Plate hider? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 48 Old 11-22-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Plate hider?

I know it's pretty taboo. Especially on a levelheaded sight like this. But, I'm starting to turn slightly survivalist. You never know where things might lead. You have to admit, it's pretty sneaky. I don't think I'd really use it on the street for traffic cameras in the morning commute.

Here's a link

Any thoughts? Good, bad, terrible? DIY?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 11-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Tirone

How many places will that help you?

I mean, you'd have to have your license plate hidden to begin with... a cop will usually have the plate numbers in before even flipping on the lights...

Just remember that you can't outrun a radio and to drive safe.

If anything, flipping it over 180 degrees to reveal a different license plate would be more efficient. Then, you just run the fake license plate all the time. When the cops find out and commence to chase, ditch em and flip the plate to the real one.

post #3 of 48 Old 11-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I got a ticket a couple months ago, cuz mine wasn't "visible" enough. Could be plainly read... Just because it was bent slightly under the tail.

2 > 4
post #4 of 48 Old 11-22-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Immune

You're right. It's not really my style to run anyway. But I could think of a few other uses.

You're parked at a bar in town. 5.0 makes their rounds and has an itch for hassling motorcycles. He writes down plate numbers and waits 2 blocks down the street. I'm not implying drinking and riding in the least, but bike night? Meeting a few people out for a minute or dinner at a bar? Park on private property and flip it up.

post #5 of 48 Old 11-22-2008, 07:55 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I'd look into the ramifications of getting caught with it installed and weigh the price that way. Just having a device like this installed is illegal in my neck of the woods as I understand it.

Of course, it's possible the install would go undetected...

Do they really use speed cameras in Ohio?? I haven't gotten hit by one of those since I lived in Berlin. I hated those damn "blitzers", as they called them.

post #6 of 48 Old 11-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

post #7 of 48 Old 11-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

The more folks that are in jail from this jack *ss maneuver the sooner we will have mandatory gps tracking technology. That would reduce crimes, so it's a necessary evolution.

post #8 of 48 Old 11-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

karma's a bitch.

post #9 of 48 Old 11-22-2008, 09:32 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
The more folks that are in jail from this jack *ss maneuver the sooner we will have mandatory gps tracking technology. That would reduce crimes, so it's a necessary evolution.
that hopefully will never happen... of course if you have navigation is your auto, or your phone.. it is already set in place to happen.. but that is a big infringment on personal rights...

mandatory tracking of anything other than child molesters and rapists scares the sh!!t out of me

post #10 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 01:13 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I knew a guy who had a similar set up for his truck as the 180 idea, but it was a raising arm between the bed and the back window and he had 2 different plates that could be raised.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #11 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 06:28 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRig View Post
You're right. It's not really my style to run anyway. But I could think of a few other uses.

You're parked at a bar in town. 5.0 makes their rounds and has an itch for hassling motorcycles. He writes down plate numbers and waits 2 blocks down the street. I'm not implying drinking and riding in the least, but bike night? Meeting a few people out for a minute or dinner at a bar? Park on private property and flip it up.
Let's see in this scenario you would leave the bar or whatever and as passing the cop you would flip your plate up so it couldn't be seen? You don't think he'd stop you for not having a license plate?

The only scenario I can see that this would be useful in would be going through a toll booth or traffic camera.

post #12 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 07:06 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

My friend mounted his license plate IN FRONT of his rear tire. One of those $80 eBay fender eliminators. Cops never hassle him here in town. I can see the LEDs mounted to the top of the plate when I'm following him, but mostly I see it reflecting off his exhaust (600RR). I will say it looks extremely clean with the entire fender removed and the plate mounted to the bottom of the battery box, but I don't think I'd do it.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #13 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 07:09 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Or much simpler and not nearly as illegal...

http://www.phantomplate.com/

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #14 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Anyone know where i can buy some illegal unregistered guns?
I would not want them for everyday use, however I can think of some times it will come in handy.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #15 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 08:08 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
I would not want them for everyday use, however I can think of some times it will come in handy.
I'm sure somebody here can hook you up!

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #16 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Or you can make something like I did. I have had no problem with the cops as long as there is a light on the plate. It can be seen if you are right in behind the bike. 10 degrees to one side or the other you start missing letters. Perfect for photo radar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8inch.jpg (570.6 KB, 53 views)

post #17 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 09:51 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
Let's see in this scenario you would leave the bar or whatever and as passing the cop you would flip your plate up so it couldn't be seen? You don't think he'd stop you for not having a license plate?

The only scenario I can see that this would be useful in would be going through a toll booth or traffic camera.
i think the scenario was more having the plate hidden when it was parked

post #18 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
My friend mounted his license plate IN FRONT of his rear tire. One of those $80 eBay fender eliminators. Cops never hassle him here in town. I can see the LEDs mounted to the top of the plate when I'm following him, but mostly I see it reflecting off his exhaust (600RR). I will say it looks extremely clean with the entire fender removed and the plate mounted to the bottom of the battery box, but I don't think I'd do it.
and here if you mount the plate in front of the tire, or turn it sideways, or if you have a flip mount any of that crap it is a .... wait for it... you guessed it.... $1000.00 fine....

post #19 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

LEO should aggressively confiscate and sell all vehicles circumventing plate ID. That would help the public coffers.

post #20 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Unregistered fire arms are illegal. The plate hider is legal. Along with semi auto assault rifles even thought they can both be altered to make them illegal. In fact, most guns are legal. People use them in illegal ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Or you can make something like I did. I have had no problem with the cops as long as there is a light on the plate. It can be seen if you are right in behind the bike. 10 degrees to one side or the other you start missing letters. Perfect for photo radar.
That's a good idea. I think the law states must be visible from the rear. So it works.

Quote:
LEO should aggressively confiscate and sell all vehicles circumventing plate ID. That would help the public coffers.
I'm sure you'll do whatever mommy tells you to do like a good boy. Remember Uncle Sam always has YOUR best interest in mind. Don't worry, I'll still break the rules and you can continue to judge from your high horse.

post #21 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
karma's a bitch.
I don't understand. My karma?

post #22 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

install it and let us know how it works out

post #23 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Sike

Quote:
I'm sure you'll do whatever mommy tells you to do like a good boy. Remember Uncle Sam always has YOUR best interest in mind. Don't worry, I'll still break the rules and you can continue to judge from your high horse.
I think people should be allowed to do what they want to do, when it is something that does not have an impact on others. At the same time, I wouldn't want to hear any whining if someone did something like this and then got unwanted attention from the police, given that they tend to be interested in stuff that looks suspicious. Last, is it really fair to criticize the folks here for having negative comments regarding this topic??? Like you are entitled to do this if you want, people are entitled to have a negative impression of this activity. Why post this publicly and then complain regarding the input, given the nature of the activity???

post #24 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I agree with you sike.

post #25 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
You asked for feedback that you can't handle.
I left home at 17yr without any support since, so I think for myself.

post #26 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
You asked for feedback that you can't handle.
I left home at 17yr without any support since, so I think for myself.
Ok. This will be my attempt to anti jack this thread. I can handle your comments just fine. I don't care when you left home. Your earlier statements were passively implying that installing this on my bike would make me a criminal and you feel anyone with it installed should be arrested. And, much like you disagree with the plate hider, I disagreed with you. You made assumptions on my behalf and I made one on yours.

I'd like to propose a truce and anti jack this thread. I think it's an interesting topic and thought it would be a fun conversation on the forum. So BFF?

post #27 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 03:08 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
It would only help once. They get you by fining you many times, if they take away the fine - source (IE Your bike) they can't keep getting you. So instead they give you a fine, send you on your way and get you again on another day.

post #28 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 03:12 PM
919 City Pilot

What the hell is an illegal unregistered Firearm? A unreg machine gun??

Guns start off as S/N and Fed trans form.

After that through private sale (legal in most places) it is not traceable to the new person if the seller doesnt take down the buyers info. No legal requirement to do so in AZ at least. And Most states you dont reg you guns in that local anyway.

post #29 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegjumpflyer View Post
What the hell is an illegal unregistered Firearm? A unreg machine gun??

Guns start off as S/N and Fed trans form.

After that through private sale (legal in most places) it is not traceable to the new person if the seller doesnt take down the buyers info. No legal requirement to do so in AZ at least. And Most states you dont reg you guns in that local anyway.
LINK

post #30 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
I think the penalty for getting caught with illegal guns in Virginia would have been cheaper than the tickets I got in Virginia!

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #31 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
I don't understand. My karma?
In this case, non-conformity begets bad behavior. It gives you that justification to have one more drink, or drive/ride a little faster than you normally would because, in your mind, you are justified to do so. The rules that are in place for society somehow don't apply to you now and you should be able to push those rules to a razor's edge when it isn't at all necessary. It's your little way of "sticking it to the man." Place yourself in their shoes and in the shoes of joe public that looks at our kind with zero understanding or knowledge. All they see is you as a representation of all motorcyclists not conforming to the acceptable morals of civilized society.

Your first post was indicative of provoking a response because you knew it would not go well on this forum, yet you posted it anyway. If you do mount it, I sincerely hope it causes you no trouble and you can maintain a level head while riding. If, however, the tables should turn and it brings you negative attention from LEO or Joe Public, I have zero sympathy or consolation for you. You are responsible for your own actions.

Good karma begets good karma. Pay things forward, keep your head low and enjoy the ride. I'm learning more and more every day that my previous wild hairs are starting to backlash and bite me for previous flaws in judgement.

post #32 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 05:21 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
I guess all weapons I own are illegal then. They were handed down to me from my grandad. Like I am going to take the time to register them. No thanks.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #33 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
In this case, non-conformity begets bad behavior. It gives you that justification to have one more drink, or drive/ride a little faster than you normally would because, in your mind, you are justified to do so. The rules that are in place for society somehow don't apply to you now and you should be able to push those rules to a razor's edge when it isn't at all necessary. It's your little way of "sticking it to the man." Place yourself in their shoes and in the shoes of joe public that looks at our kind with zero understanding or knowledge. All they see is you as a representation of all motorcyclists not conforming to the acceptable morals of civilized society.

Your first post was indicative of provoking a response because you knew it would not go well on this forum, yet you posted it anyway. If you do mount it, I sincerely hope it causes you no trouble and you can maintain a level head while riding. If, however, the tables should turn and it brings you negative attention from LEO or Joe Public, I have zero sympathy or consolation for you. You are responsible for your own actions.

Good karma begets good karma. Pay things forward, keep your head low and enjoy the ride. I'm learning more and more every day that my previous wild hairs are starting to backlash and bite me for previous flaws in judgement.
VERY...VERY well put!!!!!

Pics: https://www.wristtwisters.com/album.php?albumid=176

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
2004 Honda 919 Silver and Black w/red accents
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Buell M2 shield - plasti dip black
Givi Crash bars
Dynojet PCIII, Custom Akrapovic map
Akrapovic GSXR 750 Exhaust, Shorty Carbon fiber Low mount
Custom weld job on OEM header, to enable use of center stand and GSXR exhaust
VFR front fender, re-shaped and CF wrapped
Seargent seat w/ gel insert
Custom LED Rear lights w/ Vizi-tech flasher
Competition Works Fender Eliminator, modified
Front 3-way LED Turn Signals flushmount via cbr1000r
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Michelin Pilot Road 3 - New @ 19940 8/10/11 190/55r17 rear
Dyna Beads for tire balancing
17t / 44t Sprockets, 520 conversion from LDH
New All-balls bearings thru-out 6/2012
Piaa horns 400 & 500 hertz
Ohlins rear shock from an F3, Re-Valved/Sprung- By Pro Pilot Suspension
F4i Forks, custom sprung/sealed/valved, Plasti-dipped Black
ASV shorty clutch and front brake levers - Black W/Red Adj.
Tech-Spec custom tank Pads
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Custom Handle Bars with Grip Heaters and OEM hidden switch, Hi/Lo heat
FuzeBlocks FZ-1 Power Distribution
Shorai Battery
F2P garage door opener wired to brake switch
Hydraulic rear brake switch
RC51 front brakes SP1, with 10 button rotors
Buell Ulysses Dropped Foot Peg conversion
Powdercoated: 22+ parts
etc, etc,
post #34 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 06:07 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
you need to read more... this is the link to the supreme court decision on that... and a quote just for you
Quote:
The Defendant can be found guilty of that offense
only if all of the following facts are proved beyond a
reasonable doubt

First: That the Defendant knowingly possessed a
"firearm" as defined above;

Second: That the "firearm" was not then registered
to the Defendant in the National Firearms Registration
and Transfer Record.

It is not necessary for the Government to prove the
Defendant knew that the item described in the indict-
ment was a "firearm" which the law requires to be reg-
istered.

Let me just stop here right now and look up, folks.
That doesn't mean the ordinary pistol, shotgun, rifle
that anybody can buy. It's just the certain ones that-
It's confusing because we use the term "firearm" for
that same thing that's so very lawful. It's just these
certain things that are defined that have to be reg-
istered in the National Firearms Registration and
Transfer Record.
http://www.usdoj.gov/osg/briefs/1996/w961279w.txt

read the rest for yourself.. or the cliff notes version is they are speaking of full automatic, silencers and illegal weapons in general.. i.e. weapons you need a federal firearms license *hereafter known as a f.f.l. to own and posses.....

it is perfectly fine for john q public to own, posses and carry a unregistered firearm.. as long as they are legally allowed to by law... in other words as long as they are not a convicted felon , or have been arrested, charged or convicted of domestic violence.. or have been found to be mentally defective...

as a police officer i had and still have numerous unlicensed, unregistered weapons.

post #35 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
So BFF?
Sure, be safe.

post #36 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 06:52 PM
919 City Pilot

Thx bart, I think you stated it a bit better than I.....

I will not ever reg any Of my babys as long as I can help it..My title2's is a different story....

post #37 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

All the work to avoid having the plate read will only result "sooner or later" with you being the target of a special group of hunters "COPS"....especiallly if they are traffic cops. Not only will you be ducking the occasional cop but you will be the lunch time and beer time conversation point. Stick to the track for speed and tricks.

post #38 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 07:17 PM
I had a H-D

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
you need to read more... this is the link to the supreme court decision on that... and a quote just for you

http://www.usdoj.gov/osg/briefs/1996/w961279w.txt

read the rest for yourself.. or the cliff notes version is they are speaking of full automatic, silencers and illegal weapons in general.. i.e. weapons you need a federal firearms license *hereafter known as a f.f.l. to own and posses.....

it is perfectly fine for john q public to own, posses and carry a unregistered firearm.. as long as they are legally allowed to by law... in other words as long as they are not a convicted felon , or have been arrested, charged or convicted of domestic violence.. or have been found to be mentally defective...

as a police officer i had and still have numerous unlicensed, unregistered weapons.
Thank You Barton.....many people are miss-informed!

post #39 of 48 Old 11-24-2008, 05:22 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Barton comes through

post #40 of 48 Old 11-24-2008, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
You're a police officer? What would you do if you saw a plate hider installed on a bike? Would you consider it a serious problem? What if you noticed it was installed and not used? You're the perfect person to ask.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode