Rear fender gone - license plate light? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Rear fender gone - license plate light?

Alrighty 9er gurus, for those of you who have killed off your rear fender and relocated your license plates, how are you lighting them now? I'll be removing the rear fender this weekend and relocating the license plate up under the rear tail light where the fender was attached. The only thing that concerns me is not having a light on my plate. I don't need to bring any unwanted men in uniform after me.

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I installed a Competition Works fender eliminator some time back and it retains the license plate light. I wouldn't recommend going without a plate light, since plenty of peeps have been pulled over for this infraction.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #3 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 12:01 PM
boogerface

They sell license plate bolts that have lights on them...or even modular lighting.

Improper placement of a license plate is a $1000 (four zeroes) fine in Florida. Yowsah!

Michael Reyes

2002 Honda 919 / 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan
post #4 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Who's Tirone?

I bought a small LED light that I screwed into the underside where the fender used to connect. It is about 1/4"x1" with four bright white LEDs. I wired it into the stock license plate wiring. Works awesome although it is a little bright just for a license plate. It lights up the whole underside of my tail piece from the rear tire up to the seat. My plate is seriously tucked under there about even with were the rear tire hugger ends. It cannot be seen from either side, only from directly behind the bike as the exhaust cans hide it.

post #5 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Tirone??

I made a bracket for my license plate, and left room for a small light I purchased on-line. The light I bought has 3 leds. A center one pointing down, and one on either side pointed at an angle, and gets the whole plate pretty well. Here is the link to where I bought the light, and it is model ALM-RB-x3.

Here are some pictures. One with a quater for size comparison, and one of the light it produces.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #6 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Who's Tirone?

That looks similar to mine except facing down instead of forward. Works great!

post #7 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Tirone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorwj View Post
That looks similar to mine except facing down instead of forward. Works great!
Sure does look similar. Very Small, but very bright. Got to love LED's.

Sorry for the Large Pictures....

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #8 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Gotsteam, that's pretty much what I'm hoping to do. Just wish I could find something like that locally so I could get it this weekend instead of having to order it online. Guess I'll be making my rounds to the bike shops again this weekend.

When I was looking at buying a 919, I looked at one where the owner had installed 3 LED's into the bottom part of the tail light cover (the area that is black) and wired those into the LP light. I wish I could figure out how he did that because that's exactly what I'd like to do.

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #9 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 12:43 PM
MAM Customs

I removed the clear lens from the original light on the fender and then used a dremel to cut out a matching piece of the taillight lens. Then I glued the clear piece in place. Works like a charm and no additional lights/wiring required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg random crap 004.jpg (535.8 KB, 46 views)

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
post #10 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardking View Post
Gotsteam, that's pretty much what I'm hoping to do. Just wish I could find something like that locally so I could get it this weekend instead of having to order it online. Guess I'll be making my rounds to the bike shops again this weekend.

When I was looking at buying a 919, I looked at one where the owner had installed 3 LED's into the bottom part of the tail light cover (the area that is black) and wired those into the LP light. I wish I could figure out how he did that because that's exactly what I'd like to do.
Beardking. I am the guy with the LED set into the bottom of the lense. I am working on getting some schematics and photos together. I have been kind of swamped at work and have not had much time with Ninah to get everything drawn up. If you can be patient it will be coming. We all need our winter projects!

post #11 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Who's Tirone?

Quote:
I bought mine right at a local bike dealer, it was hanging with all the other accessory stuff like turn signals, and bulbs.

Where I mounted mine is where the wiring comes down for the fender. I just butt connected the two wires from the light into the two wires for the plate light and tucked everything back up into the factory hole, then attached the new light to cover the factory hole. Easy as pie and clean looking. You don't even realize its there even when on. You can't see the bulbs shining, just the output from them. Its probably one of my favorite mods done to my bike.

post #12 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Here's my set up. . .

A basic license plate mount:

The micro LED strip plate illumination:

post #13 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 01:53 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Where did you find the micro-strip of LEDs? I've looked but can't find any weatherproof strips.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #14 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 02:58 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I have the same 3-bulb LED setup that Gotsteam showed. Very tiny but very bright.

post #15 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Where did you find the micro-strip of LEDs? I've looked but can't find any weatherproof strips.

I got it from Wheeling Cycle Supply. The license plate LED isn't listed on his web site. . .you'll need to call and ask for it. It's priced under $7.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/index.shtml

post #16 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

they also have them at discount auto and pepboy's

post #17 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I have my plate located the same place as KNOWWJ. All I did is used the factory plate light. To do this I need to extend the factory wires about 8 inches. The light comes with a little rubber grommet. Just drill the right size hole in the plastic underbelly, push in the grommet, insert the light bulb from underneath. Lights up the plate very well, along with most of the tire depending where you drill the whole. No cop could possible bust you on it. I will try to get pictures of it at night.

post #18 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Beardking, Check these guys out. I bought a powder coat frame from them. Nice stuff, they have a lifetime guarantee.
http://www.customdynamics.com/

post #19 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 08:34 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Beardking, Check these guys out. I bought a powder coat frame from them. Nice stuff, they have a lifetime guarantee.
http://www.customdynamics.com/
Yep, I have the same frame, very nice and an easy solution!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919plateframe.jpg (374.5 KB, 43 views)

post #20 of 29 Old 10-17-2008, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisco919 View Post
Beardking. I am the guy with the LED set into the bottom of the lense. I am working on getting some schematics and photos together. I have been kind of swamped at work and have not had much time with Ninah to get everything drawn up. If you can be patient it will be coming. We all need our winter projects!

Hah, patience is not something I've ever been known for. I would definitely be interested in seeing those. even more interested in a ready made product as my soldering skills are about as good as my skills for turning down pizza (poor 9er).

As for you being the guy with the LED's, unless you recently moved from Ft. Worth, TX, I'm thinking someone else had the same idea you do.

I'll be hitting up the shops this weekend to see if I can find something that will work for now, but once you get the design done, I'd definitely be interested.

post #21 of 29 Old 10-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Pilus Posterior

Have a look here at flyncycle. Licence plate light down the bottom - a tidy LED one. I was all set to purchase a few goodies - waited and the dollar crapped out on my side of the world. :-(

http://www.flyncycle.com/acatalog/un...il_lights.html

In NZ our plates are to wide to fit between the mufflers on my 919.

post #22 of 29 Old 10-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Hah, patience is not something I've ever been known for. I would definitely be interested in seeing those. even more interested in a ready made product as my soldering skills are about as good as my skills for turning down pizza (poor 9er).

As for you being the guy with the LED's, unless you recently moved from Ft. Worth, TX, I'm thinking someone else had the same idea you do.

I'll be hitting up the shops this weekend to see if I can find something that will work for now, but once you get the design done, I'd definitely be interested.
Maybe not the setup you saw but here is how I went about getting some light on the plate.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/a...0&d=1219758504

post #23 of 29 Old 10-18-2008, 02:44 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

+1 for the Custom Dynamics LED plate frame. That's what I did when I eliminated my fender. Quick & easy install.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #24 of 29 Old 10-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Immune

I just chopped the better half of my fender and moved everything up about 3 inches. Integrated tail/turns (Clear alternatives) and stock plate bracket and light. Took a little modification of the fender to mount the plate bracket and light but nothing a dremel cant handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.JPG (28.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.JPG (31.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.JPG (26.1 KB, 11 views)

post #25 of 29 Old 10-18-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Well, I ended up going with a set of LED license plate light bolts. They aren't quite what I want in the end, but until Wisco does his magic, they'll have to do (hint hint Wisco ).

Here you'll see the rear of my bike sans fender (sorry it's a little blurry, wasn't getting out the tripod for crappy garage pictures) :

Here is the rear minus the fender:

Here is the rear with the LED bolts in the lit garage:

And here is the same pic, but with only the bike lights:

Of course, since I know how sneaky you people are, I had to blur out the license plate numbers , but I'm quite happy with how much light is thrown on the plate. The only thing that I might do if I don't end up doing what Wisco has done is to add another set of LED bolts to the bottom holes so that it throws light in all directions.

Wisco, that picture looks almost exactly like what the guy had done to the bike that I was looking at. Did you post that somewhere? I'm wondering if he got the bright idea himself or hijacked yours.

post #26 of 29 Old 10-19-2008, 05:43 PM
919 City Pilot

I was a cheap skate and drilled a bunch of holes in thebottom of the tail light lens, Let's just enough light on the plate,,,,,

post #27 of 29 Old 10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegjumpflyer View Post
I was a cheap skate and drilled a bunch of holes in thebottom of the tail light lens, Let's just enough light on the plate,,,,,
I thought of doing that myself. It is not cheap it's just smart.

post #28 of 29 Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I had small LEDs as my plate source which came on the bike, but they were not done well and ended up shorting each other out and I have to pull them off and order new bulbs. I was considering drilling holes under the lense cover.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #29 of 29 Old 10-20-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

I had thought about going the drilled holes route, but since I have the CA LED unit in there, the light coming out of it would be red. I don't know how strict the cops are down here about that, but it specifically states in the code that the license plate light is to be white in color.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode