Ready for something new? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 32 Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Ready for something new?

I'm looking ahead to next season already. I'm thinking light weight, razor sharp handling. Right now, I'm thinking 600RR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Getting rid of the niner?

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #3 of 32 Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 PM

I wouldn't mind one of those 600rr's myself...

I think Honda has to be making a bunch of money off them, everyone seems to want one whereas the new zx-6r...well...not so much.

post #4 of 32 Old 06-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Yeah, it's a big picture, shut up and get a better monitor..

This 675 will have the low and mid-range that the 600's lack.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #5 of 32 Old 06-11-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Yeah, it's a big picture, shut up and get a better monitor..

This 675 will have the low and mid-range that the 600's lack.
I love the 675 and everything, but the new 600rr has a stonking low and midrange not far removed, and one that embarrasses the other 600's. Also the 600rr is lighter (which is crazy because the 675 is insanely light!)

post #6 of 32 Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

That new 600RR is gonna spank the field in the 600 class.
The 08 1000RR is gonna get some of the same treatment.

post #7 of 32 Old 06-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Not so Rookie Anymore

It looks purdy... But how many gallons of gas does that 675 hold? Looks like you would be filling up every hour or so!

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
post #8 of 32 Old 06-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Love Machine

Sniper, your thinking the same thing as me. I'm up for a promotion here soon and with that, Adam needs another bike. Can't get rid of the 9'r. But I have two choices that i can't make up my mind. The 600rr or one of 3 Repsol 1000's that are sitting at the Honda dealer.

I know the 600 would be the best track bike, but on the other hand, i won't be doing a lot of track days every year. But i will be riding to work a lot. so i was thinking going witht the 1000. Plus even that will be a big difference from the 9'r. Decisions, Decisions.....

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
post #9 of 32 Old 06-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarble View Post
Sniper, your thinking the same thing as me. I'm up for a promotion here soon and with that, Adam needs another bike. Can't get rid of the 9'r. But I have two choices that i can't make up my mind. The 600rr or one of 3 Repsol 1000's that are sitting at the Honda dealer.

I know the 600 would be the best track bike, but on the other hand, i won't be doing a lot of track days every year. But i will be riding to work a lot. so i was thinking going witht the 1000. Plus even that will be a big difference from the 9'r. Decisions, Decisions.....
Wait for the 08' 1000RR. I am.

post #10 of 32 Old 06-12-2007, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I've never ridden a CBR1000. Maybe I ought to.... I've spent a little time on a pal's ZX10R. That thing is just too much. You cannot let your guard down for one second. There can be too much of a good thing, and the ZX10 has it.

That little 6 on the other hand would be fun. Someone help me out here, 420 lbs fully wet, 109 hp. Yeah, not a boatload of torque.

I think handling is where it's at. You can teach a monkey to lay on the tank and hold the throttle open on a straight.

One of the many things i like about the 919 is, I feel like I'm able to "use most of the bike". There is something satisifying about that. I can't get nearly everything out of my 929, and getting a 1000 would be more of the same.

Don't know if I'd keep the 919 or not. It'd be kind of silly to have 3 bikes.

post #11 of 32 Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 AM

Sportrider lists the wet weight as 412lbs. versus 485lbs. for the 919.

The 600rr isn't a slouch:
60-80mph/3.68 sec.; 80-100mph/3.42 sec.
10.434 sec. @ 132.78 mph (corrected)

post #12 of 32 Old 06-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Keep the 9r...
change your underwear.

Seriously I agree sniper there can be too much of a good thing.
I wonder if the 08' CBR1K will be a sweet spot...

post #13 of 32 Old 06-12-2007, 12:05 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

and various people have posted up full wet weights on scales in the 404-410 range too

post #14 of 32 Old 06-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
It'd be kind of silly to have 3 bikes.
blasphemy!! Only 2 more and get a different ride to work everyday!!

Seriously I like all the bikes mentioned if I had the resources it would have to be a smaller liter bike for the track only to get better skills...

but then there is something in me that just screams R1 everytime i think new bike. So oh well I'm no help!

mmmm... that bike just looks good to me!! the hard choice red and black or just black...

post #15 of 32 Old 06-13-2007, 03:43 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I'm with him ^ Love that red and black R1. I wouldn't buy one because it's just not practical for me, but I love the look!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #16 of 32 Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Talked to the dealer yesterday. $8700+ tax, cash.

$4500+ tax if I give them my 919.

At this point, I'm thinkig, just buckle down, and save the money, pay cash for the 600RR, and keep the other 2 bikes. They're paid for,insurance and tags are dirt cheap.

post #17 of 32 Old 06-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
but then there is something in me that just screams R1 everytime i think new bike.
Better check out this site first if you're planning to buy an "07 R1:

http://www.yamaha2007r1.com/

post #18 of 32 Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 PM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Pity. That is such a gorgeous machine.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #19 of 32 Old 06-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post

Sounds like a class action in the making.

post #20 of 32 Old 06-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Love Machine

I would wait, but that repsol 1000 is so dead sexy!!! Can't get over how those look.....

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
post #21 of 32 Old 06-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post

One reason never to buy the first year of any new release, always wait for the next year, or buy a honda!!

Not really ever gonna buy one just lusting!!

post #22 of 32 Old 06-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Talked to the dealer yesterday. $8700+ tax, cash.

$4500+ tax if I give them my 919.

At this point, I'm thinkig, just buckle down, and save the money, pay cash for the 600RR, and keep the other 2 bikes. They're paid for,insurance and tags are dirt cheap.
This might make waiting a little harder.

CBR600RR Development

The revolutionary CBR600RR is destined to set, like its 1987 Hurricane 600 predecessor, a new, even higher benchmark for high-performance middleweights. And that's because the RR has closer ties to an exotic, ultra-advanced MotoGP racer—Honda's world-championship-winning RC211V—than any other bike in the class.

The similarities in appearance between the RR and RC211V are obvious—and intentional. And while it's not uncommon for street bikes to utilize racing technology, this is the first time such totally new technologies have found their way to the production line the same year they made their way to the Grand Prix grid. Need more proof of how serious Honda was in developing the RR? Read on...

Mass Centralization
One of the central concepts driving development of the CBR600RR (and likewise, the elite RC211V) is mass centralization; that is, concentrating the component masses as close to the motorcycle's center as possible.

Compared with the F4i, the rider sits 70mm farther forward on the RR.

The crucial element, and what made that radical repositioning possible, comes from another idea lifted directly from the RC211V: the fuel tank, and its placement. A more compact shape than the F4i's conventional tank permits the RR to have the same 4.8-gal. capacity, while weighing 1.0kg less. Compared with traditional designs, the RR's fuel placement contributes to centralizing mass via its location, and by allowing the rider to be placed farther forward. In addition, the tank's placement ensures the RR's handling won't be affected by changing fuel loads—another trait it shares with the RC211V.

An All-New Engine
The CBR600RR's all-new 599cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine also contributes greatly to mass centralization.

More compact and shorter in length, the new design made it possible to move the engine—and the rider—closer to the steering head, and thus closer to the machine's center of mass.

Shortening the engine had yet another benefit: It allowed lengthening the swingarm to 573mm (43mm longer than the F4i's), making the RR's one of the longest in its class. A longer swingarm not only shifts the weight bias forward, it also makes for more progressive suspension action by reducing the angle the swingarm rotates for a given suspension movement.

The CBR600RR's awesome 599cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder is an all-new powerplant, though it does share the same bore and stroke dimensions (67mm x 42.5mm) as the F4i's engine.

One of the primary goals for the RR was class-leading horsepower, and engineers succeeded in spades. The CBR600RR's engine makes peak rear-wheel horsepower at 12,500 rpm, compared with the F4i's peak at 12,000 rpm.

For racing, the RR also provides greater overrev capacity, with a 15,000-rpm redline that allows riders to wind past the engine's power peak when it's not possible to shift, or when doing so would slow them down, an important racing benefit.

Such extremely high engine-speeds create impossibly short intake/exhaust intervals that can push conventional fuel-delivery systems past their limits. To solve that problem, engineers applied a new Honda technology lifted directly from the dominating RC211V: Programmed Dual Stage Fuel Injection (PGM-DSFI). DSFI combines the RR's four Denso 40mm throttle bodies with four more injectors (each with 12 holes) located in the top of the airbox. At engine speeds below 5500 rpm, only the throttle body injectors work. Above that rpm, the airbox injectors also come into play. Lastly, a Dual-Stage Air Induction ram-air system feeds dense, cool air to the airbox via larger inner/outer ducts.

The RR's MotoGP-style engine redline also required engineers to pare down reciprocating weight by using forged slipper pistons, shorter, smaller-diameter tool-steel piston pins, and all-new carburised connecting rods. Overall, the RR's engine weighs 0.7kg less than the F4i's.

Another design goal for the RR's engine was to make it more compact than the F4i's to increase cornering clearance. Engineers moved the crankshaft-mounted starter gear from its traditional position on the left-hand side to the right-hand side, accounting for a three-degree increase in bank angle on both sides of the motorcycle. An RC211V-inspired center-up exhaust system contributes to increased cornering clearance as well.

Chassis
Honda's CBR600s have always had a reputation for exemplary handling, a reputation engineers wanted to enhance with the all-new CBR600RR.

A daunting task to be sure, but what better place from which to draw inspiration than the world-championship-winning RC211V?

The CBR600RR's frame, for example, makes use of the mass centralization ideas proven so well on the RC211V. And the RR took yet another chapter from the MotoGP rocket's winning playbook with its Unit Pro-Link rear suspension—technology never before seen on a street bike. Unit Pro-Link attaches the top of the shock absorber to the heavily braced aluminum swingarm, rather than to an upper-rear frame crossmember. As the rear wheel passes over a bump, the shock is compressed at the bottom by a set of links. Furthermore, the shock absorber's loads don't get fed into the frame's downtube structure, which allows the engineers unprecedented freedom in frame design, so they can tune the frame for very specific characteristics.

Honda's New Aluminum-Frame Technology
Honda has long pioneered the use of all-aluminum frames for street bikes and off-road motorcycles.
Each use requires different construction and tuning, but they often use a collection of castings, forgings, pressings or extrusions. Now, though, after years of research and development, Honda has made a huge leap forward in manufacturing aluminum frames with the advent of Hollow Fine Die-Cast technology. What this means is designers have a unique, new freedom to create freely formed, hollow-section die-cast frame members, but with much thinner walls than ever before. With previous conventional Fine Die-Cast techniques, the thinnest walls possible had been 3.5mm. With Honda's new Hollow Fine Die-Cast technique, an unprecedented 2.5mm wall thickness is now possible.

The CBR600RR's frame consists of five pieces that use this breakthrough technology: the steering head, both downtube structures, and both swingarm pivot plates. (The unusually intricate subframe also uses this technology.) Using Hollow Fine Die-Cast techniques, engineers have even greater latitude to tune frame members to specific rigidities to enhance handling.
What's more, Hollow Fine Die-Casting saves time on the production line by virtue of more accurately cast components.

The Most Advanced Sportbike Honda Has Ever Produced
You can trace an unbroken line directly from the original CBR600 to today's all-new CBR600RR. The RR carries on the same tradition of phenomenal performance—in fact, it packs the highest levels of performance ever available from a middleweight motorcycle. But Honda's CBR600RR takes the concept even further than the CBR600 family ever did. The original CBR was the purest expression possible of what was then current technology in inline-four engines, steel frames and single-shock Pro-Link rear suspension.

The 2003 CBR600RR blows away current technological boundaries, choosing to eschew conventional design to trace a line directly to the breakthrough RC211V. That lineage is what makes the CBR600RR a watershed in motorcycling.
It takes the latest, world-championship-winning technology, and applies it in real time to a motorcycle that's available now—not next year, or the year after that. It's also what makes the CBR600RR the most advanced sportbike Honda has ever produced.

Now if the 1000RR is going to get this,or at least some of this treatment,I know what I'm getting.

post #23 of 32 Old 06-14-2007, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Yeah, I read everything I can get my hands on. This months t.w.o. has a very good article on all the 6's. They also rave about the CBR1000.

Can someone please photoshop a white 600RR, turn it yellow for me?

post #24 of 32 Old 06-14-2007, 07:34 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

Sure must be nice to be able to afford insurance on a sport bike!!

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #25 of 32 Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcent View Post
Sure must be nice to be able to afford insurance on a sport bike!!
Huh? wha? $430ish a year for full coverage on a 1000cc sportbike at 25 years old with one speeding ticket on record.

Check the search here, insurance is not that bad.

Sorry to derail.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #26 of 32 Old 06-14-2007, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The reason insurance is so high is because there are too many 20 year olds go out and finance a new 600 instead of starting out on a used 250 or 500. (Americans as a whole always buy vehicles that are way too big, that leads to trouble when you're on 2 wheels, hence my desire for a 600RR) Anyways, the 20 year old makes one premium payment then totals the bike and nearly himself. The insurance company now buys the bike and pays his hospital bills.... and passes the expences on to guys like us who are in it for the long run. That's why 20 year olds crusing thru town with no gear and 1" wide chicken stripes piss me off. They're an accident waiting to happen, and when it does, the bike gets blamed. I wish they'd just stay in their Civics and Mustangs.

I pay cash when I buy. I put liability on it, and if I break something, I take responsibility for my actions and fix it myself. No one elce pays for my mistakes.

Meanwhile, how bout that photoshopped yellow 600RR?

post #27 of 32 Old 06-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I must have missed something... why do you need to photoshop a Honda 600rr yellow?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #28 of 32 Old 06-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
I must have missed something... why do you need to photoshop a Honda 600rr yellow?

mmmm...that's nice

I've got a buddy with one just like that. His has a Corbin, though, which makes the bike much less of a torture rack than most 600cc sportbikes. Man are those things ever fun to ride! I swear the handling is telepathic. If I ditch the 9er, it's either for a 600RR or a VFR.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #29 of 32 Old 06-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919 View Post
His has a Corbin, though, which makes the bike much less of a torture rack than most 600cc sportbikes.

Never rode an RC-51 I take it?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #30 of 32 Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

A cinderblock paver would be a more comfortable seat than the stock RC-51's.

post #31 of 32 Old 06-14-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I wanted an 07 in yellow. Yeah, I know, not much different.

the newer 600s are a hoot.

post #32 of 32 Old 06-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Never rode an RC-51 I take it?
I said "most 600cc sportbikes" the fiddy-one is a liter so nyah nyah

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode