Race Tech fork internals? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 09-01-2006, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Race Tech fork internals?

Anyone have any thoughts on Race Tech internals (valve and spring kits) for the 9er? I got some good fedback from a friend who put them on his superhawk, and was wondering if anyone is running them on their 919?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

paging jayfooey...

post #3 of 13 Old 09-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Honda Addict

I have Race Tech 1kg springs in mine and they made a big difference. I weigh 220 so that was a factor. Haven't gone with the valve kit yet. Figured I'd start with just the springs and the results are great. Probably the biggest difference is that it doesn't dive near as bad when braking. Handling improved some also.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-01-2006, 08:46 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
paging jayfooey...

yes I have the racetech gold valves, .95kg springs, and oil. I had a friend do for me. I also have an Ohlins rear shock. I weight 190lbs with full gear...

I've done several trackdays with that set up and to me it was the best investment for my track riding experience...

I posted my original information on Project919.com...
Here's a link to the thread on the project919 http://www.project919.com/modules.ph...iewtopic&t=179

post #5 of 13 Old 09-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfooey View Post
yes I have the racetech gold valves, .95kg springs, and oil. I had a friend do for me. I also have an Ohlins rear shock. I weight 190lbs with full gear...

I've done several trackdays with that set up and to me it was the best investment for my track riding experience...

I posted my original information on Project919.com...
Here's a link to the thread on the project919 http://www.project919.com/modules.ph...iewtopic&t=179
Excellant!

I installed the RaceTech 1.0 kg springs this spring. Huge improvement as I am pretty heavy. I wanted to do more at that time but it was not in the budget and I was confused as to what I would need. Now, I am currently waiting for new fork seal kits as the right one is a pissing oil, and I wanted to do more to the forks while I had them off. I want to do the work myself and I am so confused as to what is needed for the shiz from RaceTech. I see you have posted a parts list from your fork rebuild.. this may help. I can't find any pictures though? And I was wondering if you were there while your friend did the fork rebuild and if you could now do it yourself? The reason I ask is in case I get up to my a$$ or run into any complications I would want to ask your help here on Wrist Twisters. I didn't understand the Gold Valves vs. the Gold rebound valves. They are different? Does the rebound valve give you an adjuster on top of the fork tube? Do I need the fork seals from RaceTech, or are the kits I ordered from Honda going to work? More info bro!

Thanks in advance,

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #6 of 13 Old 09-02-2006, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

This will be my first attempt at fork rebuilding too. I am fairly mechanically inclined and will be getting help from my friend who did his superhawk. Are there any special tools needed?

post #7 of 13 Old 09-02-2006, 06:40 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
This will be my first attempt at fork rebuilding too. I am fairly mechanically inclined and will be getting help from my friend who did his superhawk. Are there any special tools needed?
You will need a micrometer to measure the shims and a air impact wrench is helpful to remove that pesky bottom bolt in the lower leg.

Any modifications made to cartridge forks can be tricky, it is not for the inexperienced backyard wrench. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from attempting these mods., just want to give you a heads up. One of my riding buddies put the Race-Tech gold valve kit in his Vstrom with no prior cartridge fork experience. On the flip side, others have buggered up the forks inners so bad that they had to send them to Race-Tech for rebuilding.
The choice is totally up to you!

Race-Tech fork products for the 919

post #8 of 13 Old 09-02-2006, 06:52 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

A manual certainly helps. Like Mike said, an impact is helpful for getting the bottom bolt out. A lot of people tear down the forks and drain the oil first, then find out they have to put them back together to hold the internals while they impact the bottom bolt out. Or, you can find something to "lock up" the internals after tear down, but be careful with this.
Something to measure fluid is helpful.
Also, the copper slider bushing is cheap and a good thing to order ahead of time so you don't have to wait. If you've got some miles on you'll notice the copper has worn away. The manual tells you what to look for. Other than that, you said you're mechanically inclined. It's not too tough as long as you monitor personal alcohol intake.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 13 Old 09-04-2006, 05:49 AM

Race tech's piston design should be perfect for a bike like the 9. They are tunable and should make a 100 percent difference on a street bike.

I will say that if the 9 has cartridge forks I suggest against doing it yourself, it is very tricky and not easy to get it just right. If you don't get it "just" right they won't work right either. Furthermore, if the compression piston is ball peened in, get it done because you'll likely screw up the cartridge getting it out. Just a mechanic's .02

post #10 of 13 Old 09-07-2006, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
A manual certainly helps. Like Mike said, an impact is helpful for getting the bottom bolt out. A lot of people tear down the forks and drain the oil first, then find out they have to put them back together to hold the internals while they impact the bottom bolt out. Or, you can find something to "lock up" the internals after tear down, but be careful with this.
Something to measure fluid is helpful.
Also, the copper slider bushing is cheap and a good thing to order ahead of time so you don't have to wait. If you've got some miles on you'll notice the copper has worn away. The manual tells you what to look for. Other than that, you said you're mechanically inclined. It's not too tough as long as you monitor personal alcohol intake.

I never drink and wrench!

post #11 of 13 Old 09-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:

Well what fun is that?!?

post #12 of 13 Old 09-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Honda Addict

Quote:
Sounds to much like work to me!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Unbannable

I put .80 springs in my EX500. Stock was .54kg ha ha! I think for a street bike the only big differance will be the less dive under breaking. Something my EX needed badly with the brake upgrade I did. It didn't make it into a much better handling bike though.

IMO, if it doesn't dive to much and it works, don't fix what isn't broke.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode