Question on drilling Renthals - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 07-16-2008, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Question on drilling Renthals

I know that I should measure the old bar and the new one to figure out where to drill, but the bar on my bike is a beat up Pro Taper Cr Hi bar. It was there when I got the bike and it looks like it is too short and that they drilled and mounted the controls by the throttle starting on the bend of the bars. Any ideas on how to come up with where I should drill? I will try to get pics up later today.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Red Rider

For the throttle housing side I actually used a tape measure and just measured to the center of the tab for where to drill but the left side was a little trickier! You need to measure your grip and gap if you want one, then measure the distance from the outside of the left housing to the center of the tab and add the two measurements together and you will have the total distance in to drill your hole! Just take your time and measure a couple of times and think it through before you actually drill and you will be fine, it's not rocket science, just close to it

As for the rotation on the bars of the 2 housings, I just took a good look at how they were situated on the stock bars with them off and laying flat on my table upside down and tried to put them in the same spot on my Renthals!

Like I said, take your time and think it through and you will be fine!!!!!

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #3 of 10 Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Tirone

I can get you some measuements when I get home this afternoon I you need me too. i just intalled renthals this past week end. I did not drill all the way through the bar just enough for the controls to fit flush.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Red Rider

P.S.

Drill at least one pilot hole and then go to a larger bit if not 2 sizes before you drill your final size, just a precaution! Good Luck......

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #5 of 10 Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Gearhead

For the throttle side I snugged up the two clamping screws after I got the controls where I wanted them, and then just moved the unit back and forth enough so the locating pin made a mark where to drill. On the clutch side I didn't bother, just dremeled the locating pin off.

On the throttle side I had a real bad kink in the brake line, so I cut off the tab on the master cylinder that kept the line from being rotated to where I wanted it.

post #6 of 10 Old 07-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

masking tape on the bar and a dab of paint or marker on the pin/nipple/what ever you want to call it. loosely clamp it down where you want it so that the paint or marker transfers. drill hole on the mark and like stated before, start small on the hole and work your way up to the correct size.

The masking tape serves a dual purpose;
1 - for transferring the hole location
2 - for keeping the drill bit in place helping you when you first start your hole.

post #7 of 10 Old 07-16-2008, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Gracias for the great replies, there is a plethora of information on this site.

post #8 of 10 Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

well I finally got to try this and so far......not so good. I measure off the old bars and the throttle side is okay. The clutch side is further up on the bar than the throttle and for some reason the housing is at a different angle than the throttle side. Came out really ****ty, so far. Probably goin to have to re measure and drill the clutch side.

post #9 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Aight mas update here.

I couldn't get the clutch side control where I wanted it, so I dremeled the nub off. I then placed it where I wanted it and used doublesided rubber tape to hold the control from moving around. I now have a hybrid renthal bar. Partially drilled and partially unnubbed. Mas bueno. I also like the new bars, changed the riding and really changed the feel of pushing the bars into a turn. Thanks for all the help.

post #10 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 11:47 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman View Post
well I finally got to try this and so far......not so good. I measure off the old bars and the throttle side is okay. The clutch side is further up on the bar than the throttle and for some reason the housing is at a different angle than the throttle side. Came out really ****ty, so far. Probably goin to have to re measure and drill the clutch side.
thats why I use that transfer method. Measurements don't come into play and if the nubs are clocked differently for left and right you don't have to worry about it. Just drill where the mark is and your done! Not that it matters any more, sounds like your happy with things and that is all that matters! Glad to hear that you like them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode