Racetech spring spacer length pre vs post '04 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Racetech spring spacer length pre vs post '04

Hi Guys, I got a smoking deal on a set of '07 forks that I am going to transfer onto my '02 919... But I have Racetech 1kg springs in my '02's forks. I know that they are the same springs used for the later forks, but that the spacers are cut down further. My instructions do not give me the length of the spacers for the later forks- can someone help me out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I don't remember a spacer in my forks, maybe thats what that preload adjuster is for eh?

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #3 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
I don't remember a spacer in my forks, maybe thats what that preload adjuster is for eh?
I think we have a winner.

There are threads floating around here that discuss using different length cuts of PVC as spacers in the pre-2004 forks as a form of preload adjustment.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #4 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Discen

https://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/919...sted-4894.html

The first picture in this thread shows what I am talking about; I need the spacer length for max preload with the Racetech springs... Lost my instruction booklet

post #5 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue919Guy View Post
Hi Guys, I got a smoking deal on a set of '07 forks that I am going to transfer onto my '02 919... But I have Racetech 1kg springs in my '02's forks. I know that they are the same springs used for the later forks, but that the spacers are cut down further. My instructions do not give me the length of the spacers for the later forks- can someone help me out?

very simple.

07 OEM spring + 07 OEM spacer = your 1kg spring + X mm new spacer.

X mm new spacer = (07 OEM spring + 07 OEM spacer) - your 1kg spring

you do the Math

post #6 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 01:10 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Also don't use PVC if you can, use RT supplied nice aluminum spacers

post #7 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 02:23 PM
McTavish

Quote:
https://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/919...sted-4894.html

The first picture in this thread shows what I am talking about; I need the spacer length for max preload with the Racetech springs... Lost my instruction booklet
My build notes are as follows based on the instructions :
124 mm
-49 mm
+15 mm preload
= total spacer length of 90 mm, which is what is inside my 05 forks and the chassis guy said I did perfectly.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Thanks Mcromo, exactly what I was looking for. Did you apply the max recomended preload?

post #9 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Thanks Mcromo, exactly what I was looking for. Did you apply the max recomended preload?
15 mm is recommended and that's what I used.

post #10 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Le So Cal Troll

if you have both sets of forks... and your obviously taking them apart... you should have both sets of respective preload spares, or am i missing something here.

post #11 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
if you have both sets of forks... and your obviously taking them apart... you should have both sets of respective preload spares, or am i missing something here.
Yes. With the Race Tech kit you need to cut new spacers. The same RaceTeck kit is used for both generation forks.. the only difference being the length you cut the spacers.

I am pretty sure I simply matched the complete length of the unloaded OEM spring, all washers and the OEM spacer.. then swapped over and measured the RT spring and washers and cut a spacer to make it the same length. This would allow about the same initial force against the pre-load adjuster when you go to screw the whole thing back together.

Good luck!

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #12 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Yes. With the Race Tech kit you need to cut new spacers. The same RaceTeck kit is used for both generation forks.. the only difference being the length you cut the spacers.

I am pretty sure I simply matched the complete length of the unloaded OEM spring, all washers and the OEM spacer.. then swapped over and measured the RT spring and washers and cut a spacer to make it the same length. This would allow about the same initial force against the pre-load adjuster when you go to screw the whole thing back together.

Good luck!
AH ok so the spring kit comes with its own "specific to the spring" spacer. Gotcha.

post #13 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 09:07 PM
McTavish

Quote:
AH ok so the spring kit comes with its own "specific to the spring" spacer. Gotcha.
No. If you are talking Race Tech springs in a 919, the springs are the same length regardless of rate but the spacers are the same length. It's a linear measure of 15 mm of spring preload that one is after. The spacer length change is a function of the new or old style front end, actually, a function of the difference in the length of the fork cap. 04s and newer use shorter spacers.

post #14 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
No. If you are talking Race Tech springs in a 919, the springs are the same length regardless of rate but the spacers are the same length. It's a linear measure of 15 mm of spring preload that one is after. The spacer length change is a function of the new or old style front end, actually, a function of the difference in the length of the fork cap. 04s and newer use shorter spacers.
yes, what im saying is that the RT springs came with their own spacers... you didnt reuse the ones that are originally in the forks.

post #15 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 06:44 AM
McTavish

Quote:
yes, what im saying is that the RT springs came with their own spacers... you didnt reuse the ones that are originally in the forks.
Yes, you are very correct that springs with different free lengths will need different spacer lengths.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode