Power Commander to get rid of the stink ? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 06-16-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Power Commander to get rid of the stink ?

Is it realistic to expect reduced stink by using a PC ?
The bike is stock.

The map is completely separate from the unit, as I understand previous posts. Is there a 'map' to lean the mixture across the entire range ?

This is cold country and the stink is pretty bad during warm-up. Different fuels do not seem to help.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Check here.

official-919-exhaust-stink-thread

EDIT:

On second look, there doesn't seem to be any help for the PCIII in there.

post #3 of 23 Old 06-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Naked bikes = Perma-grin

I added a power commander to mine when I added slipons. I live in MN with many cool mornings spring and fall. When running stock I would get to work and my office would stink like exhaust for the first couple hours from my riding gear.

Now with the PCIII and the Dan Kyle Sato tune it has improved greatly/huge. Plus the trottle response is better. Shoot the whole bike runs better.

I still get the smell a little but greatly reduced.

post #4 of 23 Old 06-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt 919 View Post
I added a power commander to mine when I added slipons. I live in MN with many cool mornings spring and fall. When running stock I would get to work and my office would stink like exhaust for the first couple hours from my riding gear.

Now with the PCIII and the Dan Kyle Sato tune it has improved greatly/huge. Plus the trottle response is better. Shoot the whole bike runs better.

I still get the smell a little but greatly reduced.
+1 to it all

post #5 of 23 Old 06-16-2010, 08:39 PM
son of a batch of cookies

no change to mine with the pc3.....still stinks bad

post #6 of 23 Old 06-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Milites Gregarius

Does one brand power commander work better than the other?

Or does it depend entirely on the fuel map?

post #7 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 06:25 AM
CG

Tuning your bike based on stink is not a good idea. You could easily end up with a poor running bike (definitely sub-optimal) and eventually a damaged motor.

The best (and I believe only) cure for the stink is a 900RR exhaust conversion or 4 -> 1 low exit exhaust.

IMO, any other alleged cures are really just different riding conditions, clothing, body shape, windshield options that are more or less prone to highlight the problem.

I have not done the exhaust conversion yet though I probably will. I love the way it runs with Satos, PCIII, and the Dan Kyle map so I'm hesitant to change anything even though I have a nice 900RR header with a Black Dragon custom can ready to install if I decide I'm ready. If I do swap the exhaust, I'll also get a custom map done for it to ensure I'm getting the most out of it. The expense of getting the dyno tune has been a deterrent. I expect to actually lose performance somewhere if I switch from the Satos, one reason I have not done it.

post #8 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Gets censored

Ive wondered about the exhaust smell issue plenty of times, every chick Ive dated tells me I smell like exhaust from every bike Ive had..... Nature of the beast is what Ive came up with. Its like a fancy cologne that says "I rock"

post #9 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Ive wondered about the exhaust smell issue plenty of times, every chick Ive dated tells me I smell like exhaust from every bike Ive had..... Nature of the beast is what Ive came up with. Its like a fancy cologne that says "I rock"
, and I'm a Bada$$...... My wife says the same thing about the stink. But with owning all classic bikes up to this point, she is so use to it she no longer complains.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #10 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Gets censored

I had one that accually got turned on by it, she was a keeper but Im more of a sport fisher. Catcha and release kinda guy.

post #11 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Princeps Prior

I ran my bike with the Two Brothers single can....and the PCIII-USB zero map. (didn't have time to load the new map)

The bike ran horribly rich at idle...and stunk bad. Installing the correct map made a HUGE difference.

You don't have to 'lean' out the PCIII map to make it not smell, you just need the bike to run right....not tooo lean, and not tooo rich. (and even then....its going to smell a little bit)

.........I'm sure if you purchased the PCIII-USB and had a custom map made... it would smell less.... but why not buy a nice exhaust first --- then have the map made. Buying the PCIII, then running a pre-made map not tailered to your bike (even though it is stock) will only get you in the ball-park. The only true way, is to have the map custom tailored to your bike.

post #12 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Gets censored

^ Agreed. He may be one of those guys that accually likes the quiteness of the stock exhaust.

post #13 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Discen

I cannot say as I never had a PC3, But I live in Nova Scotia (basically the same climate as you) and I only rarely ever had the exhaust stink problem, Maybe a hand full of times I can recall saying to myself that it was bad.

I had an 04 with stock cans and everything and never had the problem, or maybe I'm just not a sensitive as some people on here haha, Even when it was bad it never actually made my jacket smell like it.

Anyways, I would think changing the map to something that runs leaner would help abit, but you'd have to change the exhaust to get rid of it almost entirely (single pipe, low mount) but then again I'm just guessing.

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
post #14 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 03:10 PM
CG

A stock 919 with an exhaust mod and a map created for the 919 with that exhaust sorta has a custom map for that bike with that exhaust.

If you think Hondas vary much from one identical bike to the next, I think not.

I could be wrong and invite anyone with first hand dyno experience to enlighten me. Until then, I doubt I could do any better than the Dan Kyle map with my stock 919 and Satos.

Just my

post #15 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I haven't heard any of ya'll mention the PAIR block off plates. Those are what made the stink entirely go away for me. Like....completely. I got home after riding for four hours nonstop and had my wifey do the ol' sniff test, and NOTHIN! Best $28.95 I've spent so far on the 9er.

Kyle Racing block off plates for 929/954/F4/F4i/600RR/919/1000RR - Welcome To Kyle Racing's Online Store

Questions about installing them, let me know. I just did the mod two weeks ago.

post #16 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Oh, and as strange as this may sound, switch to running just regular 87 octane gas. No high octane stuff, that makes the stink worse, too.

post #17 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher919 View Post
I haven't heard any of ya'll mention the PAIR block off plates. Those are what made the stink entirely go away for me. Like....completely. I got home after riding for four hours nonstop and had my wifey do the ol' sniff test, and NOTHIN! Best $28.95 I've spent so far on the 9er.

Kyle Racing block off plates for 929/954/F4/F4i/600RR/919/1000RR - Welcome To Kyle Racing's Online Store

Questions about installing them, let me know. I just did the mod two weeks ago.
.... thats weird as the PAIR system pulls fresh air in allows the catalytic converter to do its job better by burning off any excess stuff. I may have to try getting some caps to temporary try it out and see if it gets rid of stink tho.

post #18 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicsoldier View Post
but you'd have to change the exhaust to get rid of it almost entirely (single pipe, low mount).
Ive got the single out low RR setup and I still stink, yes I shower. I did the mod cause I like the old school look though not for the stink. The stink to me has just been A part of riding with all my bikes... I just thought thats how it was. Intersting post about the PAIR plates I would've thought they'd have the opposite affect.

post #19 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 04:51 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher919 View Post
Oh, and as strange as this may sound, switch to running just regular 87 octane gas. No high octane stuff, that makes the stink worse, too.
+1, I started running super, then plus and now I'm at regular and the stink is gone. (I never had it that bad to begin with, lucky I guess)

post #20 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 05:06 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
A stock 919 with an exhaust mod and a map created for the 919 with that exhaust sorta has a custom map for that bike with that exhaust.

If you think Hondas vary much from one identical bike to the next, I think not.

I could be wrong and invite anyone with first hand dyno experience to enlighten me. Until then, I doubt I could do any better than the Dan Kyle map with my stock 919 and Satos.

Just my
I agree, but as to the variance, I've NEVER had the stink. Before PCIII, after PCIII, then even when I put the new Delkevic pipes on.

post #21 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the feedback !!

Wow ! Thanks for the info.

The Dan Kyle map with Satos seems to be the standard. I indeed like the silent stock cans. But if I have to choose I prefer less stink over more noise.

I will keep using low octane from now on.

Maybe try the plates as well. Interesting concept.

post #22 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankygoes View Post
Wow ! Thanks for the info.

The Dan Kyle map with Satos seems to be the standard. I indeed like the silent stock cans. But if I have to choose I prefer less stink over more noise.

I will keep using low octane from now on.

Maybe try the plates as well. Interesting concept.
ya... the 919 only needs 87... so run it... i have found running premium (91) results in HORID STINK outta my bike.

Also you dont have to buy the pair places... auto zone or any other autoparts store will have vacuum caps that will work on the stock pair housing... ill pick some up next time im at my local auto parts store.

post #23 of 23 Old 06-18-2010, 05:17 AM
Sheepdog

Of course running lower octane fuel is going to result in less "stink;" higher octane means it's less combustible, so there fore more unburned raw fuel in the exhaust (that's how high octane fuel prevents pre-ignition in higher compression engines.)

And you know what I call a guy that is worried about how he smells after riding his motorcycles?
Spoiler:

NANCY!

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode