Rear Shocks??? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Sike

Rear Shocks???

If I go for it, I'll probably go for a Penske (I have had really good luck with them for price versus performance). However, I'm wondering whether or not people have figured out a direct swap from another bike that is proven to work (I have heard the F3, but also heard it doesn't make a "huge" difference). What about rears from other makes? When I got my Penske for my 10, somebody wanted my stock shock for their SV650 (apparently it works really well for that swap).

Thoughts???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

How many 919 rear shock threads do we need???

post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
How many 919 rear shock threads do we need???
The problem I have is that that thread really doesn't "go" anywhere. It appears there is one person happy with the F3 swap, one that says it screws up the geometry. There aren't any other swaps mentioned. It does mention the Ohlins option. So, it still leaves me wondering. However, you are probably right in the end......

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordduckhunter
I tried the F3 Shock on my own 919 back in the day and found the extra length to be an annoying change to the geometry of the bike and the ride compliance didn't really improve either I also had a 65 series tire installed around that time too so that also would have affected the results to some degree. Stock shocks are just crap period and I'm pretty sure the one off the F3 is designed around a rising rate linkage which really throws off the spring rate when used on a bike that doesn't have one like the 919.
LDH will tell it like it is with no BS.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
LDH will tell it like it is with no BS.
Yes and No. I believe that he is right from his perspective. However, what I have found from my friends who are fast racers and/or champions, their perspective is skewed. That is, they are asking things from a bike that most people never will. So, they frequently don't really know how a bike will perform below that level. This isn't in any way meant as a disrespect, but an observation.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

could we get a suspention offical thread, keep all this good info in one place? kinda like the exhaust stink offical thread. i think that would help out, maybe even a sticky, that way there is only 1

post #7 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

oh and as far as other shocks that fit, i dunno

post #8 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordduckhunter View Post
I tried the F3 Shock on my own 919 back in the day and found the extra length to be an annoying change to the geometry of the bike and the ride compliance didn't really improve either I also had a 65 series tire installed around that time too so that also would have affected the results to some degree. Stock shocks are just crap period and I'm pretty sure the one off the F3 is designed around a rising rate linkage which really throws off the spring rate when used on a bike that doesn't have one like the 919.

I agree with part of this statement:
The 65 series rear would definitly have some impact on the geometry. The F3 shock is 5 mm longer than the stock 919 shock, I really don't see that 5mm significantly changing the geometry with a 180/55/17 tire. Many people lower the forks by 10mm...if you used an F3 shock you would just need to change the forks to 5mm lower than stock...the geometry would be the same except that the ride height would be 5mm higher.

The part about the rising rate linkage is what concerns me. The F3 shock just wasn't designed for the 919. The F3's adjustability may make it acceptable for certain weights of riders. I have access to a F3 shock, I may throw it on to see how it feels. I know that SV650 riders have good results with ZX10 & ZX636 shocks.

A Penske or Ohlins that was designed for the 919 will obviously give the best results, it just depends how much you are willing to spend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode