power comander - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 12-08-2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

power comander

im going to change the stock cans would i need a power comander as well also does any one have any advice wich cans to get i was thinking of miv , scorpion,arkapovik but i have heard about exust mounting braking with aftermarket cans put on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-08-2008, 12:27 PM
CB900 Hornet

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You don't neccessarily need a PCIII. It's only for fine tuning your setup or having the flexibility of various maps. Though it has only done good to anyone who already has it installed.

As of now, the only two company still making cans for the 9'ner that replaces the oem y-pipes are Leo Vince and Termignoni. All other exhaust setups are slipons.

Where did you hear exhaust mounts breaking? My Satos' mounting tab didn't even crack when I crashed at 25mph.

post #3 of 30 Old 12-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

You can never go wrong with SATO's...Quality and performance are Top Notch

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #4 of 30 Old 12-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 toes View Post
im going to change the stock cans would i need a power comander as well also does any one have any advice wich cans to get i was thinking of miv , scorpion,arkapovik but i have heard about exust mounting braking with aftermarket cans put on
maryland mike just changed his exhaust out for a single sided one.. and the dyno man said he didnt need a pc3...

i have a single sided exhaust and a pc3..

i don't know.

post #5 of 30 Old 12-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
maryland mike just changed his exhaust out for a single sided one.. and the dyno man said he didnt need a pc3...

i have a single sided exhaust and a pc3..

i don't know.
Seems like even if you dont' need one, like Sturmman said anyone may benefit if you want to try different set-ups....like maps for power and others for better fuel efficiency. If you do get one and there is no map available for your specific setup that someone else has done you would have to go to a tuning center and get a custom map made with your bike on the dyno. The guy I went to charges $275 to make a custom map, so it would have been another almost $600 for a PC3 and a custom map. I just paid him $50 to evaluate how my bike was running by monitoring the air fuel ratio, at some points from idle to wide open. Lucky for my wallet...I didn't need one.

You may want to see what existing maps are available for the exhausts you are considering so you will know your options are.

Good luck!

post #6 of 30 Old 12-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

If you have a PCIII USB you can download any map available right off of the PC site. You will notice a difference with it...ie; smooth throttle response, smooth power delivery and in alot of cases, better fuel economy as it fine tunes all power ranges

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #7 of 30 Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Broken exhaust mounts have been reported since the original 900 Hornet went into production. It has happened with stock and aftermarket cans. Lots of speculation as to why but never a definitive conclusive answer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broken exhaust mount.jpg (508.2 KB, 52 views)

post #8 of 30 Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Lots of speculation as to why but never a definitive conclusive answer.
it was elves... rotten little cookie makin elves!!

post #9 of 30 Old 12-09-2008, 08:57 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post

The Powercommander is a good idea even if you have the stock exhausts. It gives you better throttle response & a more linear power delivery throughout the rev range.

If JetBlast doesn't mind I can hook you guys up with some killer Holiday Sale Prices on the Sato stuff and Powercommanders. If I am breaking the rules then just delete this post.

post #10 of 30 Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Discen

what's this about deals?

post #11 of 30 Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmell762 View Post
what's this about deals?
Yeah, what's this you say about deals? I'm still holding out hope that I'll get a Christmas bonus this year.

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #12 of 30 Old 12-10-2008, 11:12 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

PM Sent

post #13 of 30 Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
The Powercommander is a good idea even if you have the stock exhausts. It gives you better throttle response & a more linear power delivery throughout the rev range.

If JetBlast doesn't mind I can hook you guys up with some killer Holiday Sale Prices on the Sato stuff and Powercommanders. If I am breaking the rules then just delete this post.
+1 Picked up my set up through you guys there Mike and the price was great...Beat any other deal I could find at the time

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #14 of 30 Old 12-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
Yoshi's

post #15 of 30 Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Tesserarius

Howd'ya get 9 toes? crash the bike?

post #16 of 30 Old 12-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Unbannable

Do you want cheap chinese electronics running the brain of your bike or something Honda engineered?

PCIII's will take a dump the stock one almost never will.

post #17 of 30 Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Do you want cheap chinese electronics running the brain of your bike or something Honda engineered?

PCIII's will take a dump the stock one almost never will.
First off what Honda engineered is a 3D mapping that is designed to appease the EPA and force your bike to burn fuel in a manner that limits emissions & noise rather than burining fuel for optimal combustion and power.

Second, I've got PCIII's on every single fuel injected bike I have now or have ever owned. That makes 6 in the garage right this second and I've never had one fail.

I've sold literally thousands of them and I can think of maybe 3 that have ever actually failed. Almost every call I have had about a PCIII that won't work has turned out to be problems with the installation and not the Powercommander itself. It only takes a modicum of mechanical knowledge to install one, but some people are just devoid of that...

Third, the PCIII doesn't ruin the brain of anything. It is a piggy back system used to alter the injector dwell time by intercepting & altering the signal from your bikes ECU not replacing it.

post #18 of 30 Old 12-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Sike

[QUOTE=Lord Duckhunter;260805]

Second, I've got PCIII's on every single fuel injected bike I have now or have ever owned. That makes 6 in the garage right this second and I've never had one fail.

QUOTE]

I have had at least 5 bikes now with PCIII's and zero problems. Plus, after a custom map, it is amazing how much better the bike runs in all situations. I think I have gotten far more benefit from the daily running improvements than the outright performance, given the percentage of time I use each of those.

post #19 of 30 Old 12-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
First off what Honda engineered is a 3D mapping that is designed to appease the EPA and force your bike to burn fuel in a manner that limits emissions & noise rather than burining fuel for optimal combustion and power.

I've sold literally thousands of them and I can think of maybe 3 that have ever actually failed. Almost every call I have had about a PCIII that won't work has turned out to be problems with the installation and not the Powercommander itself. It only takes a modicum of mechanical knowledge to install one, but some people are just devoid of that...

Third, the PCIII doesn't ruin the brain of anything. It is a piggy back system used to alter the injector dwell time by intercepting & altering the signal from your bikes ECU not replacing it.
LDH, good to see you around.

I am running a PCIII USB, Sato gen IIs, & your 2nd rev Sato gen II map. My bike is hard to start. I have to turn the throttle while cranking to get it to start sometimes. This has not always been the case, & seems to happen most when the weather is cold & the bike has been sitting (but has also done it on warm days & after I stop for a Coke & go to start the bike again--engine still warm).

There are many like me on this board & some have removed the PC & say it fixes the problem. I have not tried this, nor do I want to abandon the PCIII.

I soldered my throttle position wire & sealed it up good with heat shrink tubing. I also have not messed with any buttons, dont use the acel pump, & have tried setting my throttle min &max positions.

Any help?

post #20 of 30 Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Any help?

I'm obviously not LDH, but I can tell you my experience. My Warrior and Busa both had downloaded maps and neither of them had outstanding fuelling (better performance, but some glitches in fuelling). It was kind of a trade-off between the performance and the glitches. My ZX10 and my 919 both have custom maps, and the biggest difference is in the day-to-day running. I highly recommend dyno tuning to everyone. I think there is just too much variation from bike to bike for downloaded maps to "always" work. I'm willing to bet that almost everyone who has their bike dyno tuned by a talented tuner will be amazed by the overall improvement.

Just my experience.

post #21 of 30 Old 12-15-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOBMAN View Post
Howd'ya get 9 toes? crash the bike?
difrent bike

post #22 of 30 Old 12-16-2008, 09:21 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
... I'm willing to bet that almost everyone who has their bike dyno tuned by a talented tuner will be amazed by the overall improvement.

Just my experience.
Thank you, Sike. I'm on board with the idea of adding PC to my stock 9. Sooooo...now what? I just go to every dyno tuner in So Fla and ask, "Are you talented?...No?...Just mediocre?...Yeah, you do look a little slow, can you recommend someone smarter than you?"

Can you give me a little more to go on? Are there specific guidelines someone should give the tuner? Specifics that someone should look for from the tuner, etc?

post #23 of 30 Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
Thank you, Sike. I'm on board with the idea of adding PC to my stock 9. Sooooo...now what? I just go to every dyno tuner in So Fla and ask, "Are you talented?...No?...Just mediocre?...Yeah, you do look a little slow, can you recommend someone smarter than you?"

Can you give me a little more to go on? Are there specific guidelines someone should give the tuner? Specifics that someone should look for from the tuner, etc?
just gimme a call jon.. i have a friend to install the pc3 and i can get you a sweet price on one also... and show you how to install the maps even..

yup i am intelligent and versitile!!

post #24 of 30 Old 12-16-2008, 09:47 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
just gimme a call jon.. i have a friend to install the pc3 and i can get you a sweet price on one also... and show you how to install the maps even..

yup i am intelligent and versitile!!
B. you are unbelievable.

The Lord didn't bless me with me too much mental acuity, physical stature, particularly good looks...(insert 30 minutes elapsed time while list of underachievement continues)... but He did surround me with good people!

post #25 of 30 Old 12-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post

If there aren't any good tuners in your area, you can post up your mods and ask folks who have the same mods which downloaded map they are using (that they like). Try each one and see which one your bike responds best to. In all likelihood, there is a good tuner somewhere in South Florida. Try to stop by a trackday and ask folks who is doing the dynotuning in your area. If you find a couple of folks in the fast group all using the same tuner, there is a pretty good chance the person has good skills. The place the successful racers go is a good sign. When you talk to the person (the tuner) they should ask you what you want out of your tune (better day to day, max power, combination or even gas mileage). Also, they can usually explain ad nauseum the details of the map in three dimensions.

Good Luck, Steve

post #26 of 30 Old 12-16-2008, 10:21 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Also, they can usually explain ad nauseum the details of the map in three dimensions.
Thank you, Sike. "Ad nauseum". Frickin' perfect.

post #27 of 30 Old 12-17-2008, 06:27 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #28 of 30 Old 12-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Bryce919er,

Is that the same map as the one identified as "919satonew1.map" at Mike's www.919.org website? I have the CF newer version Satos with no other mods, and it starts and runs great.

...seems like when there is a snag, the PC is hard to troubleshoot, and when it's good, it's great...with no intermediate steps...

post #29 of 30 Old 12-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Bryce919er,

Is that the same map as the one identified as "919satonew1.map" at Mike's www.919.org website? I have the CF newer version Satos with no other mods, and it starts and runs great.

...seems like when there is a snag, the PC is hard to troubleshoot, and when it's good, it's great...with no intermediate steps...
No, its the one after thats "refined for smoother shifting."

I have the same engine/intake/ehaust setup as LDH from air intake trumpet to exhaust tip.

Mine used to start fine, still does on rare occation, but usually not.

post #30 of 30 Old 12-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i am running one of the european maps...the 505map... and i am 3 bars rich low 2 rich med 2 high and mine is running like its butts on fire and its hair is catching...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode