Problem with 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Problem with 919

Need advice. Something's wrong with my 9er. It's sputtering/cutting out when approaching triple digits. Almost like the rev limiter is kicking in but that's not it, revs are only 6-7K. It pulls strong all the way up to about 95 mph then the sputtering starts. My first guess would be plugs but the bike only has 15k miles. I wouldn't think it would need plugs that soon but what the hell do I know. If a plug is bad wouldn't it miss across all rpm ranges? I haven't changed anything on the bike in months.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
Need advice. Something's wrong with my 9er. It's sputtering/cutting out when approaching triple digits. Almost like the rev limiter is kicking in but that's not it, revs are only 6-7K. It pulls strong all the way up to about 95 mph then the sputtering starts. My first guess would be plugs but the bike only has 15k miles. I wouldn't think it would need plugs that soon but what the hell do I know. If a plug is bad wouldn't it miss across all rpm ranges? I haven't changed anything on the bike in months.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Steve
Don't know what they specify for the service intervals in the US, but 15k miles = 24k km's, which is a major service: valve clearances & spark plugs. But still, that doesn't sound like it could be your problem.

post #3 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 01:01 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Are you receiving any error lights on the gauges?

Do you have a PCIII? If so, you may want to try disconnecting it.

Bad/old gas? - Been there done that. Learned to fill up at reputable stations only.

Fouled plug(s) - Been there, done that. Mine was caused by a fuel line clamp being left on the fuel return line and causing a super rich condition. See this link too...fouled plugs yet again - Wrist Twisters

Those are my best guesses.

Also, I experienced similar issues when I had a wire going to one of my coils break. It was broken only inside the jacket so the wire looked good, but occasionally lost connection. It would sputter and lose power, similar to hitting the rev limiter, then kick back in for a bit, then puke out again. Eventually, after about a mile or so of doing this, trying to limp back to the office, it just ran on two cylinders only.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #4 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 01:02 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Air filter or fuel filter? I don't know why it would only do it at a certain road speed, usually it's the engine RPM. Does it do it in several gears, or only in one gear?

post #5 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i am gonna bet............ bad gas or completely clogged air filter....

you don't have a airbox full of acorns do you?"?

post #6 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Are you receiving any error lights on the gauges?

Do you have a PCIII? If so, you may want to try disconnecting it.

Bad/old gas? - Been there done that. Learned to fill up at reputable stations only.

Fouled plug(s) - Been there, done that. Mine was caused by a fuel line clamp being left on the fuel return line and causing a super rich condition. See this link too...fouled plugs yet again - Wrist Twisters

Those are my best guesses.

Also, I experienced similar issues when I had a wire going to one of my coils break. It was broken only inside the jacket so the wire looked good, but occasionally lost connection. It would sputter and lose power, similar to hitting the rev limiter, then kick back in for a bit, then puke out again. Eventually, after about a mile or so of doing this, trying to limp back to the office, it just ran on two cylinders only.
Bike is all stock except for cosmetic stuff. Filled up with exxon gas and the problem didn't change. It only happens in 6th gear running WOT but it is very noticable then. My first instinct is to swap plugs but I would think it would miss at all rpm's if it was plug related? I need to check the coil wires I guess, that seems a likely culprit. I did have my big crash back in september. Me and the bike slid down the highway at 70 mph for a ways but it has ran perfect since I got it out of the shop. I think I'll go ahead and change the plugs this weekend and try to check all the wires and go from there.

Thanks for the help guys!
Steve

post #7 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 01:51 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Bike is all stock except for cosmetic stuff. Filled up with exxon gas and the problem didn't change. It only happens in 6th gear running WOT but it is very noticable then. My first instinct is to swap plugs but I would think it would miss at all rpm's if it was plug related? I need to check the coil wires I guess, that seems a likely culprit. I did have my big crash back in september. Me and the bike slid down the highway at 70 mph for a ways but it has ran perfect since I got it out of the shop. I think I'll go ahead and change the plugs this weekend and try to check all the wires and go from there.

Thanks for the help guys!
Steve
good luck with the #3 plug.... go to the dealership and spend the 8 bucks on the proper honda tool... it will make your life easier....

or don't

and then please set up a video camera so we all have somethng funny to laugh at as you attempt to remove that bastard without success and then set it on fire in your frustration...

post #8 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacojerte View Post
good luck with the #3 plug.... go to the dealership and spend the 8 bucks on the proper honda tool... it will make your life easier....

or don't

and then please set up a video camera so we all have somethng funny to laugh at as you attempt to remove that bastard without success and then set it on fire in your frustration...
Ha! I remember your post on that a while back. Lmao! I won't attempt it without one. I'm not known for my patience anyway. Already called the dealership but they are backordered. If anyone has a spare I'd be happy to paypal ya, otherwise I guess I'll try ebay.

Steve

post #9 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Ha! I remember your post on that a while back. Lmao! I won't attempt it without one. I'm not known for my patience anyway. Already called the dealership but they are backordered. If anyone has a spare I'd be happy to paypal ya, otherwise I guess I'll try ebay.

Steve
#3 plug is not that big of deal, just get a flex swivel for your rachet and you'll be fine.

post #10 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

buddy up to the mech and borrow it from him, could work dude

post #11 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
#3 plug is not that big of deal, just get a flex swivel for your rachet and you'll be fine.
Scott, that's good to know, thanks. I already have one somewhere. Finding it in a reasonable amount of time is another matter entirely. Luckily there's a northern tool right up the street.

Steve

post #12 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 03:13 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

As for running worse in 6th at WOT...

This may be off mark, but WOT in 6th at 5 - 6K RPM would probably be running pretty rich.

post #13 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Optio

Does it do that at WOT in other gears? I've had a partially clogged fuel filter that only caused problems when I really hit the gas. Just a guess.

post #14 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
Does it do that at WOT in other gears? I've had a partially clogged fuel filter that only caused problems when I really hit the gas. Just a guess.
I've only experienced it in 6th gear WOT when I was at or near triple digits.
It runs great in normal non-holligan mode. I can lift the front wheel at will.
No power problems whatsoever in the lower gears. I'm going to experiment tonight and see if I can duplicate the problem in 5th gear WOT.
I'll post up the results tomorrow. Leave it to me to come up with some weird never been seen before problem.

post #15 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Banned

It's time for the service. Plugs, air filter, all the normal stuff.

I bet it runs better than ever once that is done, if it is done properly.

Found this handy little chart someone made up for you 919'ers

The little chart within the chart is the Honda flat rate times, in hours, for each of the services.

For a good price estimate at a shop, take the hours times the labor rate and double it to cover parts/misc.

That will give you a really close dollar amount to budget, usually on the high side.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919maintpage.jpg (71.2 KB, 394 views)

post #16 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Sike

Quote:
I've only experienced it in 6th gear WOT when I was at or near triple digits.
It runs great in normal non-holligan mode. I can lift the front wheel at will.
No power problems whatsoever in the lower gears. I'm going to experiment tonight and see if I can duplicate the problem in 5th gear WOT.
I'll post up the results tomorrow. Leave it to me to come up with some weird never been seen before problem.
Like usual around here, I'm going to have to solve this mechanical problem!!!

As the other have said, kind of, your bike needs a full service. Until you have done that, trying to solve this problem could be a complete waste of time. So, please do the service, all of it, and then get back to us. If you still have a problem, I'll gladly tell you what is wrong, then.

PS--- If anyone thinks I'm serious about that first line and last line, get help or drink less.

post #17 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Ballaholic

lol who is that creepy dude on the honda sheet?

post #18 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 06:48 PM
McTavish

Exactly when did it first start happening, and what event can you think of that just preceeded that time frame ?
Has the condition got worse with time, or is it the same as when it started acting up?
These some of your first questions.
I see you had a major getoff with battle damage, but it ran great after the repair.
What were the electrical (wires & connectors, switches and sensors) elements of the repair, if any?
What were the fuel and air intake elements of the repair, if any?
Perhaps some of that recent work has failed and is part, or all of the cause of your present problem.

post #19 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Steve

I appreciate all the advice. I think I'll do the service like many of you sugested and see where it's at after that. I needed to do that anyway. I don't reallly think the problem has anything to do with the getoff 3 months ago. It has ran perfect since getting it back from the dealer until this week.The frame-sliders did their job. All the damage was cosmetic. Probably just needs a set of plugs, we'll see. I'll post up the cure once I figure it out.

Steve

post #20 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Optio

Fair warning -- thread jack.

Just noticed you were in Dallas. What part?

post #21 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Quote:

I live in Mesquite, work in downtown Dallas @Lincoln Center. Ride the bike to work everyday on the hov. What about you?

Steve

post #22 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 07:54 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:

the texas part.............................................. ........

sorry couldnt help it

post #23 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Optio

That was one you should've resisted, paco.

I'm on the border of Richardson/Garland. Work at Juvenile Detention (watch out, paco) off I-30 & Hampton. Ride to work most days it's above 45 in morning and not raining (i.e., not so much lately). We should hook up for a joy ride some weekend. Just don't expect me to have a Honda tool for that #3 plug!

post #24 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
It looks like that creepy guy that kept posting lots of pictures of scooters and an old goldwing. Obviously it's NotUJM!

post #25 of 55 Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Quote:
That was one you should've resisted, paco.

I'm on the border of Richardson/Garland. Work at Juvenile Detention (watch out, paco) off I-30 & Hampton. Ride to work most days it's above 45 in morning and not raining (i.e., not so much lately). We should hook up for a joy ride some weekend. Just don't expect me to have a Honda tool for that #3 plug!
Cool, yeah we should hook up sometime. I'll pm ya my cell and I promise not to hit ya up for the plug tool. I try to ride everyday even in the cold unless it's pouring rain cause it saves me $7 parking and I can take the hov which saves me a ton of time and frustration. Supposed to be 29 in the morning but I will gear up for it so I can get to work in 17 mins instead of an hour or more in my truck.

Steve

post #26 of 55 Old 12-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Gets censored

Dallas traffic is the worst. Just moved back to Fl, was living in McKinney. Miss the country roads though we don't have much like that here in the bay area.

post #27 of 55 Old 12-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Tirone

k d makes a long spark plug socket with an attached swivel extension and a magnet that holds the plug on,you wont believe how easy it makes changing the plugs on the 919. sears has them online in three lengths,make sure to get the long one.

post #28 of 55 Old 12-15-2009, 06:48 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

can't you use the sparkplug wrench in the tool kit? i'm pretty sure that's what i used

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #29 of 55 Old 12-15-2009, 06:54 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
can't you use the sparkplug wrench in the tool kit? i'm pretty sure that's what i used
they quit putting it in the tool kit.... but yes that is the tool.... worth twice its weight in gold....

post #30 of 55 Old 12-15-2009, 07:01 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

that explains alot i wondered what "the tool" was

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #31 of 55 Old 12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzperk View Post
k d makes a long spark plug socket with an attached swivel extension and a magnet that holds the plug on,you wont believe how easy it makes changing the plugs on the 919. sears has them online in three lengths,make sure to get the long one.
Sounds like a stocking stuffer to me. I'll have to look it up and email the link to the spouse. Much better than my annual lump of coal.

post #32 of 55 Old 12-16-2009, 06:01 AM
CG

It's in the optional (on later 919s) tool kit. I bought the optional tool kit after getting my '07 919 and it has the plug wrench.

Links for online purchase in this thread:

https://wristtwisters.com/want-buy/21...-tool-kit.html

post #33 of 55 Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 PM

My 1st guess was a plug too - cracked ceramic maybe?

post #34 of 55 Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Who, me?

If you're going to do plugs, 2 things: get the plug tool from Honda (mine came with one in the tool kit) and get new plug wires and boots. I found the boot on #3 cracked. It was causing low rpm stumbles, but still could be a problem.

Contact me for AMSOIL products!

www.rmbsynthetics.com

If it ain't broke, keep fixing it 'till it is...
post #35 of 55 Old 12-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Looks a lot like this dude, eh?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SteveThanksgivin05med.jpg (103.7 KB, 216 views)

post #36 of 55 Old 12-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Ballaholic

is that you??

post #37 of 55 Old 12-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
is that you??
I think I am prety sure that is "UJM" aka Honda919Rider back in 2005.

Me, I am notUJM

I swear this one winked at me -

post #38 of 55 Old 12-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

post #39 of 55 Old 12-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

post #40 of 55 Old 12-23-2009, 07:50 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Where is the best place to get plug wires/boots from? can you get them for the 919 in any color other than red?

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode