centurion

Ive got 7k on my Pilot Powers. The rear is on the wear bars in the center, almost new on the sides. The front is ALMOST to the wear bars in the center, new on sides as well. Yep, thats heartland interstate for you

Needless to say Im going to go with a more appropriate tire, replacing this winter, probably a Pilot Road 2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode