Questions for Ohlins/Penske Owners (Install, Settings) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 08-07-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Questions for Ohlins/Penske Owners (Install, Settings)

Gents,

So I let the whole project simmer for a bit after my setback with the F3 rear shock. For a while, I was seriously considering just selling the separate suspension pieces I'd acquired, going back to stock (suspension) on the bike, and selling the bike to get something like a Speed Triple. While I might still do that, I'm having second thoughts. Although it is a tad down on power, the 919 has pretty much everything I want, and it's treated me real well. So, with that, I'm actually considering wrapping up the project by just coughing up the cash and buying either an Ohlins or a Penske, and calling it a day.

(The Ohlins is now a bit more uncertain, as I'm still waiting for an answer from Dan Kyle - when I spoke to them tonight, they weren't sure if they could get a higher spring than 180 for the HO201, and I'd need more than a 180, being 230lbs in gear. They were investigating and going to get back to me. That last 190 LDH was talking about is now likely gone.)

But before I do, a few questions please :

1. Anybody have pictures of their install? I'm most interested in the grinding or hacking needed to get the new reservoir to fit inside the plastic piece that holds the stock one. I did search (always do), but haven't found much. A lot of the times in the older threads, the pictures aren't available anymore (third-party hosts);
2. For those of you with the Ohlins, is it possible to get pictures of the hose routing, and of the mounting, for the hydraulic preload adjuster?
3. Could you guys list the settings you used?

Many thanks!

2006 Honda 919
2003 Honda RC51 (sold)
1989 Yamaha FZR400 w/ stock, YZF600, and 661cc engines (661 = YZF600 bottom end, FZR600 top end) (sold)
1986 Yamaha TZR250 (sold)
1989 Yamaha RZ350 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Optio

Garage
I first set the sag according to the directions. For the rebound and dampening, I honestly do not remember the number of clicks, LDH helped me get it dialed in. I will try to get some pics of the finished product for you. Honestly, cutting the hole is easy. The reservoir goes in the stock location but the hole just needs to be enlarged. I used a dremel with a conical cutting bit. Took 3 minutes. For the preload adjuster, I put it under my seat and zip tied it to the frame. I never carry a passenger and my weight doesn't really change either. I am a set it and forget it kinda guy. I am sure that altering it on the fly would be good, but I am happy with where it's at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #3 of 6 Old 08-08-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Did you put the reservoir house on the inside or the outside?

Also, stock settings are on a sheet of paper included with the shock, right?

Just ordered the shock tonight - got their last 190 spring!

post #4 of 6 Old 08-10-2017, 02:33 PM
The Instigator

If you're ever going to get a centerstand, now's the time. Makes shock changes a piece of cake once the rear wheel is off.

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #5 of 6 Old 08-11-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I have to order that from the dealer, I presume? Is it expensive? And does it work with the single-sided exhaust setups?

post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2017, 02:39 AM
Tesserarius

I put a Used Ohlins on my 919, years ago. I remember getting tie Bank Angle Sensor put on sideways. The first time l rode it, the bike would die every time I gunned it. My friend thought that was funny.

My only other in put is: write down your base settings, but don't be afraid to make some minor adjustments.

I have an Ohlins on the 599. Pretty cool set-up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode