Question for all you 919 Flat BLACK owners - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Question for all you 919 Flat BLACK owners

I am considering buying a used 2004 919 in light silver

http://rci.rutgers.edu/~szwarc/bike/

for $4200- it's got 9500 miles (is this a good deal?)

Thing is, for me I LOVE the flat black color (I believe this was only available 2002-2003?) But I want the adjustable forks that were only available from 2004+. Was a 2004+ available in FLAT black?

Assuming not, I was considering some options:
(mostly wondering about item 1a and 1b)

1. Powdercoat the tank flat black and get some OEM honda 'wing' decals
a. On your Black 919, are the decals under some sort of clearcoat (I would assume this would no longer make it flat black..) - is it a sticker or painted on?
b. will the decals even stick on the flat powdercoat finish
c. would it be safe to assume a flat powdercoat finish would resemble the stock finish?
e. how durable would the decal be?
f. I guess I would spraypaint or have somone paint the remaining plastics in flat black. Is this a bad idea since the plastic sometimes flexes causing cracks in the paint?

2. TRADE
a. If anyone is willing to trade a perfect set of silver tank and plastics for your black ones that would probably be best. This would be my best scenario. I would even pay for shipping for your parts.

3. Wait it out, look for a 2004 model in flat black if one exists, or wait for an older one and re-do the forks, either RC51 forks or just having them tuned up (rejetted?)

Thanks for all your help this

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

seems like a good deal to me. Go ahead and get it. You can always"accidentally" wreck the bike and get insure to pay for your new paint job. .

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #3 of 24 Old 09-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Tirone is the Cool Dude

That looks like martin s's bike from metuchen.

The price seems in line. Paint or powder coat should be fine, I am not sure the plastic fender can take the heat of powder coat though. (check that) There is a company that makes a raised metal wing logo and honda nameplate that would work great and look good too. (it is sold to be stuck on over the original decal under paint) The original paint had the decal under the topcoat finish as it was a two step process. Most paints have additives available for use on flexible surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_shindogg View Post
I am considering buying a used 2004 919 in light silver

http://rci.rutgers.edu/~szwarc/bike/

for $4200- it's got 9500 miles (is this a good deal?)

Thing is, for me I LOVE the flat black color (I believe this was only available 2002-2003?) But I want the adjustable forks that were only available from 2004+. Was a 2004+ available in FLAT black?

Assuming not, I was considering some options:
(mostly wondering about item 1a and 1b)

1. Powdercoat the tank flat black and get some OEM honda 'wing' decals
a. On your Black 919, are the decals under some sort of clearcoat (I would assume this would no longer make it flat black..) - is it a sticker or painted on?
b. will the decals even stick on the flat powdercoat finish
c. would it be safe to assume a flat powdercoat finish would resemble the stock finish?
e. how durable would the decal be?
f. I guess I would spraypaint or have somone paint the remaining plastics in flat black. Is this a bad idea since the plastic sometimes flexes causing cracks in the paint?

2. TRADE
a. If anyone is willing to trade a perfect set of silver tank and plastics for your black ones that would probably be best. This would be my best scenario. I would even pay for shipping for your parts.

3. Wait it out, look for a 2004 model in flat black if one exists, or wait for an older one and re-do the forks, either RC51 forks or just having them tuned up (rejetted?)

Thanks for all your help this

post #4 of 24 Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

There might be a 2002 Matte black or sale which has the 2006 adjustable forks plus a ton of other mods. Interested?

post #5 of 24 Old 09-04-2008, 09:59 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

That is a good deal for that bike. I'd get it. Maybe offer 4 even, see what happens.

The "asphalt black" 919 was an '02 model color only. No other years so don't wait, you won't find one.

We all run around here calling it flat black, but it isn't really. It's actually more like an eggshell finish, with very subtle tiny metal flake in the black paint.

I checked my OEM stickers and they appear to have no overcoat of any kind. Just stuck right on.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #6 of 24 Old 09-05-2008, 12:20 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy S View Post
The price seems in line. Paint or powder coat should be fine, I am not sure the plastic fender can take the heat of powder coat though. (check that) There is a company that makes a raised metal wing logo and honda nameplate that would work great and look good too. (it is sold to be stuck on over the original decal under paint) The original paint had the decal under the topcoat finish as it was a two step process. Most paints have additives available for use on flexible surfaces.
Not to totally dispute your post Timmy, but here's my

The price is decent, I paid $4200 for my '02 with 4000 miles 18 months ago. Powdercoating is not an option for the plastic fender, you can only powercoat metal items. I'm not heard of anyone powercoating a tank, but I suppose it could be done if they carefully taped off all the vent, hose and filler openings. Considering powercoating uses electrical current and high temperatures, they'd have to remove all traces of gasoline from the tank first obviously. The Honda wing decals on the flat black bikes like mine are stuck on top of the paint, not under clearcoat like on the other colors. I've considered removing the wings and 919 decals on the rear cowl, but I know the paint will be faded underneath, something I learned when I removed the caution sticker by the gas cap.

post #7 of 24 Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
There might be a 2002 Matte black or sale which has the 2006 adjustable forks plus a ton of other mods. Interested?
Geez Mike.. whatever! How much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
... The "asphalt black" 919 was an '02 model color only. No other years so don't wait, you won't find one.
2003 also came in asphalt and an equally groovy matte smoke color.

the_shindogg,

Just buy it and then order a new tank, tail and fender from Ron Ayers or the like. Sell your silver on eBay to cover at least half your cost. I have to agree with you.. the asphalt color is by far the best OEM color the 919 was offered in.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #8 of 24 Old 09-05-2008, 02:54 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:

Now this is the bike to have!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Tirone is the Cool Dude

Ooops...

Oops. I kinda figured the flat black was like my candy red (burgundy as my dealer key was labeled) in that the decal was under the topcoat. I did see once the two paint "colors" required to paint this finish and one of them was a matte/clearcoat. Sorry. Indeed if it was stuck on I would have removed the decal on mine as I removed the decals off the tail (mine was a new '07 at the time and you could actually see where the decal was! it buffed out.).

They do use a special tape to mask off unwanted areas for powdercoat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Not to totally dispute your post Timmy, but here's my

The price is decent, I paid $4200 for my '02 with 4000 miles 18 months ago. Powdercoating is not an option for the plastic fender, you can only powercoat metal items. I'm not heard of anyone powercoating a tank, but I suppose it could be done if they carefully taped off all the vent, hose and filler openings. Considering powercoating uses electrical current and high temperatures, they'd have to remove all traces of gasoline from the tank first obviously. The Honda wing decals on the flat black bikes like mine are stuck on top of the paint, not under clearcoat like on the other colors. I've considered removing the wings and 919 decals on the rear cowl, but I know the paint will be faded underneath, something I learned when I removed the caution sticker by the gas cap.

post #10 of 24 Old 09-05-2008, 06:53 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy S View Post
Indeed if it was stuck on I would have removed the decal on mine as I removed the decals off the tail (mine was a new '07 at the time and you could actually see where the decal was! it buffed out.)
Instead of saying faded paint under the decal, I should have said that the exposed paint was faded and the paint under the decal was much darker. After repeatedly hand buffing with polishing compound and waxing (yes, in spite of what they recommend, you can buff the flat black and wax it as well) it's now barely noticeable. I'm afraid that the larger wings and rear cowl decals would leave a much more apparent paint difference, so until it's time for a total repaint I think I'll leave them alone.

post #11 of 24 Old 09-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:

sold it yet??

post #12 of 24 Old 09-05-2008, 07:32 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

mikes teasing us, he aint gettin rid of his pride and joy

post #13 of 24 Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
sold it yet??
Not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
mikes teasing us, he aint gettin rid of his pride and joy
I'm serious, trust me

post #14 of 24 Old 09-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Not yet

I'm serious, trust me
Gettin' too old huh?

Final chapter to the legend?... or maybe you got ur eye on a new scooter?

Gotta say.. I ride the 9er less n less now.. that zx-14 is so insane.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #15 of 24 Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

The silver '04 you're looking at looks nice, but that seat is a mess. It looks like the guy tried to recover it himself. The price is decent but not a steal. If you really want a black one with newer suspension, give MisterMike a call. I'd practically guarantee that it's in better condition than the '04 you're looking at and it already comes with the exact color and suspension you want, not to mention it has a better seat, exhaust, etc.

post #16 of 24 Old 09-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Gettin' too old huh?

Final chapter to the legend?... or maybe you got ur eye on a new scooter?

Gotta say.. I ride the 9er less n less now.. that zx-14 is so insane.
The final chapter will be when I'm history. I have my eyes on this scoot.

post #17 of 24 Old 09-05-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for everyone that replied. Didn't think I'd get so many responses.

Mike- Definately interested, please email me info and asking price to [email protected]. looking for the normal bike buying questions:

mileage estimate-
are the tires stock? How much tread life is left?
oil changes - how often and when was the last?
bike is in good mechanical condition? - can I ride it home?
clutch life and wear?
brake life and wear?
does it have any chain cam tensioner rattles (CCT) - I used to have a F4i with this problem- a known issue with some Hondas not sure about the 919

As for the Ron Ayers tank option- to these tanks come with the factory finish and decals attached? $470 is a bit steep but I guess if I sold the old one it would offset the price. (think I can get $200 for it?) same for rear cowling.
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...roup/FUEL_TANK

thanks again y'all

post #18 of 24 Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
The price is decent, I paid $4200 for my '02 with 4000 miles 18 months ago.
Two weeks ago I paid $4200 for my 02' with 4600 miles on it, so it's pretty consistant.

I got no time for the jibba-jabba. - Mr. T
post #19 of 24 Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

check out the chartreuse green on Craigslist. minimal miles $4800. They all seem to hold the value in the $4500 range somewhere. Personally, I like my smoke.

Having the tank and pieces painted is the other option to powder and works well. Cost$? I'm betting $600 plus decals for matte black (more for a flecked semigloss)

post #20 of 24 Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The decals that were on the tail of my 02 appear to have been under a matte clear coat. I assume the tank decals are as well.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #21 of 24 Old 09-08-2008, 05:40 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

peeled mine off my 07, little bit of tinting under the stickers (the tail section 919 and HONDA) oh well, not that noticable.
oh, its red, duh.

post #22 of 24 Old 09-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

if mike's is sold, there might be another...02, w/ adj forks, tons of mod and 2nd set of flat black body work for sale

post #23 of 24 Old 05-02-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

still lookin, anyone with a bike for sale please email [email protected] I am in NJ and can travel a reasonable distance to pickup

post #24 of 24 Old 05-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Milites Gregarius

I bought my 04 stock for 4600 with 1200 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode