Pocket Tire Plugger works! Best $32 invested so far! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 12:04 AM
hairball919

Pocket Tire Plugger works! Best $32 invested so far!

I would have never expected to get a flat tire, especially on my new bike with just over 2500 mile on the tires! But it happened today! On I-5, in a 70mph zone! Cars wizzing by like rockets. Of course I was "smart enough" to add "Emergency" Road Service to my Progressive insurance (what a joke: OVER an hour until a tow could get there)! I was just getting ready to push my bike a half mile just to get it off the main freeway (okay, okay, "push" while it was running and in 1st). Anyway, a nice motorist finally stopped, and he had a 12v tire compressor! And it just so happened I had recently purchased a Pocket Tire Plugger kit! With that guy's help in turning the flat back tire, we found the hole! With this cool Pocket Tire Plugger kit, I had the hole plugged in a matter of minutes! Then after about 20 pounds of air, which got me off the freeway, I was able to get to a gas station and top off the air.

I am SSSSOOOOO glad I bought this kit! I'm cheap, so I didn't get the cO2 cartridges. But when I got home, I immediately went to their site and ordered their really cool tire pump! Clips to your motorycle battery with clips!

I will forever recommend the Pocket Tire Plugger to EVERYONE! It saved my life and got me on the road within minutes after I had a source for inflating the tire.

BUY ONE! You'll be glad you did! At least check it out!

http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I bought mine fron Aerostich. I got the one with CO2 inflation. I've had to use it once while in Asheville and it worked great. Mushroom plugs are the only way to go for on the rim repairs.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

http://psychedelic.com/plugs.htm

Mushroom plugs you say?

post #4 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 02:40 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

you are going to replace the tire now.... right?? shawn???

post #5 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 04:05 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
you are going to replace the tire now.... right?? shawn???
I had a brand new tire on last year when I got a screw in it. First day out on a weeklong trip to Asheville. Rode it the whole week and back home. Left it on. Rode it all last year. Just took it out for the first time this year on Wednesday. Tire is holding pressure fine and the wear looks good. Matter of fact, the plug has almost disappeared. I wouldn't trust a "standard" sticky worm type plug at all, but these things seem pretty safe. Just my opinion, but I'd ride it. I've put just short of 6,000 miles on it so far.

If it was in the front I may feel differently.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Awesome success story Hairball. If I am traveling very far from home I carry a tire repair kit (Plugger and C02 Cartridges). Haven't needed it yet but I'm sure its a matter of time. Glad you had a good samaritan help you!

post #7 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 05:22 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

well i have been very lucky so far, not flats but i really should look into having somthing like that, always wondering off by myself.

post #8 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I would replace that tire right away.

Spoiler:

post #9 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I had a brand new tire on last year when I got a screw in it. First day out on a weeklong trip to Asheville. Rode it the whole week and back home. Left it on. Rode it all last year. Just took it out for the first time this year on Wednesday. Tire is holding pressure fine and the wear looks good. Matter of fact, the plug has almost disappeared. I wouldn't trust a "standard" sticky worm type plug at all, but these things seem pretty safe. Just my opinion, but I'd ride it. I've put just short of 6,000 miles on it so far.

If it was in the front I may feel differently.

IMHO .... Skin grafts and casts cost more a 150$ tire......

I'm just saying

post #10 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Milites Gregarius

I am going to get three of those emergency plug and co2 kits for my sons and myself.
We were out last Saturday and I was riding one of my son's gsxr 600 and he was on my 919 when I had a flat. We were an hour away from the nearest pickup truck. since they did not know where we were one of them stayed and two of us went to get my sons truck.
On a side note (and at the risk of a thread jack), the road we were on is pretty popular for motorcycles and I knew that a lot would stop to see if he needed help. He said for the 2 1/2 hours he waited on us he saw a lot of cruiser type bikes go by.
None of them stopped.
I've stopped and offered my help to sportbikes while I was on my cruser and stopped for harleys while on my 919.

post #11 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
IMHO .... Skin grafts and casts cost more a 150$ tire......

I'm just saying
If you had ridden with him, you would understand why he trusts it. He ain't no slouch.

The product obviously works well when applied correctly and I wholly trust Jim's advice.

But, it's your bank account, you are free to spend at will.

post #12 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Glad to hear it went smooth hairball...And thanks for posting! I need to pick up one of those kits

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #13 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
If you had ridden with him, you would understand why he trusts it. He ain't no slouch.

The product obviously works well when applied correctly and I wholly trust Jim's advice.

But, it's your bank account, you are free to spend at will.
I know he is highly skilled rider as are you...

That's why I said IMHO I would rather be 150$ poorer and be confident than worry about a plugged tire...

I make no judgment on his skill or his sense.

I simply said I would buy a new tire first chance I got. I am paranoid about stuff like plugs and patches.

I think when murphy wrote his laws he was being optimistic

post #14 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

the mushroom plugs are wonderfully effective, as i had to use a few once to get me home. it takes time to build trust in a plug! when properly installed, though, the likelyhood of it coming out is very similar to the chance of running over something else... yes, it isn't the way any of us WANT to ride, but it sure works good in a pinch! I got my kit from aerostich, also...they rock!

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 11:02 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Glad to hear everyhting worked out for you! I've had to fix a flat along I-5 in my car before and it was a pretty sketchy feeling!
I'll look into that plug kit. Thanks for the info.

post #16 of 25 Old 03-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Oh. By the way I will purchase one of these kits. Soon

Thanks for the tip

post #17 of 25 Old 03-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Guy Nicholas

I plugged one, then got nervous thinking about laying it over in a corner and having the tire go out on me...figured I would look awfully stupid if after a crash all I could say was, "I save two hundred bucks"

That being said, a buddy of mine swears by these mini-plugs, very non-invasive for those small holes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97323

Later, Guy

post #18 of 25 Old 03-15-2009, 07:31 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

Glad to hear everything turned out well and the kit worked.
I bought the one with the CO2 last year at the bike show.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #19 of 25 Old 04-03-2009, 10:07 AM
hairball919

So, call me motorcycle tire illiterate...

But why do you fellers say to replace the tire after a flat? Because I rode it to the shoulder and my have damaged the belts? Why, ol lordie, tell me, why? I mean, it's a great idea. But considering my tires only have just over 3,000 miles on them, I was thinking about waiting a wee bit.

Please, tell me why you all recommend changing a tire after a flat.

Thanks.

post #20 of 25 Old 04-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

My dad and I have the Aerostitch tire plugging kit and when I picked up the nail in florida we were able to plug it. The plug leaked real bad though and held just long enough to get me to the dealership and then enjoy a little burnout before they replaced it. I wouldnt have trusted that plug a mile farther than I rode it. But it got me where I had to go.

post #21 of 25 Old 04-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Tire abuser

The manufacturers of tire plugs, for obvious liability reasons, recommend "temporary use only - replace tire as soon as possible". They only need one or two stories of a plug popping out in a dangerous situation to destroy their business.

I have used tire plugs on sport bikes, dual sports, ATVs, my old F-150... I have never seen a properly-installed plug go bad. I trust the plugs more than I trust most cheap brands of tires. I think both the mushroom type and the good fibre type (there are some cheap ones that don't work too well) will plug a nail puncture very well - they don't do as well on rips / splits / slashes. You could make the argument, "why try to cheap out on as plugged tire?" - but there are usually a bunch of other safety compromises on a bike. It's a matter of prioritizing - you could get rid of the plugged tire and spend $200 on a new tire; or you could spend the $200 on new, better brake pads; or you could do a track day; or you could buy some good gloves. Personally, I would put replacing the plugged tire pretty low on the safety priority list (assuming it was a good tire before you got the puncture, and the person who did the plug did a good job). I agree that I feel better with a rear tire being plugged, vs the front - a rear flat is not nearly as scary as the front. I don't think it's possible to 'blow out the tire plug while leaned over' - if the plug came out, even a fairly large puncture hole would leak slowly enough to finish the turn.

It's definitely a personal choice but I don't mind riding on a well-installed plug. (I just realized I don't have a pocket tire plugger on my 9er... gotta get another one. They really are lifesavers - especially with the C02.) Just my 2 cents...

post #22 of 25 Old 04-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

If you have the ability to do a "Patch / Plug" one piece deal from the inside of the tire then that is the best resort to a repair when in the situation. Of course, when on the side of the road you really don't have that option.

I had to repair my rear tire the other day and I did it from the inside at my shop. I've done this in the past on a previous bike tire and to my knowledge, it is still holding just fine.

just my

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #23 of 25 Old 04-03-2009, 11:37 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

We plugged a tire last fall and the rider was a little nervous about it. He still won't go over 100 on it, but it's to the left of center about 1 1/2 inch and right in the middle of a big meaty spot on the tire. It's worn down now to the point where it is very difficult to find. I think he put a little over 1,000 miles on the plugged tire with no issues at all.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #24 of 25 Old 04-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I have put ALOT of miles on Cord Plugs in my tires, and never gave them a second thought. I trust MY abilities of putting the plugs in and staying in, if they do not, then the tire might get spongy and I will pull over and reinsert the plug so I can get home. I have NEVER had to do this, but that is the plan, I trust the plug as much as I trust the underpaid guy who is making the tires in the first place.

Now I will buy the new fangled plugs and trust them even more!

28 years of riding, and 28 years of pluging motorcycle tires and will continue till ..................................

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #25 of 25 Old 04-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Milites Gregarius

I have put 200 miles on my 9er and already I picked up a screw. Came home this weeknd after being TDY for two weeks to find my rear tire flat. Now it is decision time........urg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode