Planning a trip to Barber... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 01-11-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Planning a trip to Barber...

So this April, myself, RoboStraub 919, and IndyTiger, and a few of my mates are planning a trip from Indianapolis down to Birmingham. I have wanted to learn how to dyno tune bikes and a guy from another forum is going to train me for free down there. We are planning on riding first to Knoxville, TN and camping somewhere there for the first night. Day two would consist of riding the Dragon, Foothills Parkway, the Skyway and making our way a bit further south while finding a place to camp. Day three and four at the dyno shop and checking out the museum at Barber. Day 5, ride to Memphis and find a place to camp. Day 6, ride to the Ohio River and maybe play a bit. Day 7, get home and take a shower.

If anyone lives along the route and would like 4 or 5 hooligans camping in the back yard let me know... Also, any suggestions on roads going south of the Dragon, skyway would be helpful...

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Tirone

Skyway is west takes you to tellico plains tennessee,last time I was at barber m s if I'm not misstaken it's in Leeds Alabama ,a bit west of the gap and a good days ride,.

post #3 of 23 Old 01-11-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I plan on playing a bit once we get to the dragon/skyway... The track is in Leeds but our free place to camp is in Birmingham, AL.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #4 of 23 Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 AM
rider

heading south from tellico plains you could make the run to Suches and camp at T.W.O. I am in Douglasville, about 2 hour ride from T.W.O.

My house is 4 miles south of I-20 off of exit 36. I have a large family room as well as a large back yard. You could sleep inside or camp. I also have a 3 car garage so you can park the bikes inside.

From my house via I-20 it is 115 miles to Barber and maybe another 20 to Birmingham. The welcome mat is always out, just let me know.

post #5 of 23 Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Wow! You are going WAAAAY out of the way to hit the eastern Tennessee riding.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I've been known to go out of the way to get the good stuff

post #7 of 23 Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10hornet View Post
heading south from tellico plains you could make the run to Suches and camp at T.W.O. I am in Douglasville, about 2 hour ride from T.W.O.

My house is 4 miles south of I-20 off of exit 36. I have a large family room as well as a large back yard. You could sleep inside or camp. I also have a 3 car garage so you can park the bikes inside.

From my house via I-20 it is 115 miles to Barber and maybe another 20 to Birmingham. The welcome mat is always out, just let me know.
I may take you up on that! We were looking at T.W.O. as an option...

post #8 of 23 Old 01-15-2010, 08:38 PM
just ride it...

Hey, I live about 45 minutes from the gap. Let me know when you guys are coming thru... You're best bet is to ride the sky to the top, then back into Robbinsville, cuts out a lot of back tracking.

post #9 of 23 Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

45 minutes which way? I may have a buddy in Maryville, tn that would let us stay with him but he is a bit unreliable...

post #10 of 23 Old 01-16-2010, 02:26 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

You know you guys are always welcome at my place, but in this case, I'm not much help, being only 3 hours south of Indy.

I would like to tag along for a little while, if it works out.

post #11 of 23 Old 01-16-2010, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Hey Sniper, you are more than welcome to join us though I fear you might get bored easily. We are planning on doing highway all the way to Knoxville. If you want to go with us to Knoxville, then the fun begins!

post #12 of 23 Old 01-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
But the riding is well worth it IMO,

post #13 of 23 Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 PM
just ride it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughnessy View Post
45 minutes which way? I may have a buddy in Maryville, tn that would let us stay with him but he is a bit unreliable...
I live just outside maryville in Louisville. Should be good times! I don't know to many riders from around here...

there are also some good back road routes down towards chattanooga to help break up the dullness that is super slab

post #14 of 23 Old 04-09-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

*UPDATE*

We are leaving Indy on April 25th to spend the night in Maryville, TN. April 26th we plan on riding down to the Cheraholla Skyway riding it to the Dragon. Then we will take the Dragon to Moonshiner 28. Eventually we plan on getting to TwoWheelsOnly Resort to spend the night. The 27 and 28th will be spent in Birmingham Dynoing our bikes. The 29th we will ride back to Maryville, TN to spend the night. The 30th we will spend the night in King, NC. The 1st we will ride the Blue Ridge Skyway all the way to Front Royal, VA to spend the night. The 2nd we will either take the SuperSlab or take interstate 52 back home to Indy. If anyone is interested in tagging along let me know. The guy doing the dyno stuff is Power-Tripp.com and is offering a discount on tuning if a group comes ($70 and hour). PowerCommander takes him about 2 hours for complete tuning throughout the power band.

post #15 of 23 Old 04-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Sike

Sounds like an incredible journey!!!

Have a great time.

post #16 of 23 Old 04-09-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Almost 2,500 miles covering some of the best roads east of the Mississippi...

post #17 of 23 Old 04-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

You ever been on the Blue Ridge before? If not I can offer some advice.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #18 of 23 Old 04-09-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Never been... Please give some advise! *Especially where NOT to speed!*

post #19 of 23 Old 04-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

The whole thing is 45 MPH. No commercial vehicles allowed but you may hit some viewers, campers, bicyclists, walkers along certain parts. If there is patrol it is usually more present on the weekends. Note the word usually. Here's my take on the place:

You'll be going from low to high elevations. Wear gear you can open/vent/close/shed.
It will rain, fog, sub beatdown, and possibly snow. Doesn't matter when you go the first three can happen at anytime. There are quite a few pulloff areas you can change your gear up.

The tunnels can be slick as snot, weather independent. You may be riding along nice and sunny, enter a dark tunnel that may curve so you can't see the exit, and find out unexpectedly the road is covered in slime. This coupled with the sudden darkness may find you testing your dirttrack skills.

Gas stations can be a chore to find in certain stretches so make sure you know where you are planning on going. Same for food.

Buy a Blue Ridge map, print one out, or pick one up at one of the visitor centers. Know where you are, where the food and gas stops are, and where you can exit. Also check with the main office since road closures are quite frequent due to rockslides.

IMO, the best time is during the week and during the afternoons. Early morning roads are wet and tunnels deadly. A map will help you with the tunnel layout. I've run the thing for miles (since there are few exits in some spots) at a really good clip, hard cornering the whole way. I've covered the entire parkway a few times over and it is really an experience. Plan on some camera stops along the way too.

I love that road.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #20 of 23 Old 04-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Sorry for the back to back posts, but I just wanted to say, Barber Museum is motorcycle's pinnacle. Never seen anything like it before or since. The place is absolute nirvana.

Wheels Through Time Museum is at the southern start of the Blue Ridge. I think the southern part is some of the best as far as the roadway. But the museum doesn't come close to comparing to Barber.

You're in for one fantastic trip.

post #21 of 23 Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

That is really good info! I was planning on wearing my race leathers for the trip with my rain gear easily accessible. Though I cannot afford any driving awards, 45mph seems to be a dawdle... Is the Blue Ridge as tight as the Dragon or more similar to the cherohala?

post #22 of 23 Old 04-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

The southern part is Dragonlike. The northern part Cherohala. It's kind of a mixture. Hard to explain until you've been there.

post #23 of 23 Old 04-11-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Here is the prospective trip...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode