Question about 919 forks - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 09-28-2009, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Question about 919 forks

I started playing around with the preload and dampening on my front forks this afternoon and noticed something. From factory the preload adjusters are turned 90 degrees from one another. That is, on one side the flat sides point left to right. On the other side, they point from the front of bike to rear. However, when I checked the dampening adjusters, they are lined up perfectly (the adjustment marks on the adjusters both point in the 12 o'clock position). Interestingly, the stickers on the adjusters are in alignment as well (that is when the adjusters are still 90 degrees different).

I decided that this was in error and turned one of the preload adjusters to match the other. As a result, the dampening adjusters pointed in different directions (even though they were both 1 turn from full h). Took the bike for a quick ride and it just felt weird (just a little)...like the front end wanted to go right. Therefore, I set it back the way it was.

My question is, is this normal? If not, what should I do? My initial thought is to set the preload where they are even, back both dampeners off an equal amount and not worry about where the marks point relative to the other, but then again, it just didn't feel right.

I'm sure somebody will have a quick answer for this newb, so thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Hastatus Posterior

The preload is set by judging how many "rings" are visible on the stem going into the forks.

post #3 of 10 Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
The preload is set by judging how many "rings" are visible on the stem going into the forks.
Yes, my concern is that one of my forks is set by factory to be 1/4 turn further in than the other one. If I make them even, my dampening adjusters point in different directions...just seems odd.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Sike

There are bikes that have the dampening on one leg and the rebound on the other. With that in mind, I really don't think that you have much to worry about. Get it close to what feels right to you, and then start experimenting from there. By the way, I think that the newer FZ1's are an example of what I'm talking about (McCrimmon???). And, sorry if I misspelled your name, again...

post #5 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
Yes, my concern is that one of my forks is set by factory to be 1/4 turn further in than the other one. If I make them even, my dampening adjusters point in different directions...just seems odd.
Each time I have one or the other fork seal replaced (long story--don't ask...), I get the same thing you're seeing. It just depends on how the tubes were positioned physically (not mechanically) before the 'triple tree' was tightened. I'd worry (not really, just in a 'thinking' way) more about the settings being equal from a mechanical point of view as opposed to an aesthetic one.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #6 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 AM
McTavish

Trekker,

All the matters is this:
That preload adjuster height is same for both forks.
Ring count is the simple way.
Or you can use a vernier or ruler if you are aiming for between two rings but eyeballing is good enough.
That the Rebound Adjuster screws are the same number of turns out from full closed.
Full closed is clockwise turning of the adjuster until you can just detect it bottoming out.
Too much Rebound is the biggest damping adjustment mistake that any one can make.

Sandy in Calgary is mcromo44

post #7 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
It just depends on how the tubes were positioned physically (not mechanically) before the 'triple tree' was tightened. I'd worry (not really, just in a 'thinking' way) more about the settings being equal from a mechanical point of view as opposed to an aesthetic one.
Hi Trekker,

Things ARE supposed to look symmetrical, right?

After reading Brevity's post, I think you may want to loosen the tube which appears "off" in the triples and twist it 90 degrees, so that it lines up the way your eye tells you it should. even adjustment is important, but the aesthetic look (which this would correct) will set your mind at ease...and I think that will take care of your confidence issue. You should be able to do this in 20 minutes or less, and you'll feel a lot better once you're done.

After reading lots of posts here, from lots of folks (many who's opinions I respect) and examining my own foibles, I honestly think the biggest obstacle to better riding performance is overcoming the little things that impact a rider's confidence level... Good luck!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #8 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 12:27 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I honestly think the biggest obstacle to better riding performance is overcoming the little things that impact a rider's confidence level... Good luck!
Exactly. I ran over something (I've since concluded it was a rock) Monday and it made a fairly loud popping sound. I did a few little weaves to see if it felt like one of my tires was going down. Didn't feel odd, but I pulled over a few miles down the road to check them...you know...the real scientific way or kicking and glancing over each tire to see if anything stands out. Anyway, didn't find anything, but the entire ride home, I couldn't settle into any of the good corners like usual. Checked the pressure at the house and it was spot on for after ride pressure so on my Tuesday ride, my confidence was back for my tires and the same corners that felt like crap Monday were awesome on Tuesday.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 12:51 PM
new 919 pilot

quick question(s): If I'm >230 lbs and don't have the cash for appropriate aftermarket springs yet, should I set the preload on the front shocks so I can see more rings? How much rings is considered maximum? Right now I'm at 3 rings and dampening set at almost high, and I'm no pro rider but the front end feels less squishy and more planted from when I first got the bike (1 ring, medium dampening).

post #10 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentax View Post
quick question(s): If I'm >230 lbs and don't have the cash for appropriate aftermarket springs yet, should I set the preload on the front shocks so I can see more rings? How much rings is considered maximum? Right now I'm at 3 rings and dampening set at almost high, and I'm no pro rider but the front end feels less squishy and more planted from when I first got the bike (1 ring, medium dampening).
Quick answer: The links forum has a link to Suspension set-up. It is a good read.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode