rear axel bolt prob.. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 07-14-2007, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Not Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

rear axel bolt prob..

Ok. I resently changed sprockets from stock to 15 44.. and no matter what i do I cant seem to keep the rear axel bolt to stay where I set it.. Granted it will not move under normal riding.. only when I run threw the gears hard or hit 2nd gear before tire hits the ground will it move and losen chane.. and im not talking about alot maybe a 16th inc. but its enough to lossen chane .I have tried torqueing it 25-30 ftp past spec and still same thing happens... Im wondering if this has happend to any of you ?? the only thing I can think of to try next is reversing the bolt threw the axel and have the nut on the sprocket side,, Im open to sugestions... plz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 03:14 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Assuming this problem did not exist prior to the wheel being removed, you should check the axle spacers for correct placement and make sure the flat washer was installed. Other than that be sure the wheel does not cock when tightening the axle bolt. This can happen oh so easy.

post #3 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Not Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

As fare as I know I have the spacers and washer in proper place.. and allways recheck chane after tighting bolt. If there was a rear wheel and axle diagram of all the parts that would be helpful.. but i have yet to find it..

post #4 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 05:59 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Ron Ayers site has a complete parts breakdown:
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_04...70&parent=4940

Are you sure your chain isn't worn out and "stretching", yanking out the kinks, etc?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Not Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Im sure the chain is not worn out.. the axle bolt is actualy moving.. only 4000 miles on this chain and i keep it clean and lubed.. every 400 miles or after riding in rain..thx for the link ill check it out.
and its a 06 919

post #6 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

If it is the stock chain, It's stretching. I used to adjust my chain every time I came back from riding for the day.
The only way the Axel can move is if the chain tensioner's were UN screwing & allowing it to move.
Try snugging up the Axel, then adjust the chain tension, then tighten the Axel to spec.
Re check the adjusters. If the screws are loose,tighten them (counter clockwise)to make sure the wheel won't move.

post #7 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Not Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Well.. I give up.. I allready do exactly what your saying.. Today i even took off wheel cleaned all metal that has any contact with bolts washers ajusters ,all spacers are there chane is clean and lubed .. ajusted chain snuged ajusters after tighting axle bolt.. took it for a 5 min ride pulled a few wheelies hit 2nd hard came back to the house and the damn thing moved.. chain is not streching in 5 mins.. .. damn it looks like i have to take it to the damn honda guy and ask wtf...

post #8 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Make sure axle blocks don't slide away from the adjusters.

Get something wedged between the chain & top part of the rear sprocket, like a little box wrench or a heavy rag. This will force the axle & the axle blocks towards the axle adjusters, getting rid of the little gap that springs up as soon as you lean on the fixing nut.

It doesn't take a lot of pressure to do this, so don't give it too much force.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Cornicen

i had exactly the same problem and got into a few arguments regarding torque. after 5 trys i just removed the adjusters, and torqued the snot out of it. my point at the time was that the axle alone should stay put without the aid of adjusters i didn't damage the wheel bearings and there wasn't any more friction from over torqueing, i did my wheelies and it didn't move. however since then i reattached the adjusters and torque to spec, bottom line is we're all ridin it against the adjusters and if you don't believe me back them off and go for a rip and you'll see the chain go slack.
now you got me goin, so if you get a flat and you break out your cheesy tool kit you can barely break the axle nut loose at factory specs let alone if its torqued enough to actually handle 100 rear wheel, so they put on the adjusters cause its safer easier blah blah.
take your time, keep the nut fairly snug, just loose enough to let the adjusters move it, then bear down. it ain't gonna move if the adjusters are against it.

post #10 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Not Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Well you have solved my prob with the majic word (counter clockwise) thx for all the sugestions and help....some times the answer is right infront of your face and you cant see it.. forgive me .. Its been close to 18 yrs seens I have had a bike and you can forgit alot in that time.. and thx Xrmikey for reminding me of the right way to tighten ajusters..(damn feels pretty stupid) hides in some starwars chat room for a few days.....

post #11 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Use the force...Tk919!
Ride..the chain tight it will be.Attachment 3572
May the force be with you.

post #12 of 13 Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

tool kit

Hey drivit,What did you get in your tool kit? I got a 5mm allen wrench and a helmet cable. Did I get tatood?

[
post #13 of 13 Old 07-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
Hey drivit,What did you get in your tool kit? I got a 5mm allen wrench and a helmet cable. Did I get tatood?
Nope. Thats about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode