Poor Excuse For A Dealer - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 09-27-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Poor Excuse For A Dealer

Just wanted to see if I am the only person who feels this way...

Does Honda let just anyone be a dealer for them? We have a Honda motorcycle dealer in town, but they suck. The parts guy in knowledgeable, but that's about where my good comments end. They are also a dealer for Yamaha, Polaris, KTM, and Kawasaki and only have about 10 bikes total on the floor. They only have one cheap brand of helmets, no gear at all (and I mean NONE), they don't even carry oil filters or air filters in stock. I went in there wanting to buy a cargo net and they don't have those either.

The closest REAL dealership is about 40 miles away so that's not too bad. I've spoken with many local riders and they just refuse to go to our local store.

What's up with these people? Stock common items or go out of business.

Press Any Key To Continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

What is wrong? Lack of loyalty from customers.
To stock good stuff takes money. Money that is supposed to be recovered by selling things at MSRP. But noone wants to pay msrp. Nope.

Many people go to the dealer to try stuff on so they can verify their online purchase will be the right size. I cannot say I blame dealers for not taking care of customers who have no desire to take care of the dealer.

That is not to say this is the case everywhere or that their are not bad dealers. But where is the profit in sotcking stuff if every Joe Schmoe wants to just mail order stuff?

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 38 Old 09-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
... The closest REAL dealership is about 40 miles away so that's not too bad. I've spoken with many local riders and they just refuse to go to our local store.

What's up with these people? Stock common items or go out of business.
The shops in Evansville aren't bad. Superbike Performance has been decent to do business. I haven't bought a bike from them, only special order, oil, and gear.

The Honda dealer in town seems fair with bike prices and has a decent amount of gear.

All the major dealerships besides Honda are on Morgan Ave within 1/2 mile of each other.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #4 of 38 Old 09-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Immune

I have the same complaint up in Cleveland. There are ZERO shops up here that a worth a rat's ass. Honda shops around here are all service and sales. I have to ride all the way to C-bus to the iron pony for any gear.

Also, I do not blame internet sales for lack of stock. I blame bad buisness skill. My proof would be places like the iron pony. (you tube search iron pony). They sell gear exclusively. They only do minimum service, like tires and stuff, but they sell no bikes. All their money is gear. And they have a ton. So don't hand me the boo hoo internet is killing me story. Adapt and overcome. Maybe these shops have too many bikes on the floor and not enough gear. Maybe if they had some they'd sell some.

post #5 of 38 Old 09-27-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Don't get me wrong, i am a pretty loyal honda guy, but my dealer pretty much stinks. they have lots of gear, but they know very little about it and are kinda hard to deal with. I ordered a helmet and paid for it up front and it didn't come for nearly 2 1/2 months. When i kept stopping in and asking they just got upset, so i got upset, and told them i wouldn't be returning. its unfortunate when dealers don't take the time to take care of their customers, especially when there are 18 people working the showroom and only 6 customers. i've been a loyal customer for about 5 years and have spent thousands on parts for restorations and various projects, not to mention a new bike and my scooter...and there is only one person who remembers my name. Its a fairly small town, in one of the friendliest parts of the country, but they have an attitude that i don't deal with. I've been reduced to calling other dealerships that are farther away and having parts shipped to me because i refuse to go back to my local shop. Fortunately, my Guzzi dealer can get pretty much on the planet, and are wonderfully friendly even though i've not even been to their location. I'll get off my soap box now.

post #6 of 38 Old 09-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I can name several people on this board that walk into their local dealer to try on helmets, leathers, gloves, etc... just to make sure things fit before they order online. Why do they order online? To save some $$$. It is an expensive sport and I understand the desire to save, but they are doing nothing to help support local dealers.

As far aas adapt and overcome... customers can do that too. Customers have shown loyalty to the dollar time and time again. Mail order shops have jack for overhead, so it is easy for them to sell for less. Do you really thing Competition accessories has not cut into dealer profits?

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #7 of 38 Old 09-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Tesserarius

Buy that crappy dealership and run it the right way!

post #8 of 38 Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I don't buy the dealer sob story either. Prior to the internet days they made sure they took every chunk they could out of you on pricing. Plus most of them sucked monkey poo on customer service. The internet has tipped the scale in the bargain shoppers favor, seems like the dealers should have played nice and maybe people would still use them. I would love to find a fair dealer to work with it would save me a ton of hassle to get the best deals. I spend a good sized chunk on my bikes and gear, if they were smart they would capitalize on that, but they don't. so screw them, they want my business they need to throw me a bone. With that said there are a couple of trackside Vendors in my area that i use for certain things, because they are knowledgeable, helpful, and they are there when you need something.

post #9 of 38 Old 09-27-2008, 10:15 PM

Hey Scrat, what dealer are you talking about?

I have done business with most dealerships around here and have had pretty good luck.

post #10 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
I can name several people on this board that walk into their local dealer to try on helmets, leathers, gloves, etc... just to make sure things fit before they order online. Why do they order online? To save some $$$. It is an expensive sport and I understand the desire to save, but they are doing nothing to help support local dealers.

As far aas adapt and overcome... customers can do that too. Customers have shown loyalty to the dollar time and time again. Mail order shops have jack for overhead, so it is easy for them to sell for less. Do you really thing Competition accessories has not cut into dealer profits?
I agree with you. I just don't think it's the entire reason. Like a few other posts have said: if the shops had some gear and were pleasant and informed on the gear they carry, we would buy from them. I always try on gear b4 I buy it. I have a skinny torso and extremely long arms. It's accually harder for me to order gear. My point is if dealers were to carry more gear they would sell more. Instead we get an excuse and have no other choice but to order online. Basically, the dealers don't even want the little money they would make off it. Not to mention customer presence or building a good sales relationship.

post #11 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Seems like some of the smarter dealers are selling both ways...brick and mortar and internet. Alot of the new bike stuff on Ebay is sold by dealers.

post #12 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The biggest issue I have with dealers is people working at them that are just clueless and sometimes just plain dumb. I was shopping for a bike yesterday and the first dealer had a crf230l on the showroom floor, the first one I had seen at a dealer. I asked if it was serviced yet so it could be test driven. he said he thinks it just needs a battery but he would go check with someone. Came back and said what they could do is if I decided that was the bike I wanted we could get all the paperwork signed and then they could get a battery in it for a test ride. Um, at that point I would own the bike and it would not be a test ride and if I didn't like it I would already own it... That's the stuff that makes me walk out of a dealer empty handed. The same dealer had a used '07 919 for $7500 when a dealer less then 45 minutes away has a brand new '07 919 for $7200. must be dumber people in that area. I think some dealers/salesmen need to realize people can do a lot of preshopping before they ever step foot into a dealer because of all the info on the internet, they need to know their there sh*t nowadays and be knowledgeable. and do the simple things for your customer, like finding a battery to throw in a bike so it can be test ridden.

Currently there is one dealer that I really like, luckily it's in the town I work in. The salesmen are very knowledgeable, the ones I talk to race motorcycles, and they don't just tell me that to make me think they know what they are talking about, I've seen them race motorcycles. They just make an atmosphere that you want to just go in and talk with them. until yesterday the only thing I had ever bought there was a jacket, I tried on many helmets and the guy helping me there was great at it, I did go buy the helmet off the internet because I could get it a lot faster, and yes cheaper, but I did not forget about the help they gave finding one and I just bought a new motorcycle from them. Will probably be buying another motorcycle from them real soon for my wife. It may not receive immediate sales but going the extra mile for your customers will work out in the long run, they will remember even if they don't buy something that day.

post #13 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 08:16 AM
DaveCB919F4

I use my local Honda (I35 North Honda-Kent Powersports) dealer alot. I check to see what prices are online then go to my dealer and see what he can do for me. I will sometimes end up paying a little more but, I get local support in return. The 2ct front tire recall they took care of for me. I don't know if they ever got reembersed because michlen was slow paying. The parts guys do pretty good in getting the prices competive. The main thing is support the local guys. I played with radio controlled planes for awhile. Try finding a local hobby shop that supports that stuff now days. I can't comment on service because I do all my own work (except tires). I don't mind my dealship making money off me, I just don't want them covering their entire overhead of my helmet purchase. I do buy online but I give the dealer first shot.

post #14 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Brain stolen again?

Take a dump in the bathroom and put it in a hidden place with a note on it that says "Customer Service and Convenience" You could get one of those little sandwhich toothpics with the frill on it and make a little sign. Be sure to take a picture of it, as this is fpr posterity.

Hey, I do what I can for my buds.

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #15 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

it's about half & half for me.
If the local guy isn't too far out of whack I'll buy it there to support local business & enjoy the instant gratification instead of waiting for delivery. Just bought a set of tires locally for the v65. Even caught a good sale.
If I'm pressed for time or really had to browse around a lot to choose then I'll order it with the mouse.

post #16 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

We must be blessed with the local Honda dealer. They stock a lot of bikes, parts, accessories, and have a fair lineup of gear and helmets. Their prices and customer service are great. I do all my own work so can't speak for the service department. I get pretty much everything there except gear, including tires, although I have bought some gear from them.

There's a Cycle Gear store here also.

Funny, when I was looking for a Scorpion hemlet I saw two local dealers that stocked them. One was an Aprillia dealer, the other BMW. Went by the beemer dealer first and all they had was white helmets. I asked why and the parts guy said "That's all the owner lets us stock since it matches the color of the building." Oooookay. Ended up buying it at the other dealer.

I think the main point of frustration when looking for something is the answer "I can order it and have it in x number of days." So can I.

I do know the local dealer told me he had to order $10,000 worth of Alpinestar boots just to be able to carry them. Seems some kind of consignment deal would be a better deal for the manufacturer and seller.

The internet has almost destroyed the local music store business. There's still a couple around, but the neighborhood shops are all gone. Some guys I know attend the shows where you can lay hands on the stuff, figure out what they want and then order it online. Used to be you could walk into one of many local stores and do that. Sometimes you just have to change your business plan.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #17 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Tirone

Some of you guys are lucky. My closest dealership to me is about 25 miles from me. Its a suzuki and Yamaha and John deere dealer and they hardly stock bikes and 4wheelers, mostly john deere stuff. a few cruisers and maybe a total of 10 helmets. i then have bigger dealer about another 10 miles farther than this one. and this one is a kawasaki dealer. these guys are pretty nice and are fairly large too! they have a lot of helmets, gear, and bikes but like I said its only a kawai dealer. the closest honda dealer is about 1.5 hrs away from me and its another pathetic dealer and they never ever in the 6 yrs they were made every carried a 919!!! they always said that they could order em if i signed all the papers but WTF! You guys may not believe me but i have never ever seen a 919 in person ever. besides mine. I have seen one other 599 but i have never seen another 919. a good dealership is about 2.5 hrs away on the highway and i love to go see the stuff there from time to time but a 5 hr trip there and back is a lot!! i pretty much have to order my stuff online. but i do let that one kawai dealer have first shot on having gear in stock or tires but i usually have to order online. but i do let them put my tires on and i buy as much as i can from there as long as they have it in stock.

post #18 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Howdy Y'all, Well, I went into my local Honda dealership to finalize the paperwork for insurance company to buy my bike and was talking with the salesman who sold me the 919. He told me that they are having problems getting bikes from Honda and that Honda is dropping several models from their lineup. The VTX1800 has been shelved for 2009 as well as other models too. The fact that they dropped the 919 and don't have a replacement coming didn't seem to surprise him but he said that Yam, Suz, and Kawi are having none of the problems that he claims Big Red is. They only had three Hondas in stock, just said they couldn't get anything but a few sportbikes. Might be the economy and the money bailout thing, who knows, or it could just be their dealership not playing fair with Honda.
Anyone else have their dealership running low with Hondas on the showroom?
As far as buying stuff from the dealerships around here is that none of them except the Hardly dealer, with their multi million dollar showroom has any decent selection of assessories to try on and buy and the ones they do are at least two prices higher than what the internet shows. It's a shame really!
I have an old Navy bud who owns nothing but HD and he told me a long time ago that HD stands for "Hundred Dollars" cause that what your bill is gonna be at least at the check out counter!

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #19 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 10:55 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Bigdaa wrote "Take a dump in the bathroom and put it in a hidden place with a note on it that says "Customer Service and Convenience" You could get one of those little sandwhich toothpics with the frill on it and make a little sign. Be sure to take a picture of it, as this is fpr posterity."

Bigdaa- You are my kind of guy! Too damned bad there is a complete continent between us as I sure like to shake your hand my friend! I have several friends who have spoken their minds to businesses in the same method as you've described.
Funny stuff!!!

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #20 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
The shops in Evansville aren't bad. Superbike Performance has been decent to do business. I haven't bought a bike from them, only special order, oil, and gear.

The Honda dealer in town seems fair with bike prices and has a decent amount of gear.

All the major dealerships besides Honda are on Morgan Ave within 1/2 mile of each other.
The Evansville stores are the ones I was talking about. There are like 4 good stores right there together and the Honda shop is on the other side of town. All of them are nice, have things in stock, and are low enough that it is worth the extra 5% or less to get it local.

My problem is not so much the gear as it is a lack of parts. When I picked up my oil for my last oil change, I got the last bottle. The guy behind the counter said "good thing you got oil because we don't have another truck coming for eight days"... Seriously?!? and no oil filter or air filter in stock. Shouldn't this be something they stock for their own service department?

HondaJim: I actually bought my 919 from the BMW motorcycle dealer in downtown Louisville. My only complaint was they were as slow as Christmas. My dad drove there with me so I could ride back and was sitting in the showroom so long that he almost bought one. Must be a new marketing ploy. They had plenty of really expensive BMW branded gear, but I figure if you are spending $20,000 on a bike, you won't care to drop $1,000 for some textiles.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #21 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Back in the day

I have what is probable the worst Honda dealer in the nation here. It is called The House of Power. Over a yer ago I went in to get some exhaust header gaskets when I did the center stand on the 919. I figured I would change them out when I loosened them to move the exhaust. He quoted me about five dollars a gasket plus six dollars per for shipping because they had to special order them. I said WHAT. He said take it or leave it. So I left it. I went there to get an extra key for the RC51 and they would not cut me a key. He refused to do it. They said I could buy a blank for 22 dollars if they had it in stock if not it would be another 6 dollars for shipping. Then I was on my own to get it cut and they did not know anyone to do it. I sent the key to my son in Tampa and he took it to Performance Honda and they cut him a key for 10 dollars. The House of Power has an 04 RC51 for sale a nice bike but it has been dropped on the right side, lightly, and they want 15k for the bike. This people are such a joke but I guess we have enough stupid people here that they stay in business. I get all of my Honda parts online it is quick and easy.

post #22 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Milites Gregarius

I try to avoid the Honda dealer unless I need a honda specific part. (Last part was a break light.) For anything else we have three Cycle Gear's within 20 miles of my house and work. If they don't have it in stock they can usually get it in a day or two.

I got no time for the jibba-jabba. - Mr. T
post #23 of 38 Old 09-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Kendallville Indiana - Hayden's Honda Powerhouse. Great selection, knowledgeable and on the ball. The are three generations into the Honda thing and are VERY community minded.

I like the convesations on supporting your local whatever. Box stores are hard on the local Bait and Tackle, Hardware stores etc... . I don't know what is harder on local retail - the internet or the box stores... .

I do know that no shipping costs and typically a four day or less wait for parts and technical know-how keep me going back to our Honda shop.

I bought my 919 off of Craigslist and they didn't flinch. They were excited for my purchase. Of course tires and modulators and etc... they know they get a piece of the pie. That is loyalty to the customer or just common sense.

post #24 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 07:29 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Obermeyers in Jasper=Good Dealer. No, Great dealer.

post #25 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

+1 on Obermeyers

M&E Honda in Bedford is really good for anything other than brand new bikes.

My biggest complaint on any dealership, and this counts cars, bikes, gear anything at all is when I go in and know more about the product than the sales guy. I realize that I am a junkie and research everything but they should still at least know what I do.

post #26 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 06:27 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

West Monroe,La

The dealer here in town has his lil daughters working the floor. And another lil girl friend in parts and all they know is, it comes in Red and Black, which do you like?
The other dealer has top $$$ on everything in the store and won't bargain or even trade in. So both are out. The next is 25 miles West at Ruston and they were good till he started carrying hunting and gardening too.
I went to G.N. Gonzales Honda in Baton Rouge,La ~ 200 miles south and beat the Ruston dealer $1800.00 on the 919. I still buy most parts from Ruston, though. I buy my tires from a small local Bike and Atv tire shop.
My findings are, the older dealers who have been riders all their life, and love bikes will bend over backwards to put you on a bike. And they will find you parts.

[
post #27 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

This is really funny- a few weeks ago I was taking wiht the Yamaha DSM for my area and this exact subject came up. I mentioned I started workign for a Honda dealership that was almost exactly like the one here, bad wood pannleing, crappy facility and no P/A in stock - granted, the shop I worked at had some good folks working there ,so ,it wasnt as bad - here in Burlington, it isnt the same story , crappy/really bad people work there and to top it all off, they just dont care if you get what you need or not. And according to the DSM, thats the norm for Honda dealers around here, with a rare few exceptions.

So, what do we as enthusists do ? Support the shops you do like as much as you can - if cycle gear has a jacket or part cheaper, just ask them to match it, if they want your business ( as most of the dealer do now, thanks to the economy in the crapper ) they will try to match it - Just bear in mind, if you go and get the stuff @ Cycle gear or on line , will those sourses be able to sell yo ua new bike a bit cheaper or handle your warranty/service work ? Believe me, the good dealerships can and do help those who help them -

post #28 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Believe me, the good dealerships can and do help those who help them -
+1

My local Honda shop took care of me when given the opportunity. Some bad fork seal work by their mechanic was fixed and the Service Department manager got to the bottom of it and made me want to do more business with them.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #29 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
+1

My local Honda shop took care of me when given the opportunity. Some bad fork seal work by their mechanic was fixed and the Service Department manager got to the bottom of it and made me want to do more business with them.
Admit it, you were doing wheelies.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #30 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Admit it, you were doing wheelies.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #31 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
+1

So you're saying you blew a seal?

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #32 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 11:43 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I have seen both side of the token and I could tell you horror stories from both sides... this industry is no walk in the park for sure.

Most Multiline Dealerships are being bought out by Big Corporations... that should tell you something right away about customer service.

I have seen a guy bitch and moan because he can get the oil filter online for 7 dollars and the dealer wanted 9.95 for it (msrp), swearing that he will no longer comeback to buy anything there.

I have also seen a guy drop his 1975 beat up to hell CB750 for a new chain service and then comeback to complain that the bike won't start now and the dealer most be at fault and has to pay to fix it.

This is a good one, guys walks in on Friday, buys a helmet and come Monday he wants to return it because it doesn't fit or it really was not the helmet he wants to buy and wants his money back!

I have seen dealers hire people from the street with no experience and put them to work on 10K bikes, the same goes for Parts personnel, kids right out of Highschool or drop outs that wouldn't know where a spark plug goes in a bike, telling a knowleadgble rider that the BMR4 spark plug (lawnmore type) is the one he needs for his GoldWing... things of that Nature.

I have seen Dealers tack on onto fees on a Rebel 250 where the guy paid about 7K when all was said and done... do you think that guy will come back or look into buying another bike after that?

The parts Manager (kid on his early 20's) where we purchase our parts knows less about parts that I have forgotten, problem is that, he thinks he knows and won't accept help to expedite his work or make it more efficient. Onwer is scratching his head as to the why his parts department doesn't make any money!

Back when I was working at a Dealership, we used to have about $ 250,000.00 worth of parts and accessories (New or Used Units not included here) and people still complained that I should have the parts he is needing desperately. I know of dealers with Half a Mil to a Mil and they go through the same predicament.

Like I said, hard to explain the behavior. What I think is happening more and more and that people looking to save $$$ loose sight of the difference between saving $$$ with no future customer service and paying a little more to someone who will have his back if a problem arises with what he'd purchase.

If you call our store, the phone will be picked up 9 times out of 10 (hey, sometimes we have to go to Laguna or Indy to watch some racing ). We will inmediately tell you that we don't stock anything but we can get it for you, some people get annoyed by it, I rather be up front.

Dang it... I told myself I wouldn't get off on a rant here!

post #33 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Tirone??

Talking about Honda Dealerships, the one in my town told me that my 919 was not fuel injected. Supposedly those throttle bodies are carbs, and the choke is for the carbs. Learned a lot that day.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #34 of 38 Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 AM
rider

what a can of worms!

as a salesman at a multi-line dealer i can find agreement and arguement for every point stated. these days the motorcycle business is tough no matter how you slice it.

but don't talk about loyalty on the part of the dealer and certainly not the customer. our customers cover every area of the business world and none of them would sell their product or services for what they expect the dealer to sell their product. they want rediculous discounts with little or no concern for the fact that I am trying to make a living just like they are. they will drive across town to save $100 and then want us to kiss their a$$ when they have a problem because we have to support the product per the manufacturers requirements.

when it comes to accessories and parts that is an entirely different world. the problem is there is so much variety in motorcycles and the manufacturers are continually changing the product (which is not a bad thing). the cost of carrying inventory is astronomical. the internet has been a boom for alot of people but has put a real burden on the local dealer to be competitive and still make a profit.

let's not even discuss the personnel issues. this problem is not unique to the motorcycle industry. finding competent assistance in any retail business is difficult to say the least.

so having said all this, yes there are good shops and bad shops. unfortunately a good one isn't always in a convenient location. it is just the cross we all have to bear. but find a dealer that you can live with and support them. the few extra dollars you spend with be worth it.

post #35 of 38 Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotsteam View Post
Talking about Honda Dealerships, the one in my town told me that my 919 was not fuel injected. Supposedly those throttle bodies are carbs, and the choke is for the carbs. Learned a lot that day.
wow speechless.... we get classes to teach us about each bike (had one this morning on the 09 models) those guys are tardicated

post #36 of 38 Old 10-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
So you're saying you blew a seal?
no, it's just a little ice cream.

post #37 of 38 Old 10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Sixty-9er

Ugh. I just moved to the Chicagoland area from Iowa and the dealers out here are just the same. I walked around for a few minutes and was actually wanting some gloves. Maybe it's cause I'm a sport bike guy. Maybe it's cause I was wearing gear especially a Joe Rocket jacket that says Honda about 23 times on it. Maybe it was cause I was the only one in there at 3pm on a Wednesday afternoon. But sh!t can a brother at least get a "how ya doing?" It wasn't like it was busy. 3 salesmen and 2 parts guys and not one said ANYTHING to me. Fox Valley Cycles in Aurora, IL you stink. F your dealership. You suck at customer service. I don't expect anyone to bend over backwards for me but make it known I in the store. You lost a sale. All dealerships are the same. I used to ride Yamaha...sh!t they didn't even like dealing with bikes. All about "sleds" and ATVs. When I rode Kawi, least they would order my stupid parts for my old bike. Now I ride a Honda and it's crap like this that makes people buy online. I thought it was an Iowa thing, turns out it's a stealership thing.

end rant.

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #38 of 38 Old 10-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Brain stolen again?

Precision Motorcycle Service

Dan Waller

Goleta CA

he's not a dealer, he's a mechanic and has good guys working for him. He is the only guy in a 100 mile radius that I'll have wrench my rides.

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode