Pre-purchase questions:bags and fumes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 09:33 AM
larry krieger

Pre-purchase questions:bags and fumes

Hello all, just joined and happy to be hear. I'm a long time rider of all kinds of stuff, found a couple of good 919's I'm interested in. Questions:
1) I'm assuming people have solved the saddlebag problem (no place to cinc them down), either with soft or hard-mount bags. Just reassure me on that, and if you have a good solution sure, include it as well.

2) I read that some riders find they're breathing the bike exhaust; that would TOTALLY take the fun out of it for me. Is that a function of the speed you're going, or what? And is there a fix if it's a real problem, other than moving the pipes????

Thanks, Larry K. Tallahassee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 09:34 AM
larry krieger

ps, i can spell, really, and 'hear' is a word ya know!

post #3 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 09:38 AM

RC90's long lost brother???

Sorry dont know anything about your post. Welcome though.

post #4 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Hi Larry and welcome to the forum!

I picked up an '06 919 in August of this year. I haven't tried to get saddle bags for it, but find that a tank bag and a Cortech Sport Tail Bag will hold everything I need and are more versatile.

As for the fumes, the bike runs rich by nature but this can be dealt with with a PCIII and exhaust mods if needed. It doesn't bother me at all. Manly cologne as far as I'm concerned - but it's really not *that* noticeable.

Enjoy your stay here - lots of great folks and great info here!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Unbannable

The issue is overblown I'd say. Ride any bike for an hour and then sniff your jeans and it will have some funk.

On the first tank of gas I was kinda stinky but after that it went away. You certinly won't smell it as you ride. I have an 06 too.

In 2004 they got a new map. I think the problem was much worse on the older models.

post #6 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 10:14 AM
larry krieger

prepurchase . . fumes

thanks folks. So you're saying this fumes thing is mainly about noticing it on your clothes? I notice that a lot with various bikes, though not every ride certainly. I'm concerned about getting spaced out breathing CO and all that stuff, or being distracted being aware I'm breathing not-air. If it's only confined to my jeans or jacket smelling like they've been riding, been there done that, none the worse for wear that I can tell.

How much is cost of the FI III mod if it's too rich, kncluding install??

post #7 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Givi makes a rack that will hold both a top case and hard cases on the side. I've seen some other people use a heat shield and soft saddlebags.

I have never smelled exhaust while riding. The smell is more noticeable to me in my clothes, most noticeably my mesh jacket. I ride it to work every day, though, and haven't had any complaints from my workmates.

You can find a PCIII for around 300, less if you shop around. Install is very simple, something you do on your own. Check out their site.

www.powercommander.com

-Joe
post #8 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
1)Tank-bag and backpack
2)fumes only noted on clothing

I replaced my exhaust with a 900rr system. No more smell, except on my passenger (on the rare occasion when I have a passenger

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #9 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
In 2004 they got a new map. I think the problem was much worse on the older models.

Where are you getting your info?!? Don't want to be throwing out erroneous information now do we.

post #10 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

well my 04 stinks up my backpack and jacket to the point if my riding gear is left in an enclosed environment like a laundry room the stink will overpower you when you walk in. I only smell the bike while setting at stop lights, flapper mod done doesn't change smell either. I've rode other bikes with and without under tail exhausts and they didn't make this type of perfume, seems like some are immune to it and some people are not.

post #11 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Hey Steve, I can't find anywhere that lists an EFI map change for the 04 model. Where'd you dig that nugget up? Cycle World and Motorcyclist are oblivious to such a change, and even Honda's own site doesn't list it with the changes made to the 04 model.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #12 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post

On the first tank of gas I was kinda stinky but after that it went away. You certinly won't smell it as you ride. I have an 06 too.
Of course this is a fact if you never shower. The smell will naturally become overwhelmed by your own personal body stank.

This subject has been beaten to death.....some have it some don't. I do but I don't let it bother me. If it bothers you try one of the million problem solving solutions posted throughout time. 900rr exhaust, PCIII, after market pipes, exhaust extensions, 18 wheeler pipes, a can of Febreeze taped to your butt that can be remotely triggered at stop lights.

It's your call

post #13 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I use Ventura luggage. Easy on/off. 5 minutes is all it takes and your back to stock, or you're set for two weeks of travel. Sport kit available also for around town stuff.

As far as the stink the timing on this is weird. I've had it every since I purchased the bike ('02). I took the day off today since the weather was nice for Kentucky this time of year. Did 368 miles today. Before I started I dropped the idle on the bike. It seemed to have crept up lately to 1400 per the tach. Dropped it to 1200 where I remember it when new. Throttle control was a little better, but I did notice the stink was gone. May just be because it's colder outside.

I know, never set idle per the tach. Whatever.

Buy one, you'll like it.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #14 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 07:06 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

I have Givi Voyager soft bags, no problems getting them tied down and no melting problems with stock exhaust. I've never noticed the smell.

post #15 of 15 Old 12-14-2006, 07:43 PM

i have a niner the stink only is an issue for my passenger. I havent personally noticed it. As far as saddlebags, i have those too, they anchor to each other and when pulled snug dont move at all. Works fine, clearly they are of the soft variety. Rapid Transit i believe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode