Radiator fan cycling - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 06-04-2006, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Radiator fan cycling

I noticed my radiator fan is cycling more then usual, if I am riding residential streets and pull the clutch in to come to a stop I hear it running (& can feel & see it) but by the time I brake & stop it stops. All this occurs when the temp needle is down by the line just above the C, not where it usually comes on at midgage. What is going on? I resently put in a Power Commander. On an 02 919.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-05-2006, 06:35 AM

The only thing I can think of would be the bike is running leaner after the PC install. Did you have it mapped on the dyno or just downloaded a map? Try downloading another map with the same kind of configurtion (i.e. slip-on pipe and air filter or whatever you have). If you have a custom map make SURE you save a copy to your hard drive before you send a new map using the powercommander software.

post #3 of 13 Old 06-05-2006, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

I am using LDH's map for the 2nd gen Satos, I have the same setup as him from airbox inlet to muffler tip engine wise. This occurs when the temp guage reads a low temp and it goes off when I stop. If I let the bike sit and idle the fan won't come on until the gauge is about 1/2 way to hot which is what is has done since new. I never rember it running except for sitting in traffic, never while moving.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
919 City Pilot

Mine has always likes the open road...runs cool.

As soon as I get into traffic forget about it.....the fan does its thing PCIII or not.

Its only a problem if it doesnt go off..................................

post #5 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er
I am using LDH's map for the 2nd gen Satos, I have the same setup as him from airbox inlet to muffler tip engine wise. This occurs when the temp guage reads a low temp and it goes off when I stop. If I let the bike sit and idle the fan won't come on until the gauge is about 1/2 way to hot which is what is has done since new. I never rember it running except for sitting in traffic, never while moving.
Well keep this in mind, even if you build 2 completely identical motors they will require different maps. If it hasn't been custom mapped then it's not made for your bike. It's made for LDH's bike.

Have you had the bike apart anytime in the recent past? Have you checked your coolant level? Is there air in the system? Is your wiring loose at the fan? Fan relay loose? It almost sounds like you have a short somewhere and the fan isn't running often enough to keep your temps down to normal levels. It shouldn't shut off when you stop the bike. It should be based on a preset temperature from the ECU. My 600RR is 220F but our bikes are meant to run a little hotter then most.

post #6 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

The map is close enough for me, Honda's map isn't individual bike specific either. I have not been able to look at those items yet, bike wasn't apart. The problem is it runs too much, not the other way around. It will run with the engine cold as long as I am moving. I will look into those things soon. Thanks.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 09:10 AM

Oh Ok. I wonder if the fan control comes from the gauge or the ECU? If it comes from the gauge and the gauge is off then it would run more often. But I'm not sure how these bikes are controlled. This is a analog gauge right?

post #8 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 07:05 PM
919 City Pilot

Standard temp controled variable voltage deal...... set at preset temp to kick on / off the fan.........once the fan comes on the bike never gets any hotter.... It does its job. It was over 100 today so no complaining.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

But it is not being consistant, when moving at slow speed (about 25-30 mph)the fan comes on with the gague barley above the C, when I stop the bike, the fan stops. If I sit there at idle until the fan comes on again the gague is 1/2 up to hot--so it is turning it on at different gague readings. If it sounds weird and unlikely then I must be expaining it right because thats what it is and is really confusing me--verified it again tonight. I do not remember it ever doing this before. It does not run constantly or not at all which the factory manual seems to think can be the only 2 problems with it 7,000 miles on an 02, original owner since new, recently installed Satos & PCIII.

post #10 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

It's not the exhaust and I highly doubt it's the PC3. Disconnect the PC3 to make sure of this.. but it's not the exhaust for sure.. it just isn't

It's likely the temp sending unit, or a wire has gone to ground or bumps to ground or perhaps a relay that that is closing without a signal telling it to. My bet would be on the temp sender. Inspect the wire to the temp sender. Without looking at my manual or the wiring schematics, I would say the temp sender is the electrical device right near the T-stat housing. Look for a problem there. I will look at the manual and the schematic a little later and update.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #11 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 04:24 AM
919 City Pilot

The fan should kick on about 3/4 scale. You do have a electrical issue.

post #12 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 06:05 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

The temp. sender otherwise known as the ECT sensor is located just above the thermostat. The spec. is 2.3 to 2.6k ohms @ 68 degrees F. There are 3 wires, my guess is to measure the resistance on the 2 pins of the ECT sensor that go to the PGM-Fi module. Remove the connector when you measure this resistance.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-07-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegjumpflyer
Standard temp controled variable voltage deal...... set at preset temp to kick on / off the fan.........once the fan comes on the bike never gets any hotter.... It does its job. It was over 100 today so no complaining.
So it's just a potentiometer then?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode