Pricing - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 3 Old 08-04-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Pricing

Guess what I am going to say will be no surpise and nothing that we already know, I guess I just want to vent a little...

The new naked Suzuki 1000 thread had me looking at pricing for nakeds. No surpise that Honda is the most expensive of the Jap 4 (I am talking pricing in NZ, the figures will be different, but I am guessing the same outcome or principle will apply in the US?).

The new Suzuki is very well priced. It is reasonably priced, what you would expect to pay for a new bike of that caliber. In other words Suzuki has got it priced right, IMO.

6 years ago, in 2009, when the CB1000R was released in NZ, it had a price tag for about $20K on it and for a short while it actually went over 20K.
Then 2 years later, when it wasn't selling, they dropped it down in order to shift 2 year old stock at $15K (non ABS models).

Fast forward to 2015 and Suzuki is selling a, what looks like an ABS and traction control as standard, model at NZ$17K (and usually you can still make some deal with the Suzuki dealerships here). Take inflation into account and Honda was selling the CB1R at much more than 20K in today's money for what is now 6 years later.
Even Kawasaki is selling the new Z1000 (with ABS) at NZ$17K.

Both smaller companies than Honda and both selling their newly designed 1000cc nakeds with more bells and whistles for much less than Honda.

Honda stopped bringing in the CB1R, I guess it was either embarrasment or arrogance at getting the pricing wrong. They are only selling the retro CB1100 at NZ$18 000 in the 1L naked class.
The only other thing comparable to that is $16 000 for the Bonneville T100 Black (the top model), for the standard Bonneville it is NZ$14K. So $2000 to $4000 less for an European retro bike (depending on model), from a company that is dwarfed by the giant Honda.

So lets compare the CB1100 with the new Suzuki and new Kawasaki (as the CB1000R is no longer sold in NZ). We will leave the new MT09 out, as we can argue that it is or isn't in the 1L class, but is still NZ$4000 cheaper than the CB1100, selling at NZ$14K.

With both the Suzuki and the Kawasaki we are getting new engines (ok, the GSX uses the 2005 GSXR motor, but its still designed in this century). From what I understand the Z1 has a brand new motor. They both have ABS. The Suzuki (not sure about the Z1) has traction control. Brand name brakes like Tokico or Brembo brakes. Basically, we are getting new, fresh up to date bikes, with, you could say cutting edge, contempory technology at a reasonable "it makes sense" price.

What does Honda offer us for NZ$1000 more retro bike? Lets see. Its almost 40 year old air cooled engine (I supposed its been "dusted off a little" and sharpened here and there) and basically that is it. The rest of the bike is typically put together in the ol' parts bin Honda style. Oh, but you do get dual disc brakes in the front, one at the rear and telescopic front forks, it says on their (NZ) website. What, you were thinking of giving it drum brakes and no suspension?!?!

At least the Bonneville is realistically priced, maybe that is why they are selling.

I just cannot understand (I do know why) how Honda can sell what amounts to at least a 30 year old bike, for more than what the competition is selling its brand new, up to date bikes, with ABS, traction control, etc.

Honda's R&D must be puny on the CB1100 compared to what Kawasaki and Suzuki must have put into their GSX and Z1000. The CB1100 is a retro bike, it really is an old CB750 with an 1100 motor. Yet, somehow, its more expensive.

There's some poor bloke that is trying to sell his 6 year old CB1000R in the local classifieds for NZ$14K. Why on earth would anyone in their right mind go and pay that for a 6 year old bike, with no warrantee, if you can go down the road get a brand new Suzuki or Kawasaki, for NZ$3000 more, with 6 years worth of newer technology (and kick-ass power figures), warrantee and back-up and finance?
I know why he is trying his luck, he must have paid $20K for it when it was released. I can't see him getting that for that bike, as others are listed between 9 and 11.

I guess this is why Honda has rediculous pricing. There's enough people out there that will pay these silly prices for their out of date products.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-04-2015, 04:24 PM
Pilus Posterior

This was stated as an issue with the 919/Hornet. It was said that the cost was because of trade rates for the EU.

Pricing it tough because some countries can't sell their product in other countries without paying fees.

This is one of the reasons I buy used. Sad that Honda can't be more competitive.

post #3 of 3 Old 08-04-2015, 05:07 PM
Left of Centre

I'm not a fan of the styling, but if I was in the market, bang-for-buck this one would get my attention

Kawasaki Z800 LAST NEW ONE AT $10995 2014 | Trade Me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode