Project Nighthawk 700sc meets cafe style. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 02-05-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Project Nighthawk 700sc meets cafe style.

I have a 84 Honda Nighthawk 700sc, it needs some work I'm waiting on OEM manual to arrive and intend on starting my rebuild process. I have to figure out the starter issue and replace all the motor gaskets and seals ( I have oil leaks coming from just about every spot on the engine ) and might as well change out all the fluids and put fresh fluids in. I need help with the starter issue mainly on how to diagnosis or test each part to see if its working properly? And any helpful advice on what to watch out for and what not to do would also be great. I have attached a picture of what the bike looks like now. Thank you.

ForumRunner_20120205_140015.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

as far as the starter goes,
make sure your bat. is fully charged.
turn key,
hit button,
see what happens.
starter turns stop diagnosis.
if starter does not turn,
check fuses. good fuses,
does starter relay click once, multiply times or nothing.
if once look at starter, more than once check battery, if nothing OMG, could be relay or switch.
If you have a multi meter hook ground lead to ground side of battery with meter on VDC.
all test point have negative wire on ground and move the positive wire for meter.
1)check at battery side of starter relay needs bat. voltage. if good go to 2 if not go to 5
2)then move to starter side of relay push the starter button needs to have bat voltage.if good go to 3 if not go to 6
3)then check the + terminal on stater needs bat. voltage. if good go to 4 if not check 5
4)if those are good check to make sure the engine ground is grounded.
5)bad battery wire or loose wire
6) dirty/bad starter switch or related wires

let us know where that gets you.
pretty sure thats it for a basic starting circuit this is not model specific

post #3 of 14 Old 02-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Actually, the 700S has a history of snapping the starter/alternator chain. The other thing is that you don't want to cafe that bike, the front end geometry doesn't lend itself well to that - and they're pretty rare, so please don't ruin another one.

How do I know? I own one.

It has a few modifications... like HID lighting, all LED lighting other than that, custom Hel stainless brake lines, couple of other things.

What's the starter doing or not doing? Also, the 84 model was known to have defective cases (among other problems) and it suffers from oil leaks and the main chain snapping.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #4 of 14 Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

3dcycle, I will try that and let you know what I end up discovering. I've got a mechanic buddy that's coming over this week to help me out. Thanks for the info.

post #5 of 14 Old 02-06-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Cb700s, I get what you're saying about keeping the bike original and I can see how the rake angle would make having lower straight bars a difficult ride. I did already have plans on getting it restored to factory specs and looks, and may keep the bike as is once done. I just really liked the look of a cafe bike and once I seen someone take and turn a Nighthawk into a cafe style bike , I couldn't help but want the same thing. Again nice restore on yours, mind if I message you about the bike, it would be good to have someone to talk with; that has the same bike.

post #6 of 14 Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by project84cafe View Post
Cb700s, I get what you're saying about keeping the bike original and I can see how the rake angle would make having lower straight bars a difficult ride. I did already have plans on getting it restored to factory specs and looks, and may keep the bike as is once done. I just really liked the look of a cafe bike and once I seen someone take and turn a Nighthawk into a cafe style bike , I couldn't help but want the same thing. Again nice restore on yours, mind if I message you about the bike, it would be good to have someone to talk with; that has the same bike.
It isn't just the rake, it's the fact that the steering head is pretty high up. Ends up looking really, really odd and not like a cafe racer at all. And most flat bars have problems clearing the tank.

Sure, you can message me about it. There's also a forum that specializes in Nighthawks and has lots of 700s on it, PM me for details.

2002 Honda 919
post #7 of 14 Old 02-06-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle
as far as the starter goes,
make sure your bat. is fully charged.
turn key,
hit button,
see what happens.
starter turns stop diagnosis.
if starter does not turn,
check fuses. good fuses,
does starter relay click once, multiply times or nothing.
if once look at starter, more than once check battery, if nothing OMG, could be relay or switch.
If you have a multi meter hook ground lead to ground side of battery with meter on VDC.
all test point have negative wire on ground and move the positive wire for meter.
1)check at battery side of starter relay needs bat. voltage. if good go to 2 if not go to 5
2)then move to starter side of relay push the starter button needs to have bat voltage.if good go to 3 if not go to 6
3)then check the + terminal on stater needs bat. voltage. if good go to 4 if not check 5
4)if those are good check to make sure the engine ground is grounded.
5)bad battery wire or loose wire
6) dirty/bad starter switch or related wires

let us know where that gets you.
pretty sure thats it for a basic starting circuit this is not model specific
Its the starter motor "WooHoo ". Did what you said and got one click and just for fun I checked voltage on the wire connection to starter and its good just a bad motor. Next thing please

post #8 of 14 Old 02-06-2012, 11:34 PM

Garage
Check to make sure the engine is still free and that one of the chains hasn't popped (and piled up in the case - often when that happens, getting it to start means a cracked case at best.) Clean off the top of the engine carefully, remove all four spark plugs, put the bike in gear and turn over the engine with the rear wheel. While on the centerstand with the wheel in the air, of course.

2002 Honda 919
post #9 of 14 Old 02-07-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Cb700 bike runs and works fine I just have oil leaks is that last test really necessary? I mean I do have to replace most if not all gaskets and seals. I guess I should be asking is do what you said before or after the engine rebuild?

post #10 of 14 Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Tirone

I bought a CB700 on craigslist with this very intention, here was my concept. Ended up realizing the geometry was no good for any type of mod, and flipped it for a profit after cleaning up the carbs.

post #11 of 14 Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar8
I bought a CB700 on craigslist with this very intention, here was my concept. Ended up realizing the geometry was no good for any type of mod, and flipped it for a profit after cleaning up the carbs.
I guess the reality is just in the looks. *sad* oh well I still love the bike and definitely will get it back to original status, it didn't look bad factory just liked the idea of a cafe racer bike. Well back to work.

ForumRunner_20120207_125012.jpg

post #12 of 14 Old 05-22-2014, 01:19 AM
Tirone

Whats the website for that nighthawk site?

post #13 of 14 Old 05-22-2014, 01:39 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
It isn't just the rake, it's the fact that the steering head is pretty high up. Ends up looking really, really odd and not like a cafe racer at all. And most flat bars have problems clearing the tank.

Sure, you can message me about it. There's also a forum that specializes in Nighthawks and has lots of 700s on it, PM me for details.
What website are talking about? Thanks

post #14 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 07:33 AM

Garage
It used to be nighthawk-forums.com, but they seem to be having server/admin issues at current.

Many of the people who used to be at NHF started a new board, http://www.ujmforum.com/

2002 Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode