Questions on Buying a New 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 08-27-2008, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Questions on Buying a New 919

The dealer here has about 19 07' left. They gave me a price of 6780.00 before taxes 75 dollar paperwork fee. Is the extended warranty worth it? It's been a waste of money on my Honda cars. Is the center stand needed? I would be doing a lot of my own maintenance. Do you think the prices will go down any further as it gets colder. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Cornicen

I got my '03 in Dec. '03 for $7080 out the door. There was a Honda rebate at the time. I would say no on the extended warranty, but if you want one anyway they are negotiable in price if your barter with the dealer. The center stand is a personal preference. I don't like them but I own a rear stand. Good luck and be patient.

Motorusher formally known as DirtySanchez919.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Mc 9er

i think i paid like8 sumthin in 04,and no i didn't get an ext warr,i figured its a honda so its bulletproof anyway and i'm ok with my side stand, good luck with your choice, theres a poop load of info on here so ask away

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #4 of 18 Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Tirone

the centerstand is not needed but always nice to have. i would think that yes as the 09's come in a they would have to get some room for em. and 19 919's is a LOT! i would say you could get cheaper than that. try em and try em keep trying to go lower. that is cheap though and it would be worth to get one for that but if they got that many im almost sure that they would knock a little more off. and also the warranty is a no go i wouldnt get it. this site is filled with 919 questions and they arent to many problems with em. its more like im gonna post pictures of my last ride or lets modify something guys. hardly any problems with em. good luck and keep us posted on if you got it or not! good luck

post #5 of 18 Old 08-27-2008, 08:53 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I would say don't worry about the extended warranty and don't get the center stand. Get a rear stand for maintenance. I'm at 22,000 miles and valves are still in spec, so I honestly don't know what you would need the warranty for. How long would the warranty last, because it'd need to be worth you getting a lot of work done, and there isn't much to do.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #6 of 18 Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

You "no center stand" guys crack me up. Obviously you don't ever plan on removing more than a wheel. That said, just cuz you have it doesn't mean you have to haul it around with ya. I'd explain but it falls on deaf ears or folks already know what I am talking about. Either way.. if you skip the factory center stand, there are a few other options.. there is a member here that makes a nice maintenance stand and there is also an after market option. Can't go wrong with any of the 3 or more choices. Someone will pipe in, and name names.. I know it when I see it but forget the spelling... and I try not to post incorrect information if I can help it. Or do I? Hummmm? Anyway, I too use a rear stand when it is prudent.. so get one of those too... unless you don't have any intention of doing your own work.. the bike can be parked just fine with a side stand.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #7 of 18 Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Red Rider

T-Rex brand stands can be had on eBay for front and rear set for right around $100. Forget about that high priced factory pain in the you know what!

I agree with the others on the warranty though, pretty unlikely that you will need it. I also think the later it gets in the season the cheaper that bike will be, 19 of them is a LOT for one dealer to set on!!!!

Good luck and welcome.

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #8 of 18 Old 08-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

An extended warranty will just end up being an expensive piece of paper you will never use.

On the other hand, a permanently there center stand is endlessly useful and I strongly recommend it. Regardless of whether you intend to do your own major maintenance or not, you will undoubtedly want to lube your chain, maybe change the oil, check the rear tire for problems, and have a more stable way to park on questionable surfaces. All that, and I can squeeze a couple of extra tenths of a gallon into the tank on the centerstand. There are no worries about grounding it in a corner either -- I have bevelled footpegs and no chicken strips, but the stand has never come anywhere near dragging.

Talk the dealer down if you can, but get one even if you can't -- you will not regret it!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #9 of 18 Old 08-28-2008, 03:20 AM
Franklin McGillacutty

Well as far as price goes I bought my 07 in march of 08 for 6,999 out the door. She was new in the box.

post #10 of 18 Old 08-28-2008, 03:53 AM

A dealer here in Dallas (Al Lamb's Honda), just sold their last 919 for $6499 + TTL. That will give you a reference point. After owning MANY Honda's (car's and bikes), I'd say the extended warranty is a waste of money.

post #11 of 18 Old 08-28-2008, 04:43 AM
Unbannable

Honda is really bad at paying out on their warrenty. Don't get it.

I paied $8500 OTD for a new 06 in 06.

post #12 of 18 Old 08-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Talk the dealer down if you can, but get one even if you can't -- you will not regret it!

Rob
Use your buying leverage to get a centerstand. It's worth it in the long run. Ask them to throw it into the deal at no extra cost. If they flinch, tell them you'll pay them their cost for it if they install it on the house. They want to get rid of an '07 model they've been paying interest on for all these months. Be firm but courteous.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-28-2008, 05:32 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

$7300 for my 07 last year. Had to search around to find a new one here. Only a couple left. Looks like you hit a jackpot. The centerstand is a great idea. Like Cycho said, you don't need to mount it. I'm guessing it isn't too much hassle to put it on and take it off for maintenance. I wish I had one. Rolling the bike back and forth to lube the chain blows. I guess it just depends on your wallet. GP style stands can be had for the cost of the center stand but won't help you park it on a ride.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #14 of 18 Old 08-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Bought the '03 as leftover in Feb '04 for $6,998. Extended warranty has never been used with 35K on the clock. Centerstand is a must if you are going to tour. If not, then get a track stand for the garage. JMO.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #15 of 18 Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 PM

That price sounds very good! I paid $6660 plus tax and title for my 07 last June.

post #16 of 18 Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 PM
I had a H-D

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

No to the Extended warranty, buy a PHOBMAN center stand!...I bought my used 06 in Oct of 06 for $6300 with under 500 miles. No need for the warranty....

post #17 of 18 Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Not too swift

What dealer in Chatty? Was it Southern? If so, haggle with those guys. With that many 919's in stock and the 09 lineup trickling in that floor space is worth more with an 09 CBR1000RR on it than an 07 919.....

I personally had a bad buying experience there in late 06, but that was at a time when they did not have any 919's on hand and they told me yeah, no problem ordering a new 07 919. Once I got started with the paperwork, they told me it could be 4 to 6 months before they could deliver the bike. I went to Honda of Athens, TN the next Saturday and bought a used 2003 919 w/ 2100 miles for $5k and that afternoon ran across an 04 in the TN Trader for $4300.

2003 Honda 919, Carbon Sato's, PCIII-USB planned asphalt gray
2007 Majestic Blue NISMO KC, 4x4, 6-speed, Gibson catback, Clarion DUZ385SAT
2007 Trek EX8-Custom parts build by me for me
1992 Nissan 240sx- SR20DET swap, HKS intake, exhaust, and SSQV, VLSD, S14 Silvia JDM seats(super comfy), Exedy clutch
post #18 of 18 Old 08-30-2008, 01:31 PM
I Love Parallel Twins

I wish I had gotten the centerstand for the 9er when I bought mine. Money well spent and it goes with you wherever you go. I like to use a centerstand when the asphalt pavement gets hot. I have walked out to my bike on the side stand too many times that had sunk into the parking lot an inch. I've even had a bike fall over while on it's side stand.
Never had a problem while using the centerstand in the past on other bikes but I have now taken to carrying a kickstand pad.
GET IT

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode