predecessor of the 919? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

predecessor of the 919?

I realize this is a bit on the old side, has anyone heard anything else recently regarding a 919 replacement?

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/13june07_topspec.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

post #3 of 22 Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
No, no, you got it wrong. Most people like to upgrade when replacing a bike...silly async...

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #4 of 22 Old 08-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Centurion

The predecessor of the 919 is the 600 Hornet which was derived from the Hornet 250.

post #5 of 22 Old 08-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
The predecessor of the 919 is the 600 Hornet which was derived from the Hornet 250.
Speaking of the Hornet 250, does anyone know if it's possible to import one from Japan? It's a sweet ride, and I'd love to get one for my wife... The 250 VTR is also really cool looking... I know nothing about the grey market...

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #6 of 22 Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Cafe Racer

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

I was wondering the same thing about the CBR 125, my girl wants one.
I know you can get them in Canada, is it possible to import it to the States?

post #7 of 22 Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Centurion

A Repsol 125? I want one

post #8 of 22 Old 08-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

It's a headache. The bike must meet the EPA standards for the USA. They will require the manufacturer stickers that indicate all that stuff to be in place on the bike. I'm not sure if bikes originally sold in other countries will have the USA stickers on them though. I almost imported a track bike from Canada that was originally from the USA. I gave up because the owner didn't have the title and that was one of the requirments for brining it to the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARROSART View Post

post #9 of 22 Old 08-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Cafe Racer

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

man, too bad they don't sell anything smaller than a Ninja 500 in the states.
My girlfriend is 5'1"

post #10 of 22 Old 08-11-2007, 05:16 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

You know I don't quite understand this. You can go out and buy an offroad bike or build a bike (OCC) get it inspected apply for a title and there you go. Why couldn't you just do something like that with a non-DOT bike imported? Just tell the registration people its a custom bike.

What do you think?

post #11 of 22 Old 08-11-2007, 06:13 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
man, too bad they don't sell anything smaller than a Ninja 500 in the states.
My girlfriend is 5'1"
I have read that you can lower a SV650 about 2" using links in the rear and sliding the forks up the clamps in the front, supposedly without causing too many adverse effects to the handling. You can shave another 2" off the seat padding, which then makes the bike suitable for very short riders. I've been considering checking that out for my girlfriend who stands 5'2" and is always feeling out of place on her Vulcan 500 when we're riding with the sportbikes.

post #12 of 22 Old 08-11-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
One of my friends at work has one just like that. I'll find out what he had to do to import it.

post #13 of 22 Old 08-11-2007, 06:44 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

That little hornet 250 is cool. One of the website's I came across said it was a 4 cylinder. Does anyone know if thats true?

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #14 of 22 Old 08-12-2007, 07:00 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Doesn't Kawi have a Ninja 250? http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=200

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #15 of 22 Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Title

Hey Cajun, I think the reason why the import wouldn't work is because that vin # would show up not sold in the USA. However if the lady at the counter is talking to her kids on the phone while she handles your paper work, it may go thru. If it goes thru once ,it's here for good.
When I bought my 919 last month, the Insurance lady was talking on the phone while she copied my paperwork as I watched. A week later I got a letter that said the State and the insurance were at odds about the bike being a legal vin #. I took the Sales slip and the insurance card and and looked at the bike headtube vin# and sure enough, the lady didn't type what she looked at. Easy to straighten out. The manager said that happens a lot when someone reads the # over the phone. Yes it does I said. She was on the phone with someone else while I stood at the counter and watched her.

[
post #16 of 22 Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 AM

Don't kid yourself ... the cbr125 is hard to get a hold of here in canada too.

I been trying my ass off. Dealership got 4 in they were sold within 1 hour.

post #17 of 22 Old 08-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Optio

Garage
+1 for them being hard to find in Canada. My buddy got one of the 9 my local dealer got in and before they arrived they already had 4 sold.

post #18 of 22 Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 PM

Well, I talked to my friend about how he got his CBR125 and it didn't come from Canada. He found it on Ebay. Some guy apparently brought it into the country in pieces from some other county. So, not a high volume type situation, at all.

post #19 of 22 Old 08-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

couldnt a dealer special order it from honda and havve it through all the red tape to get it in? it may be pricey buyt shouldnt a dealer be able to sell any bike that its mother company makes? id not i have no idea why they cant and its rediculous

-Pat McG
post #20 of 22 Old 08-14-2007, 04:03 AM
Tirone

Yes, yes you can import from Canada as I have a 2002 Canadian Hornet that I got new for $6500 ( better exchange rates then). The dealer got a letter from Honda Canada stating that all the emission data was the same. He also had a letter stating that Canadian taxes did not apply. As I live in northern Vermont and my bro lives even closer to the border we used his truck ( easier as reg. etc. can be done later). The biggest hastle at the border was the person was not schooled in ite import stuff so she had to keep calling someone else. I think the duty was in the order of $130.
The biggest hastles came later. I had all the required paper work but the folks in the DMV had difficulty in providing me a title. It took close to a month!
The biggest problem to date is in 2005 Dairyland contacted me saying that they couldn't find my VIN. Told "em" to look in the Canadian data base to which they said " oh my we can't insure your bike" to which I said "##&@!"
Then why did you cover it for 3 years. I finally talked to a manager who agreed that as I have been a customer for 20+ years and had the hornet covered for 3 years that they would continue to cover it for me. Now I don't think I can sell it in the states!! I don't know if all insurers have this policy but I would suggest that you check it out first.

Good luck
John

post #21 of 22 Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Cafe Racer

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

Thanks, we'll look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbear View Post
Yes, yes you can import from Canada as I have a 2002 Canadian Hornet that I got new for $6500 ( better exchange rates then). The dealer got a letter from Honda Canada stating that all the emission data was the same. He also had a letter stating that Canadian taxes did not apply. As I live in northern Vermont and my bro lives even closer to the border we used his truck ( easier as reg. etc. can be done later). The biggest hastle at the border was the person was not schooled in ite import stuff so she had to keep calling someone else. I think the duty was in the order of $130.
The biggest hastles came later. I had all the required paper work but the folks in the DMV had difficulty in providing me a title. It took close to a month!
The biggest problem to date is in 2005 Dairyland contacted me saying that they couldn't find my VIN. Told "em" to look in the Canadian data base to which they said " oh my we can't insure your bike" to which I said "##&@!"
Then why did you cover it for 3 years. I finally talked to a manager who agreed that as I have been a customer for 20+ years and had the hornet covered for 3 years that they would continue to cover it for me. Now I don't think I can sell it in the states!! I don't know if all insurers have this policy but I would suggest that you check it out first.

Good luck
John

post #22 of 22 Old 08-14-2007, 04:34 PM

The first time I saw a 125RR was at the local dealer (here in Canada). It was already sold but they are out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode